Re: [genpcncfir] Widow's Pension Application for Martha Braxton

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
      Dear Karen,
      Martha Crawford was applying for the pension of her
      husband James; they were the parents of James Elias
      Braxton who married Sarah Sutton. This latter couple
      were my great grandparents.
      I believe that Jesse, whose pension she also
      applied for, was her son Jesse who was 7 years old in
      1850.
      I do not know if he ever married or if he married
      and was later widowed. Nor do I know if he died in the
      war or some years afterward.
      Of course, Jesse Braxton could have been another
      relative of her husband, but without more at my
      fingertips and from the information I do have, I am
      inclined to believe that Jesse was her son.

      > Dear Karen,
      > I am truly grateful to you for this information.
      > Martha Crawford would have been my great aunt.
      > Incidentally, my brother Howard phoned me
      > yesterday
      > wanting to put me in touch with James "Jim" Braxton,
      > young man whom he has known for some years now and
      > who
      > is from Pitt County and working at Sears. My brother
      > Howard is Chief Traffic Engineer for Henrico County
      > and is often making purchase decisions for his
      > department, and this responsibility takes him often
      > Sears and to other retailers to compare products and
      > prices. That is how he happened to make contact with
      > Jim.
      > Offhand, I believe that this Jim is another
      > lineal
      > descendant of James Braxton and Martha Crawford. Of
      > course, this is going by name only without knowing
      > more. I'll get back with you after contacting our
      > Jim
      > today.
      > Another value your information has is for its
      > medical history, not to mention the added importance
      > of showing that James himself had served in the
      > Civil
      > War. This military service helps make James more
      > than
      > just the dates between his birth and death and also
      > helps us understand the financial hardships that
      > many
      > of our families suffered when fathers and sons went
      > off to war. No doubt some still experienced
      > financial
      > hardships generations later between the losses
      > caused
      > by the war itself and the repercussions of
      > reconstruction.
      > Learning the background of Martha's poverty also
      > reinforces the idea that James was not a deadbeat.
      > All
      > too often, Americans in general look down on people
      > for being poor or for falling on hard times. If
      > poverty were a sin, I am afraid that many of us
      > would
      > lose out on heaven. Fortunately, if being poor is
      > the
      > worst than one can say of some of our family, then
      > we
      > are not so bad after all. Poverty never kept a one
      > of
      > us from continuing our struggle to rise above it or
      > from losing our self-respect.
      > After all, self-worth is not measured in dollars
      > and cents. It is measured in character, and that in
      > the end is what matters most of all.
      > Later, Carol
      >
      > --- Karen <karen@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Carol,
      > > This is just FYI. I found Martha (Crawford)
      > > Braxton's Widow's
      > > Pension Application for Martha Braxton at Archives
      > > week before last.
      > > I have been very busy and have not had the chance
      > > "digest" this
      > > yet. I thought I would pass it along to you in
> [...]

      Sponsored Link

      Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?
      http://www.netflix.com/Signup?mqso=80010030