Re: [genpcncfir] Tom Thumb

  • Faye Silliman
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
      Here I am thinking you have a Pitt County link to Tom
      Thumb and that would explain why I am so short.

      Is this sausage in a casing? Do you want to cook it
      all at once?

      If so, in a heavy skillet put a little water and
      sausage and heat on medium with lid on for a few
      minutes. This will ensure the pork is done. Take the
      lid off and let the liquid cook off slowly. There
      should be enough fat cooking out of the sausage to
      brown it. Just keep turning and letting it brown and
      you are done.

      2. Or you can take the casing off and crumble it and
      brown it in a skillet to use in all kinds of dishes.
      (rice, casseroles, biscuits, corn bread, sausage
      balls)

      3. Throw in a pot of collar greens and just boil
      away. Yummy.

      Bon Apetite!

      --- Julian Byrd <jcbunc@...> wrote:

      > I know this is off topic, but I bought a Tom Thumb
      > sausage from the Nahunta Pork Store when I was home
      > in NC recently and I don't quite know how to cook
      > it. Just slice and Fry?? Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Julian

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com
    • Charity Ackerman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
        Julian, if you cook it with collard greens I'll be down
        Charity

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2006
          Julian, Invite me too! Then you are bound to have a
          full house!! Carol

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2006
            http://www.tomthumb.com/

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
            chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
            before us and showed us the way."

            Thomas Mann

            All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
          • Faye Silliman
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2006
              Now I have the urge for collards. It is better to
              cook for a crowd. I quess I could cook a "mess" for
              myself and freeze them. Something in me shutters at
              the thought of frozen collards.

              They are best after the first frost. Sometimes I
              wonder whether I miss my kids being home or just miss
              cooking for them. I think it is both. Thanksgiving is
              coming up.

              Can we share good Pitt County Family recipes here?

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2006
                Faye,
                About those collards, want to know when they are
                really at their best? It's after they have been in the
                fridge, not frozen but on the shelf, overnight. Take
                them out. Take out the frying pan [skillet, griddle,
                or spider or call it what you will], turn the burner
                on "Medium." Add 2 tablespoons of bacon grease to the
                pan. Let the grease begin gently to steam. Add those
                greens. Put the lid over the pan. Give them about 5
                minutes or so, and serve them.
                If you have some sweet potatoes baked fresh from
                the oven and some corn bread cakes hot from another
                frying pan, and throw in a tall glass of iced tea, you
                are in for one of the best meals of your life.
                That, at least, is my take on things!
                Can you discuss/offer recipes? I think so. We'll
                know for sure, in any case, should anyone tire of the
                subject. Until then, happy eating.
                Later, Carol

                Want to start your own business?
                Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
              • Faye Silliman
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
                  I am going to try this. Today I have to have some real
                  home-cooking.

                  > Faye,
                  > About those collards, want to know when they are
                  > really at their best? It's after they have been in
                  > the
                  > fridge, not frozen but on the shelf, overnight. Take
                  > them out. Take out the frying pan [skillet, griddle,
                  > or spider or call it what you will], turn the burner
                  > on "Medium." Add 2 tablespoons of bacon grease to
                  > the
                  > pan. Let the grease begin gently to steam. Add those
                  > greens. Put the lid over the pan. Give them about 5
                  > minutes or so, and serve them.
                  > If you have some sweet potatoes baked fresh from
                  > the oven and some corn bread cakes hot from another
                  > frying pan, and throw in a tall glass of iced tea,
                  > you
                  > are in for one of the best meals of your life.
                  > That, at least, is my take on things!
                  > Can you discuss/offer recipes? I think so. We'll
                  > know for sure, in any case, should anyone tire of
                  > the
                  > subject. Until then, happy eating.
                  > Later, Carol
                  > --- Faye Silliman <eyafydal@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Now I have the urge for collards. It is better to
                  > > cook for a crowd. I quess I could cook a "mess"
                  > for
                  > > myself and freeze them. Something in me shutters
                  > at
                  > > the thought of frozen collards.
                  > >
                  > > They are best after the first frost. Sometimes I
                  > > wonder whether I miss my kids being home or just
                  > > miss
                  > > cooking for them. I think it is both.
                  > Thanksgiving
                  > > is
                  > > coming up.
                  > >
                  > > Can we share good Pitt County Family recipes here?
                  > >

                  > > --- Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Julian, Invite me too! Then you are bound to
                  > have
                  > > > full house!! Carol
                  > > > --- Charity Ackerman <charity46@...>

                  > I'll
                  > > be

                  Sponsored Link

                  Don't quit your job - take classes online
                  www.Classesusa.com
                • Dani
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2006
                    I want to go back to Pitt Co, NC! Collards remind me of both my grandmothers in Winterville and Bethel. Sharing receipes is history and genealogy, so yes, I would love to read about them, and collect them. My Grandmother Kittrell made a nut cake every Christmas, it is a tradition that has kept with some of my Kittrell cousins. Not this Kittrell cousin-lol-but I may just make one this Christmas. Take care, DaniSue

                    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
                    ~ Mark Twain