Re: [genpcncfir] Braxtons in 1900 Census

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 2, 2006
      Dear Sammy,
      I think, without knowing the age of the Jesse
      Braxton for whom Martha Crawford Braxton claimed the
      other Confederate Pension, that this could have been
      Jesse Braxton who was 7 years old in 1850. In 1850, I
      believe that he was in the household of John Braxton
      and Sarah.
      I would imagine that Martha Crawford would identify
      him as her brother-in-law if he were the brother of
      James Braxton, her deceased husband, or that she would
      give the degree of kinship in any case. Her claiming
      his Pension leads me to think that Jesse's parents
      were deceased and that he died unmarried.

> [...]
      > re-reading your e-mails and especially your
      > information from the 1840 census, I learn that none
      > of
      > the Braxton men in that census match the children
      > listed in the family of John Braxton and Sarah as
      > given in the 1850 census.
      > If one cannot support one's hypothesis, then one
      > looks at the null hypothesis. My hypothesis was that
      > John Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James
      > Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
      > The 1840 census supports the hypothesis that
      > James
      > Braxton was not the son of the other Braxton men in
      > the 1840 census.
      > That raises the possibility that James Braxton is
      > the son of John Braxton and Sarah.
      > Someone has raised the possibility in one of the
      > e-mails to me that James Braxton who married Martha
      > Crawford is a child of Thomas Braxton and Priscilla.
      > However, there is no Thomas in my line anywhere, yet
      > there is Council, Hannah, John, and James.
      > This fact led me to narrow my search to one of
      > the
      > men named John in the 1820 census or to one of the
      > men
      > named James in that census.
      > Another piece of information that I failed to
      > mention is that Martha Crawford Braxton as widow of
      > James Crawford filed for the Confederate Pension for
      > her deceased husband James Braxton when she was 77
      > years old, reports herself as unable to work, and
      > suffering from cancer of the face for the past two
      > years. Additionally, I found that she also filed for
      > the Confederate Pension of Jesse Braxton.
      > Using this avenue to explore, do you think that
      > you
      > can find this Confederate Pension record? Would
      > Martha
      > have had to state her relationship to the soldier in
      > her application for the Pension?
      > I will be most grateful for anything you know
      > about
      > these Pensions. Discovering the relationship between
      > Jesse Braxton and James would be icing on the cake,
      > so
      > to speak.
      > Later, Carol
      >
      > --- Sammy Pierce <samurai369@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Carol,
      > > Sorry to take so long responding. I've tried
      > > locate the John Braxton
      > > family (b. Abt 1795) in the 1840 census with no
      > > luck. His father is in the
      > > 1840 Pitt census:
      > > 1840 Pitt Co., NC; John Braxton nead of household
      > > with 1 m 60-70, 1 f 15-20,
      > > 2 f 20-30, and 1 f 60-70.
      > > There is a John Braxton family in Greene Co.,
      > but
      > > he was too young (b.
      > > 1810-1830). I couldn't find a John Braxton in
      > > Lenoir or Craven, so I assume
      > > John m. Sarah was overlooked in 1840.
      > > I don't have any other documents to support
      > your
      > > rationale, but I believe
      > > the circumstantial evidence is that all your

      === message truncated ===

      Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
      (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
    • Sammy Pierce
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 2, 2006
        Carol,
        Unfortunately, I don't have any information on these pensions.

        Sammy Pierce
        Hobe Sound, FL

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 2, 2006
          Dear Karen,
          As to the Duplin County land, it means that James
          Braxton bought land there. He may also have moved to
          that area, or he may have bought the land for some
          other purpose--hunting, fishing, timber, etc. Another
          possibility is that James Braxton actually lived there
          before moving to Pitt. He may also have moved there
          from Pitt when he married and established his own
          household. Younger sons of a family, especially, moved
          when their parents had no land to give them because it
          had been given to older brothers, or their parents'
          land was still farmed by them and either they or they
          and even younger siblings depended upon this land for
          their support.
          Another reason for the move was that a young man
          married a woman from another county and then bought
          land to be near his in-laws.
          The dates of this James Braxton's land purchase
          make it possible that he is the James Braxton who was
          the father of Hannah Braxton who married Noah Harris.
          Their move to Wayne County, N.C. tells me that they
          received no land from her parents upon their marriage
          or that if they did, it was in Wayne County.
          Noah Harris himself may have been from Wayne
          County. I have not yet tracked him but have thought to
          use the Pension and land records to do so.
          From Deed Book EE, this "John Braxton father of
          James Braxton" would use this form of identifying John
          Braxton as a Head of Household or of identifying this
          particular James Braxton. He is James the son of John,
          and not James the son of James.
          Deed Book EE does not clarify if this John Braxton
          is the same as the John Braxton of Deed Book Q, p. 341
          above and the son of Thomas Braxton.
          John Braxton who married Sarah and who appears in
          the 1850 census had son James Braxton--if I am correct
          in believing that James Braxton married to Martha
          Crawford with brother John Braxton in his household is
          the son of John Braxton and Sarah. James Braxton is 30
          years old in 1850; this means that he was born around
          1819 or 1820 depending upon when his birthday fell in
          relation to the date the census was taken. However,
          this John Braxton would not have been the father of
          James in 1814!
          This leads me to think that this John might be the
          same "son of Thomas Braxton" in the 1806 land entry in
          Book Q. Only now he has a family of his own. Thomas
          died in 1797 from information in earlier land records
          I found at the State Library here in Richmond a couple
          of months ago--back in August.
          The James Braxton in Book Q, p. 63, might be the
          same "James" of the 1814 Book EE. Or not, of course.
          That leaves Jesse Braxton the witness of the 1803
          Duplin land transaction in Book Q. Jesse, too, would
          have most likely been a sibling of James and son of
          John Braxton.
          Of course, once again I can do much better at
          proving who is NOT the father of Jesse.
          We are given that John Braxton is the father of
          James; we are given that John Braxton is "another son
          of Thomas Braxton." Given the proximity of dates, it
          is possible that these are the one and same John
          Braxton.
          I am making the further distinction, though, that
          this John Braxton is not he who married Sarah since
          their sons John and James were not born until the
          1820's.
          Thomas, I believe, was the son of John Braxton and
          Mary (b. 1730 in England, in Pitt in 1750).
          John who married Sarah and who had sons John and
          James and who appeared in the 1850 census was, I
          believe, the son of John Braxton who married Hannah.
          John who married Sarah was born about 1800. He
          could not have been the son of Thomas Braxton and
          Priscilla. He was born some years after the death of
          Thomas Braxton.
          The 1915 letter of Elias Braxton of Tenneessee
          identifies his father as Lacy Braxton with brothers
          John and Council, grandparents John Braxton and
          Hannah.
          If this Council Braxton is he who married Sarah
          Rountree and fathered Augustus Braxton who married
          Gatsey Ann Tripp and had a son Elias, then this is not
          our direct line because this Elias would have been
          about 9 years old at the time my Elias Braxton married
          Sarah Sutton. The marriage record of James Elias
          Braxton to Sarah Sutton shows his parents to be James
          Braxton and Martha Crawford, so my own Cronicle II
          article written before I made this discovery is
          erroneous.
          James Braxton the brother of Felix and Warren
          Braxton moved to Tennessee, married first Elizabeth
          Parker and second Lezina Tripp. That means that this
          James Braxton, son of Joel Braxton, son of Jesse is
          not my direct line.
          By process of elimination, that leaves John
          Braxton and Hannah's son John as possible parents of
          John Braxton who married Sarah.
          Another possibility is that James Braxton, son of
          John Braxton and Mary, was the father of John Braxton
          who married Hannah.
          Then we have the Pension Claim of Hannah Braxton,
          daughter of James Braxton, for her deceased husband
          Noah Harris. Who were the siblings of this Hannah
          Braxton born in the late 1700's, married in 1810,
          moved to Wayne County shortly after her marriage, and
          then back to Pitt following the death of her husband?
          These trails are what I am still exploring. I'll
          let you know what I find out.
          Later, Carol

          === message truncated ===

          (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)