Re: [genpcncfir] Grimesland area

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
      Dear Catherine,
      A similar marital situation occurred with my
      grandmother. She was widowed within a year or two of
      her first marriage, widowed before the age of 21. A
      few years later, she married a Baker.
      In trying to track her marriage to my grandfather,
      I could find no records at the courthouse of it. Come
      to find, she had married him as Jenny Baker, not as
      Jenny McGowan.
      Later, Carol

    • Catherine
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
        Carol,

        Do you know what records exist at the courthouse and what records have been sent to the state archives?

        My grandmother told me the courthouse had burned down and it would be impossible to get records, including her marriage certificate. She was married about 1934. Would I go to the courthouse in Greenville for a copy of that or would I go elsewhere. I think it might still exist.

        I really, really, really wish I could be there this weekend. We just passed through Pitt county (genealogically speaking) but I have really enjoyed this group and wish I could meet everyone!

      • DAVID SMITH
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
          the courthouse certainly hasnt burned since it was
          built in 1911. i have had no problem getting records
          from the 20th century there.