Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Julia Braxton Death Certificate - Correction

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
      Dear Kare,
      Don't let it trouble you. If I could keep up with
      all my mis-speakings, I could publish a book
      containing nothing but these.
      Julia Braxton Forbes, as you noted, was my great
      aunt because she was the sistr of my grandfather,
      Elijah Braxton. However, both of her brothers were
      married to my grandmother. Elias "Goude" Braxton
      married my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton after both
      had been widowed.
      So, Aunt Julia was my double great aunt--or my
      great aunt and my step-great aunt.
      Uncle Goude, as he was known to all of us, was the
      father of my Cousin Lester. When his dad married my
      grandmother, that made him my step-uncle as well as my
      birth cousin.
      I am still searching backwards in our Braxton line.
      To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
      married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton and
      Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
      record from the courthouse in Greenville.
      On every census record, James Braxton and Martha
      Crawford were next to John Braxton and Sarah, which
      leads me to believe that these were the parents of
      James Braxton. Martha's parents, Allen and Siddie
      Crawford, lived only a couple of households distant.
      I am thinking that John Braxton and Sarah were the
      parents of James Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
      Do you know about our line this far back from
      anything that might have come down to you or that you
      have found out?
      Thanks, Carol

    • Karen
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
        Carol,
        I don't have anything that was passed down to me on the
        Braxtons/Crawfords. My grandmother Lizzie passed away before I
        became interested in genealogy, so all that she knew is lost to me.
        The little that I know about them sounds a lot like what you know, so
        we are plowing the same ground more than likely.

        Karen

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
          Dear Karen,
          My sister and I are planning a trip to Greenville
          in December to spend the day. While there, I hope to
          get back to the Courthouse and review some of the old
          land records.
          The most recent discovery I've made was the running
          across Hannah Braxton's marriage to Noah Harris around
          1810. He had fought in the War of 1812, and she was
          filing for his pension from that war. Shortly after
          their marriage at the home of her father, James
          Braxton said the document, the couple had moved to
          Wayne County, N.C.
          Following his death, she had moved back to Pitt to
          be near her family. Possibly we could recover
          additional information on her from the Wayne County
          Censuses as well as from later Pitt County records.
          I would really like to know who her brothers and
          sisters were and who her mother was.
          Later, Carol

        • yakd49
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
            To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
            married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton
            and Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
            theparents of James Braxton who married Martha
            Crawford.Do you know about our line this far back from
            anything that might have come down to you or that

            I have been trying to follow along on this Braxton line to see if
            there may be a link to my Harrington Line.

            I have a Paul Harrington b:23 Apr 1868 d:27 Jul 1932 burried
            Winterville Cemetery. Married to Mary White b:8 May 1870 d:18 Mar 1958
            also burried at Winterville Cemetery.

            Pauls parents were James Harrington b: 1833 d:1912 and Penelope Braxton
            b:4 Dec 1885 d:30 Dec 1910.

            I have Penelope fahter listed as John Braxton and her mother Sarah
            and have them listed on the 1850 Census Griffins District Pitt Coounty
            NC. Penolope has a sister named Hannah age 20 on this 1850 census.

            Paul Harrington married Penolope and Pauls brother Allen married a
            Polly Braxton b:1879 d:1970 My notes indicate that she was born & died
            in Craven county , burried in Vanceboro, dau of John Braxton, son of
            James Braxton and Martha _____

            Polly Braxton was survived by 5 daughters
            Mary Jane McDade, Raleigh NC
            B.U. Gonick, Los Angles Ca
            Emma Lee Sutton , Vanceboro, NC
            Mrs Thad S. Toler, Askin NC
            Mrs Auther L. Foy, Norfolk Va

            My only sources are the notes I got from Greenville during the Family
            reunion and the 1850 Census. Just trying to tie in another frayed
            thread in the family tree.
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
              Dear Group Member,
              Here's the scoop! James Harrington married my
              great, great, great aunt Penelope Braxton, daughter of
              John Braxton and Sarah--my great, great, great,
              grandfather. I am figuring that John Braxton and Sarah
              were the parents of my great, great grandfather, James
              Braxton who married Martha Crawford. Their households
              are next to each other in every census since James
              married Martha.
              I have my Braxton line supported by evidence from
              James Braxton and Martha Crawford to the present.
              I do not have documentation besides the censuses
              showing proximity of the households to prove that John
              Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James Braxton
              who married Martha Crawford.
              Because of the passing down of names in the
              family, I feel that John Braxton who married Sarah was
              the son of John Braxton and Hannah. Additionally, the
              1915 letter to the Daily Reflector of one Elias
              Braxton from Texas son of Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth
              Parker of Pitt County names one of his uncles as John
              Braxton, his grandparents as John Braxton and Hannah
              lead to believe that John Braxton who married Sarah
              was also the son of John Braxton and Hannah.
              Back to your e-mail, James Harrington and Penelope
              Braxton married in 1859 or 1860, I believe. Their
              first child was a son named Curtis. They were living
              in 1860 with Penelope's parents.
              Back to you later today, Carol

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                Dear Group Member,
                Thanks so much for sharing the information about
                these family members. Polly would have been my great
                aunt. Even though I never met her, your information
                fills in additional gaps in my research and makes me
                feel even closer to this family. Not having known
                them, I treasure them more rather than less. Through
                sharing our information, perhaps we can restore them
                to our families.
                Later, Carol