Re: Julia Braxton Death Certificate - Correction

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 21, 2006
      Carol,
      I mis-spoke in the last paragraph below: Julia Braxton Forbes
      Moseley was both my great grandmother and your great aunt. Her
      daughter, Julia Moseley Gladson was my great aunt (half sister to my
      grandmother Lizzie).

      Karen

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <karen@...> wrote:

      > Carol,
      > I am out of town right now, but I will email you PRIVATELY and let
      > you know what the house number is. I'll have to ride by the house
      > and write down what the actual house number is. I don't want to
      post
      > the actual address out here on the internet because I don't know
      how
      > the current owners may feel about that. Look for that email later
      > this weekend or first of next week. I should also have some
      pictures
      > of the exterior that Betty Wall, Ann Vernelson and I took earlier
      > this year when we visited the house.
      >
      > And I have one small correction to your post. Julia was not born
      in
      > that house (that I know of). She lived there. She lived there
      when
      > she was married to my great grandfather Joe Forbes. Lizzie was
      > his/her daughter.
      >
      > As I stated below that was where my grandmother Lizzie Forbes
      Hudson

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
        Dear Kare,
        Don't let it trouble you. If I could keep up with
        all my mis-speakings, I could publish a book
        containing nothing but these.
        Julia Braxton Forbes, as you noted, was my great
        aunt because she was the sistr of my grandfather,
        Elijah Braxton. However, both of her brothers were
        married to my grandmother. Elias "Goude" Braxton
        married my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton after both
        had been widowed.
        So, Aunt Julia was my double great aunt--or my
        great aunt and my step-great aunt.
        Uncle Goude, as he was known to all of us, was the
        father of my Cousin Lester. When his dad married my
        grandmother, that made him my step-uncle as well as my
        birth cousin.
        I am still searching backwards in our Braxton line.
        To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
        married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton and
        Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
        record from the courthouse in Greenville.
        On every census record, James Braxton and Martha
        Crawford were next to John Braxton and Sarah, which
        leads me to believe that these were the parents of
        James Braxton. Martha's parents, Allen and Siddie
        Crawford, lived only a couple of households distant.
        I am thinking that John Braxton and Sarah were the
        parents of James Braxton who married Martha Crawford.
        Do you know about our line this far back from
        anything that might have come down to you or that you
        have found out?
        Thanks, Carol

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
          Dear Karen,
          Thanks so very much. That will be wonderful!
          Later, Carol

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 23, 2006
            Carol,
            I don't have anything that was passed down to me on the
            Braxtons/Crawfords. My grandmother Lizzie passed away before I
            became interested in genealogy, so all that she knew is lost to me.
            The little that I know about them sounds a lot like what you know, so
            we are plowing the same ground more than likely.

            Karen

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
              Dear Karen,
              My sister and I are planning a trip to Greenville
              in December to spend the day. While there, I hope to
              get back to the Courthouse and review some of the old
              land records.
              The most recent discovery I've made was the running
              across Hannah Braxton's marriage to Noah Harris around
              1810. He had fought in the War of 1812, and she was
              filing for his pension from that war. Shortly after
              their marriage at the home of her father, James
              Braxton said the document, the couple had moved to
              Wayne County, N.C.
              Following his death, she had moved back to Pitt to
              be near her family. Possibly we could recover
              additional information on her from the Wayne County
              Censuses as well as from later Pitt County records.
              I would really like to know who her brothers and
              sisters were and who her mother was.
              Later, Carol

            • yakd49
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                To date, I have proof that James Elias Braxton who
                married Sarah Sutton was the son of James Braxton
                and Martha Crawford. I have a copy of their marriage
                theparents of James Braxton who married Martha
                Crawford.Do you know about our line this far back from
                anything that might have come down to you or that

                I have been trying to follow along on this Braxton line to see if
                there may be a link to my Harrington Line.

                I have a Paul Harrington b:23 Apr 1868 d:27 Jul 1932 burried
                Winterville Cemetery. Married to Mary White b:8 May 1870 d:18 Mar 1958
                also burried at Winterville Cemetery.

                Pauls parents were James Harrington b: 1833 d:1912 and Penelope Braxton
                b:4 Dec 1885 d:30 Dec 1910.

                I have Penelope fahter listed as John Braxton and her mother Sarah
                and have them listed on the 1850 Census Griffins District Pitt Coounty
                NC. Penolope has a sister named Hannah age 20 on this 1850 census.

                Paul Harrington married Penolope and Pauls brother Allen married a
                Polly Braxton b:1879 d:1970 My notes indicate that she was born & died
                in Craven county , burried in Vanceboro, dau of John Braxton, son of
                James Braxton and Martha _____

                Polly Braxton was survived by 5 daughters
                Mary Jane McDade, Raleigh NC
                B.U. Gonick, Los Angles Ca
                Emma Lee Sutton , Vanceboro, NC
                Mrs Thad S. Toler, Askin NC
                Mrs Auther L. Foy, Norfolk Va

                My only sources are the notes I got from Greenville during the Family
                reunion and the 1850 Census. Just trying to tie in another frayed
                thread in the family tree.
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                  Dear Group Member,
                  Here's the scoop! James Harrington married my
                  great, great, great aunt Penelope Braxton, daughter of
                  John Braxton and Sarah--my great, great, great,
                  grandfather. I am figuring that John Braxton and Sarah
                  were the parents of my great, great grandfather, James
                  Braxton who married Martha Crawford. Their households
                  are next to each other in every census since James
                  married Martha.
                  I have my Braxton line supported by evidence from
                  James Braxton and Martha Crawford to the present.
                  I do not have documentation besides the censuses
                  showing proximity of the households to prove that John
                  Braxton and Sarah were the parents of James Braxton
                  who married Martha Crawford.
                  Because of the passing down of names in the
                  family, I feel that John Braxton who married Sarah was
                  the son of John Braxton and Hannah. Additionally, the
                  1915 letter to the Daily Reflector of one Elias
                  Braxton from Texas son of Lacy Braxton and Elizabeth
                  Parker of Pitt County names one of his uncles as John
                  Braxton, his grandparents as John Braxton and Hannah
                  lead to believe that John Braxton who married Sarah
                  was also the son of John Braxton and Hannah.
                  Back to your e-mail, James Harrington and Penelope
                  Braxton married in 1859 or 1860, I believe. Their
                  first child was a son named Curtis. They were living
                  in 1860 with Penelope's parents.
                  Back to you later today, Carol

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 24, 2006
                    Dear Group Member,
                    Thanks so much for sharing the information about
                    these family members. Polly would have been my great
                    aunt. Even though I never met her, your information
                    fills in additional gaps in my research and makes me
                    feel even closer to this family. Not having known
                    them, I treasure them more rather than less. Through
                    sharing our information, perhaps we can restore them
                    to our families.
                    Later, Carol