Re: [genpcncfir] nichols, perdue or perdew

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
      Dear John,
      Sorry for my typing goof! Arden Nichols, Sr. had
      children by both women.
      I am related to Nichols through my maternal lines.

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com
    • Louise
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
        Hi John,

        Arden did have two sets of children. When his first wife died, his first set of children were already grown and married. His second set were born of his old age (as the Bible says). Minnie and Jeremiah were about the same age as their nieces and nephews. Jeremiah was eleven years old when my Granddaddy was born on March 20, 1883.

        I think you are referring to Jeremiah that was Arden Nichols' son? He was born on July 17, 1871 and died on March 19, 1950. My father and uncles thought their Uncle Jeremiah was quite a fellow. I was only three years old when their Uncle Jeremiah died and I remember them talking about him. I didn't know who he was until I started my studies on the Nichols family. Jeremiah probably missed out on the wars, but would still be in the service records (of Fort Monroe). This is the quote of what Rosemund said about Jeremiah in his uniform (on her cassette tape):

        "But Uncle Jerry came home a couple of times on furlough from Fortress Monroe and I thought that he looked like Prince Charming out of a fairy tell book. He was very blonde and very good looking and the uniform that they wore was beautiful. Powder blue trousers and a navy blue tunic with a military collar and brass buttons on the front of the tunic with eagles on them. I loved that uniform. I thought it was the most beautiful thing and he did look stunning in it. Then there was a navy blue, wool cape--sort of a cape, not an overcoat but a cape--that the soldiers had and it was lined with scarlet red flannel and that was so beautiful. Of course, what we think of now in the standing army is kacky, especially since WWI and perhaps--not since the Spanish American War. I'm sure that WWI is when the Kacky was born. It sure is the more practical outfit in every since of the word."

        She really did love her Uncle Jeremiah! My family has dark hair and olive skin. It surprised my to learn that any of the Nichols had blonde hair and blue eyes. My family must have taken after their mother's side of the family.

        Sorry I didn't learn much about the Perdews, except what I have learned from you. I'll do some research and see what I can find. Nice to hear from you again. Louise Nichols, Champion.

      • Louise
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
          I couldn't find a picture that did the uniform justice, but the pictures are of Fort Monroe.
          http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/monroe.html

        • Louise
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
            Hi John,

            Is Thomas Perdew Kate's father or grandfather? Here are four Thomas in the census of 1880. I figure one will be the one you want.

            1880 Falling Creek, Lenoir, North Carolina
            Thomas PERDEW Self M Male W 34 NC Farmer NC NC
            Sallie PERDEW Wife M Female W 30 NC Keeps House NC NC
            Bela PERDEW Dau S Female W 9 NC NC NC
            James PERDEW Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC

            1880 Louisburg, Franklin, North Carolina
            Thos. Y. PERDUE Self M Male W 31 NC Farmer NC NC
            Cathrine W. PERDUE Wife M Female W 31 NC Keeps House NC NC
            Alonzo PERDUE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
            Clifton PERDUE Son S Male W 3 NC NC NC
            Ella PERDUE Dau S Female W 10M NC NC NC
            Walter J. HAWKS Son S Male W 11 NC At Home NC NC
            Richard JOHNSON Other Male B 15 NC Plow Boy NC NC

            1880 Hollow, Bladen, North Carolina
            J. W. PURDIE Self M Male W 52 NC Farming NC NC
            Sarah PURDIE Wife M Female W 35 NC Keeping House NC NC
            Thomas J. PURDIE Son S Male W 7 NC NC NC
            J. Westley PURDIE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
            Sallie PURDIE Dau S Female W 4 NC NC NC
            Edward PURDIE Son S Male W 8M NC NC NC

            1880 Raleigh, Wake, North Carolina
            Wm. PERDEW Self M Male W 60 NC NC NC
            Sophia PERDEW Wife M Female W 55 NC NC NC
            Beckie PERDEW Dau S Female W 31 NC NC NC
            Emerline PERDEW Dau S Female W 25 NC NC NC
            Sam PERDEW Son S Male W 31 NC NC NC
            Luesa PERDEW Dau S Female W 23 NC NC NC
            Tom H. PERDEW Son S Male W 21 NC NC NC

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
              Thank you for the email, I believe you sent me a cd of that conversation,
              but it was not clear on what was being said, neverless this little
              transcript was nice.
              john

              --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:28 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

            • johncn@umich.edu
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                I think Thomas is Kate's grandfather.

