KNOX - George Evans Knox

  • simel14long
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2006
      Hello. I am a new member and hope someone out there can help me. I
      am looking information on George Evans Knox. He was my
      grandfather's grandfather, and was born in Greenville on 9/30/1822
      and died 1/31/1900. He is buried in the Parker Cemetery on the
      Ocean Isle Beach Road next to his wife, Sarah Ann Brooks (also born
      in Greenville). Two of their children are also buried there. Most
      of the rest of the large family was/is located in Brunswick County
      (Southport, Shallotte, Town Creek) or in Wilmington. I have copies
      of land grants in Brunswick County, CSA pay records, family photos,
      letters, and info indicating that in 1849 a George E. Knox and
      Churchill A. Knox operated a coach-making business in Greenville -
      but no information on parents or siblings. I know the Pitt County
      courthouse burned down, which may account for it. I've checked
      records and web sites in surrounding counties and South Carolina and
      online records in the NC Archives. I'm stumped. Anybody have any
      suggestions?

      Carol Longley
      Main Surname: KNOX (George E.)
    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
        Have you seen the Knox Newsletter. I have a couple of pages from a 1992
        copy. It stated that if you were interested in receiving this letter
        contact: Constance Knox 4750 Topeka Drive Tarana, CA 91356. I do not
        know if this is still published.

        On of the pages I have lists a George Knox who m. July 23, 1875 Lucy Ward of
        Martin County, NC.
        Also noted in the copy is a note that G. Knox and Redden Knox are buried in
        Spring Green Church Cemetery in Hamilton, NC.

        There is numerous notes on this page. I might could scan and send to you if
        you like.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
          Name: George E Knox ,
          Residence: Brunswick County, North Carolina
          Enlistment Date: 19 February 1862
          Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE
          Side Served: Confederacy
          State Served: North Carolina
          Unit Numbers: 33 33
          Service Record: Promoted to Full Captain (As of NC 56th Militia)
          Promoted to Full
          Enlisted as a Lieutenant 1st Class on 19 February 1862 at the age of 35
          Commission in Company Batty K, 2nd Light Artillery Regiment North Carolina
          on 19 February 1862.
          Resigned disability Company Batty K, 2nd Light Artillery Regiment North
          Carolina on 12 July 1862

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
          chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
          before us and showed us the way."

          Thomas Mann

          Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more�then map the best
          route! http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2006
              Name of Slave Owner Home in 1850
              (City,County,State) View Image

              Redding Knox Falkland, Pitt, North Carolina
              Bryant Knox Greenville, Pitt, North Carolina
              Churchill Knox Greenville, Pitt, North Carolina

              Paula Anne Baker
              paulabaker69@...
              Greene County NC

              "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
              chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
              before us and showed us the way."

              Thomas Mann

              Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
              Live Search!
              http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline