nichols, perdue or perdew

  • john t. smith
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
      I am trying to find some information about Thomas Perdew or it may
      have been spelled Perdue. He was from the Pitt County or surrounding
      area. He was a Civil War verteran. My grandmother had a book that
      had his name in it as he surrendered with Robert E. Lee at
      Appromatix courthouse at the conclusion of the civil war. Also I was
      wondering if anyone had any information on Jermiah Nichols military
      records, perhaps Arden Nichols. I think it was Jeremiah that was in
      WW2. thank you
      john nichols
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
        Dear John, Arden Nichols, Sr. was the son of Robert
        William (1775) and Lydia Briley Nichols (1793). He
        married first Edith Tyson (1802), second Margaret Jane
        Tyson (1829) and had children by mother women, both
        with living descendants.
        I am not sure which Jeremiah Nichols you want.
        Jeremiah Ronald Nichols was born in 1871, the son of
        the second wife, Margaret Jane Tyson (md. Oct 30,
        1867).
        Let me know if this is he.
        I've been to Appomattox Courthouse. My first
        teaching job was in Petersburg, Virginia where the
        school overlooked the lovely, wide, rapidly flowing
        Appomattox River.
        Throughout the summer, there is always someone
        fishing off the bridge above the river. It still
        retains its rural character as does the area around
        Appomattox Courthouse, despite all the growth Virginia
        has experienced. In fact, there are still dirt roads
        not that far outside Richmond with areas that probably
        do not look much different than they did a century or
        more ago. It's easy to go back in time here.
        In fact, when we first moved to this area from
        Pitt County when I was a child, it was like having
        been transported backward to another century. That
        area, even today, looks very much the same as it did
        then. The three-room schoolhouse we attended still
        stands unchanged. Although it is no longer used as a
        school, it has been taken over by the local Ruritan
        Club and preserved. Community ball games take place on
        the ball diamond where we played our childhood games.
        The water fountain stands at the front corner of the
        school. The water was as cold as if it had been in the
        fridge. It's a shame that someone shut off the
        fountain. Those spring and summer ball players and
        spectators could certaintly use the cold water.
        The school is no more than a mile North of King's
        Dominion on U.S. Highway 1. King's Dominion is about
        3/4 of a mile South of the traffic light at Doswell,
        Virginia with the school kitty cornered from the
        traffic light on the left side of the road beyond
        Flippo's Lumber Company, where one of my classmates in
        elementary school got a job.
        Mr. Flippo was the brother of Mrs. Ann [Alton]
        Joyner, one of Mama's very best friends from church
        and a reporter with the Ashland, Virginia Herald
        Progress. She was a frequent visitor at our house. The
        four of us were close friends with her four children
        all through school. Like Mama, she had two boys and
        two girls.
        Later, Carol
        --- "john t. smith" <johncn@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to find some information about Thomas
        > Perdew or it may
        > have been spelled Perdue. He was from the Pitt
        > County or surrounding
        > area. He was a Civil War verteran. My grandmother
        > had a book that
        > had his name in it as he surrendered with Robert E.
        > Lee at
        > Appromatix courthouse at the conclusion of the civil
        > war. Also I was
        > wondering if anyone had any information on Jermiah
        > Nichols military
        > records, perhaps Arden Nichols. I think it was
        > Jeremiah that was in
        > WW2. thank you
        > john nichols

        Have a burning question?
      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
          Dear John C. Nichols,
          Most US man, who fought in WWII, were born between
          1900-1930ish. Also, if he were still living as many
          are, you could just speak to him about his war
          experiences.

          If his records were not destroyed by the mid-1970's
          fire, you may send for his Military records if you are
          next of kin or have their permission.

          Those who are no longer living, but survived the war
          and lived after 1960, may be on the SSDI - there were
          three I found [SS# removed].

          Name, Birth-date, Death-date, residence (see SSDI
          notes) & State for SS#
          JEREMIAH NICHOLS 30 Jul 1914 24 Apr 1990 (none
          specified) New Jersey
          JEREMIAH NICHOLS 12 May 1897 Jun 1976 36701 (Selma,
          Dallas, AL) Alabama
          JEREMIAH NICHOLS 22 Aug 1913 May 1966 (not specified)
          Oklahoma

          No one named "Jermiah Nichols" is on SSDI.