                John

                --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:42 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Dear Louise,
                  He is the Jeremiah I referred to also in my reply
                  to John, so we are on the same page.
                  By the way, were the wives of Arden,Sr. kin to each
                  other?
                  Thank you for sharing your information on our
                  common ancestor. It helps me understand so much more
                  about what his life was like than I could ever get
                  from reading names and dates.
                  Later, Carol

                • John Nichols
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                    I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth certificate and it shows
                    her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think 1897, so he would be to
                    young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the Thomas Perdew that is from
                    Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas Perdew? That would made
                    that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                    Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                    County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a brother named Thomas, I think
                    this is the same line. I am not sure what year the civil war ended, but it
                    may be possible that this is the same Thomas that was in the civil war. I am
                    looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would welcome any info.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Dear John,
                      The Civil War ended around 1865, if I remember
                      correctly. As for fatherhood, there really is no
                      particular age beyond which a man can father children
                      as there is for women bearing children.
                      In fact, many men become fathers in their 50's or
                      even older. One of my professors here at J. Sargeant
                      Reynolds is retired and has an infant son.
                      Another older father is David Letterman, the
                      comedian. He, too, is the father of an infant son.
                      Letterman is also in his 60's.
                      I have read of men decades older fathering
                      children. The oldest I know of personally was 71 years
                      old.
                      Later, Carol

                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                    • jow
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                        According to the 1910 Lenoir Co census (Falling Creek) William age 20 md to Lula age 20 is the son of Thomas age 67 and Penney 65.

                        In the 1920 census they are in Carrs, Greene Co as William T 29 and Lela 29 with daughter Katie 11/

                        Jean W
                        jowgen@...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                          Thank you for replying, I found my Thomas Perdew, but being here in
                          Michigan, I am trying to find a was to find a death Certificate for William
                          Thomas Perdew that was married to Lela Letchworth. I am thinking he was
                          born in about 1897. I have his name on my grandmother's birth certificate
                          as being her father. I do know that according to the 1910 census, I think
                          my Thomas Perdew was born in about 1843. Note thet William Thomas Perdew is
                          the son of Thomas Perdew. I am trying to find death or birth records for
                          both of them. I am not sure when either of them died.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                            Jeremiah Nichols may have been in the Spanish-American War with Cuba. My husband said it was around 1998 or 1905. They wore fannel not having good uniforms.

                            --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                            > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                            > certificate and it shows
                            > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                            > 1897, so he would be to
                            > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                            > Thomas Perdew that is from
                            > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                            > Perdew? That would made
                            > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                            > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                            > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                            > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                            > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                            > brother named Thomas, I think
                            > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                            > civil war ended, but it
                            > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                            > was in the civil war. I am
                            > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                            > welcome any info.
                            >
                            > John

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • John Nichols
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                              Thank you for responding,
                              I have since found out that my great great grandad along with his brother
                              and their father Thomas, Joshua, and dad William Perdew all served in the
                              27th regiment company c in the civil war. Thomas was wounded and received a
                              civil war pension. I am using family tree maker 9.0 and was wondering how i
                              can upload it to our site?

                              this is exciting
                              john nichols

                              --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                              > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                              > certificate and it shows
                              > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                              > 1897, so he would be to
                              > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                              > Thomas Perdew that is from
                              > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                              > Perdew? That would made
                              > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                              > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                              > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                              > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                              > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                              > brother named Thomas, I think
                              > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                              > civil war ended, but it
                              > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                              > was in the civil war. I am
                              > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                              > welcome any info.
                              >
                              > John

                              Pitt County Historical Society:

                              information:

                              We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Louise
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                                I don't know how to upload it either. Maybe someone could help us with it. Louise

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                                  John, click on the website below and click on FILES. It will then let you add a file to the website. I know how you feel when you find something new about the family. Great!! Louise