Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Julia Braxton Death Certificate - Correction

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
      Dear Kare,
      Don't let it trouble you. If I could keep up with
      all my mis-speakings, I could publish a book
      containing nothing but these.
      Julia Braxton Forbes, as you noted, was my great
      aunt because she was the sistr of my grandfather,
      Elijah Braxton. However, both of her brothers were
      married to my grandmother. Elias "Goude" Braxton
      married my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton after both
      had been widowed.
      So, Aunt Julia was my double great aunt--or my
      great aunt and my step-great aunt.
      Uncle Goude, as he was known to all of us, was the
      father of my Cousin Lester. When his dad married my
      grandmother, that made him my step-uncle as well as my
      birth cousin.
      I am still searching backwards in our Braxton line.
      To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
      married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton and
      Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
      record from the courthouse in Greenville.
      On every census record, James Braxton and Martha
      Crawford were next to John Braxton and Sarah, which
      leads me to believe that these were the parents of
      James Braxton. Martha's parents, Allen and Siddie
      Crawford, lived only a couple of households distant.
      I am thinking that John Braxton and Sarah were the
      parents of James Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
      Do you know about our line this far back from
      anything that might have come down to you or that you
      have found out?
      Thanks, Carol

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
        Dear Karen,
        Thanks so very much. That will be wonderful!
        Later, Carol

      • Karen
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
          Carol,
          I don't have anything that was passed down to me on the
          Braxtons/Crawfords. My grandmother Lizzie passed away before I
          became interested in genealogy, so all that she knew is lost to me.
          The little that I know about them sounds a lot like what you know, so
          we are plowing the same ground more than likely.

          Karen

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
            Dear Karen,
            My sister and I are planning a trip to Greenville
            in December to spend the day. While there, I hope to
            get back to the Courthouse and review some of the old
            land records.
            The most recent discovery I've made was the running
            across Hannah Braxton's marriage to Noah Harris around
            1810. He had fought in the War of 1812, and she was
            filing for his pension from that war. Shortly after
            their marriage at the home of her father, James
            Braxton said the document, the couple had moved to
            Wayne County, N.C.
            Following his death, she had moved back to Pitt to
            be near her family. Possibly we could recover
            additional information on her from the Wayne County
            Censuses as well as from later Pitt County records.
            I would really like to know who her brothers and
            sisters were and who her mother was.
            Later, Carol

          • yakd49
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
              To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
              married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton
              and Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
              theparents of James Braxton who married Martha
              Crawford.Do you know about our line this far back from
              anything that might have come down to you or that

              I have been trying to follow along on this Braxton line to see if
              there may be a link to my Harrington Line.

              I have a Paul Harrington b:23 Apr 1868 d:27 Jul 1932 burried
              Winterville Cemetery. Married to Mary White b:8 May 1870 d:18 Mar 1958
              also burried at Winterville Cemetery.

              Pauls parents were James Harrington b: 1833 d:1912 and Penelope Braxton
              b:4 Dec 1885 d:30 Dec 1910.

              I have Penelope fahter listed as John Braxton and her mother Sarah
              and have them listed on the 1850 Census Griffins District Pitt Coounty
              NC. Penolope has a sister named Hannah age 20 on this 1850 census.

              Paul Harrington married Penolope and Pauls brother Allen married a
              Polly Braxton b:1879 d:1970 My notes indicate that she was born & died
              in Craven county , burried in Vanceboro, dau of John Braxton, son of
              James Braxton and Martha _____

              Polly Braxton was survived by 5 daughters
              Mary Jane McDade, Raleigh NC
              B.U. Gonick, Los Angles Ca
              Emma Lee Sutton , Vanceboro, NC
              Mrs Thad S. Toler, Askin NC
              Mrs Auther L. Foy, Norfolk Va

              My only sources are the notes I got from Greenville during the Family
              reunion and the 1850 Census. Just trying to tie in another frayed
              thread in the family tree.
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                Dear Group Member,
                Here's the scoop! James Harrington married my
                great, great, great aunt Penelope Braxton, daughter of
                John Braxton and Sarah--my great, great, great,
                grandfather. I am figuring that John Braxton and Sarah
                were the parents of my great, great grandfather, James
                Braxton who married Martha Crawford. Their households
                are next to each other in every census since James
                married Martha.
                I have my Braxton line supported by evidence from
                James Braxton and Martha Crawford to the present.
                I do not have documentation besides the censuses
                showing proximity of the households to prove that John
                Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James Braxton
                who married Martha Crawford.
                Because of the passing down of names in the
                family, I feel that John Braxton who married Sarah was
                the son of John Braxton and Hannah. Additionally, the
                1915 letter to the Daily Reflector of one Elias
                Braxton from Texas son of Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth
                Parker of Pitt County names one of his uncles as John
                Braxton, his grandparents as John Braxton and Hannah
                lead to believe that John Braxton who married Sarah
                was also the son of John Braxton and Hannah.
                Back to your e-mail, James Harrington and Penelope
                Braxton married in 1859 or 1860, I believe. Their
                first child was a son named Curtis. They were living
                in 1860 with Penelope's parents.
                Back to you later today, Carol

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                  Dear Group Member,
                  Thanks so much for sharing the information about
                  these family members. Polly would have been my great
                  aunt. Even though I never met her, your information
                  fills in additional gaps in my research and makes me
                  feel even closer to this family. Not having known
                  them, I treasure them more rather than less. Through
                  sharing our information, perhaps we can restore them
                  to our families.
                  Later, Carol