          You mention Arden Nichols. Is your Jeremiah Nichols
          related to him? Are your Nichols from Pitt County
          area?
          Marcia

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • johncn@umich.edu
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
            Yes, my line of nichols is from pitt county, my great grandfather was
            Jeremiah nichols justice of peace

            --On Monday, December 4, 2006 10:48 AM -0800 Marcia McLawhorn

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
              Dear John,
              Sorry for my typing goof! Arden Nichols, Sr. had
              children by both women.
              I am related to Nichols through my maternal lines.

              Cheap talk?
              http://voice.yahoo.com
            • Louise
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                Hi John,

                Arden did have two sets of children. When his first wife died, his first set of children were already grown and married. His second set were born of his old age (as the Bible says). Minnie and Jeremiah were about the same age as their nieces and nephews. Jeremiah was eleven years old when my Granddaddy was born on March 20, 1883.

                I think you are referring to Jeremiah that was Arden Nichols' son? He was born on July 17, 1871 and died on March 19, 1950. My father and uncles thought their Uncle Jeremiah was quite a fellow. I was only three years old when their Uncle Jeremiah died and I remember them talking about him. I didn't know who he was until I started my studies on the Nichols family. Jeremiah probably missed out on the wars, but would still be in the service records (of Fort Monroe). This is the quote of what Rosemund said about Jeremiah in his uniform (on her cassette tape):

                "But Uncle Jerry came home a couple of times on furlough from Fortress Monroe and I thought that he looked like Prince Charming out of a fairy tell book. He was very blonde and very good looking and the uniform that they wore was beautiful. Powder blue trousers and a navy blue tunic with a military collar and brass buttons on the front of the tunic with eagles on them. I loved that uniform. I thought it was the most beautiful thing and he did look stunning in it. Then there was a navy blue, wool cape--sort of a cape, not an overcoat but a cape--that the soldiers had and it was lined with scarlet red flannel and that was so beautiful. Of course, what we think of now in the standing army is kacky, especially since WWI and perhaps--not since the Spanish American War. I'm sure that WWI is when the Kacky was born. It sure is the more practical outfit in every since of the word."

                She really did love her Uncle Jeremiah! My family has dark hair and olive skin. It surprised my to learn that any of the Nichols had blonde hair and blue eyes. My family must have taken after their mother's side of the family.

                Sorry I didn't learn much about the Perdews, except what I have learned from you. I'll do some research and see what I can find. Nice to hear from you again. Louise Nichols, Champion.

              • Louise
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                  I couldn't find a picture that did the uniform justice, but the pictures are of Fort Monroe.
                  http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/monroe.html

                • Louise
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Hi John,

                    Is Thomas Perdew Kate's father or grandfather? Here are four Thomas in the census of 1880. I figure one will be the one you want.

                    1880 Falling Creek, Lenoir, North Carolina
                    Thomas PERDEW Self M Male W 34 NC Farmer NC NC
                    Sallie PERDEW Wife M Female W 30 NC Keeps House NC NC
                    Bela PERDEW Dau S Female W 9 NC NC NC
                    James PERDEW Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC

                    1880 Louisburg, Franklin, North Carolina
                    Thos. Y. PERDUE Self M Male W 31 NC Farmer NC NC
                    Cathrine W. PERDUE Wife M Female W 31 NC Keeps House NC NC
                    Alonzo PERDUE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
                    Clifton PERDUE Son S Male W 3 NC NC NC
                    Ella PERDUE Dau S Female W 10M NC NC NC
                    Walter J. HAWKS Son S Male W 11 NC At Home NC NC
                    Richard JOHNSON Other Male B 15 NC Plow Boy NC NC

                    1880 Hollow, Bladen, North Carolina
                    J. W. PURDIE Self M Male W 52 NC Farming NC NC
                    Sarah PURDIE Wife M Female W 35 NC Keeping House NC NC
                    Thomas J. PURDIE Son S Male W 7 NC NC NC
                    J. Westley PURDIE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
                    Sallie PURDIE Dau S Female W 4 NC NC NC
                    Edward PURDIE Son S Male W 8M NC NC NC

                    1880 Raleigh, Wake, North Carolina
                    Wm. PERDEW Self M Male W 60 NC NC NC
                    Sophia PERDEW Wife M Female W 55 NC NC NC
                    Beckie PERDEW Dau S Female W 31 NC NC NC
                    Emerline PERDEW Dau S Female W 25 NC NC NC
                    Sam PERDEW Son S Male W 31 NC NC NC
                    Luesa PERDEW Dau S Female W 23 NC NC NC
                    Tom H. PERDEW Son S Male W 21 NC NC NC

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Thank you for the email, I believe you sent me a cd of that conversation,
                      but it was not clear on what was being said, neverless this little
                      transcript was nice.
                      john

                      --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:28 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                        I think Thomas is Kate's grandfather.

                        John

                        --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:42 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Dear Louise,
                          He is the Jeremiah I referred to also in my reply
                          to John, so we are on the same page.
                          By the way, were the wives of Arden,Sr. kin to each
                          other?
                          Thank you for sharing your information on our
                          common ancestor. It helps me understand so much more
                          about what his life was like than I could ever get
                          from reading names and dates.
                          Later, Carol

                        • John Nichols
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                            I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth certificate and it shows
                            her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think 1897, so he would be to
                            young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the Thomas Perdew that is from
                            Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas Perdew? That would made
                            that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                            Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                            County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a brother named Thomas, I think
                            this is the same line. I am not sure what year the civil war ended, but it
                            may be possible that this is the same Thomas that was in the civil war. I am
                            looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would welcome any info.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                              Dear John,
                              The Civil War ended around 1865, if I remember
                              correctly. As for fatherhood, there really is no
                              particular age beyond which a man can father children
                              as there is for women bearing children.
                              In fact, many men become fathers in their 50's or
                              even older. One of my professors here at J. Sargeant
                              Reynolds is retired and has an infant son.
                              Another older father is David Letterman, the
                              comedian. He, too, is the father of an infant son.
                              Letterman is also in his 60's.
                              I have read of men decades older fathering
                              children. The oldest I know of personally was 71 years
                              old.
                              Later, Carol

                            • jow
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                                According to the 1910 Lenoir Co census (Falling Creek) William age 20 md to Lula age 20 is the son of Thomas age 67 and Penney 65.

                                In the 1920 census they are in Carrs, Greene Co as William T 29 and Lela 29 with daughter Katie 11/

                                Jean W
                                jowgen@...

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                                  Thank you for replying, I found my Thomas Perdew, but being here in
                                  Michigan, I am trying to find a was to find a death Certificate for William
                                  Thomas Perdew that was married to Lela Letchworth. I am thinking he was
                                  born in about 1897. I have his name on my grandmother's birth certificate
                                  as being her father. I do know that according to the 1910 census, I think
                                  my Thomas Perdew was born in about 1843. Note thet William Thomas Perdew is
                                  the son of Thomas Perdew. I am trying to find death or birth records for
                                  both of them. I am not sure when either of them died.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                                    Jeremiah Nichols may have been in the Spanish-American War with Cuba. My husband said it was around 1998 or 1905. They wore fannel not having good uniforms.

                                    --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                                    > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                                    > certificate and it shows
                                    > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                                    > 1897, so he would be to
                                    > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                                    > Thomas Perdew that is from
                                    > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                                    > Perdew? That would made
                                    > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                                    > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                                    > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                                    > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                                    > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                                    > brother named Thomas, I think
                                    > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                                    > civil war ended, but it
                                    > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                                    > was in the civil war. I am
                                    > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                                    > welcome any info.
                                    >
                                    > John

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • John Nichols
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                                      Thank you for responding,
                                      I have since found out that my great great grandad along with his brother
                                      and their father Thomas, Joshua, and dad William Perdew all served in the
                                      27th regiment company c in the civil war. Thomas was wounded and received a
                                      civil war pension. I am using family tree maker 9.0 and was wondering how i
                                      can upload it to our site?

                                      this is exciting
                                      john nichols

                                      --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                                      > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                                      > certificate and it shows
                                      > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                                      > 1897, so he would be to
                                      > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                                      > Thomas Perdew that is from
                                      > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                                      > Perdew? That would made
                                      > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                                      > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                                      > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                                      > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                                      > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                                      > brother named Thomas, I think
                                      > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                                      > civil war ended, but it
                                      > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                                      > was in the civil war. I am
                                      > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                                      > welcome any info.
                                      >
                                      > John

                                      Pitt County Historical Society:

                                      information:

                                      We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Louise
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                                        I don't know how to upload it either. Maybe someone could help us with it. Louise

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                                          John, click on the website below and click on FILES. It will then let you add a file to the website. I know how you feel when you find something new about the family. Great!! Louise