Grimesland area

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
      Hi all,

      If anyone going this weekend to the PCFR reunion gets any information about the Grimesland area, please post it here. Also, will anyone be making a trip to little Washington? Oakdale cemetary there?

      Wish I could go but it's too far away. I'm a tarheel by birth and by heart but not by location.

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
        Dear Catherine,
        If I run into my cousins, they may take me to
        little Washington. Let me know what you need. Later,
        Carol

        --- Catherine <seadreamen@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > If anyone going this weekend to the PCFR reunion
        > gets any information about the Grimesland area,
        > please post it here. Also, will anyone be making a
        > trip to little Washington? Oakdale cemetary there?
        >
        > Wish I could go but it's too far away. I'm a
        > tarheel by birth and by heart but not by location.
        >
        > Catherine

      • Catherine
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2006
          Thanks Carol. If possible, I would like to know if there is still a Grimesland Methodist Church and if any records might be available. I would like to know which (if any) newspapers carried news from the chicod district and the Grimesland area. Someday I will get there to do research.

          John A. Stanley was a member of the above mentioned church. He is buried in Oakdale. He died in 1949. I would like to know who he is buried with and what the dates are for Annie if she is with him. I don't want anyone going out of their way but should someone be planning a trip there anyway....

          Also looking for info about Henry Jackson and Eliza Waters Jackson. Henry might be the son of Jesse Jackson. Eliza married a Dudley before Henry. The Jackson's may also be buried at Oakdale.

          I'm also curious about divorces and annullments. I was recently given a copy of a marriage certificate for John A. Stanley and Pennie Paramore (from a newfound distant cousin). Pennie is unknown to us. We know John married Lula (or Laura) Dunn 1st and when she died (from blood poisening from a knitting needle) we knew that he married Annie Jackson. My grandmother is the daughter of that union. This marriage to Penny happened between those two marriages and we have never heard about this. I found Penny Paramore later in census records and I am thinking the marriage ended somehow. Just curious.

          Please tell us all about the weekend. Your stories are wonderful and you will make us feel like we were there. :)

          Enjoy yourself!

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
            Dear Catherine,
            A similar marital situation occurred with my
            grandmother. She was widowed within a year or two of
            her first marriage, widowed before the age of 21. A
            few years later, she married a Baker.
            In trying to track her marriage to my grandfather,
            I could find no records at the courthouse of it. Come
            to find, she had married him as Jenny Baker, not as
            Jenny McGowan.

          • Catherine
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
              Carol,

              Do you know what records exist at the courthouse and what records have been sent to the state archives?

              My grandmother told me the courthouse had burned down and it would be impossible to get records, including her marriage certificate. She was married about 1934. Would I go to the courthouse in Greenville for a copy of that or would I go elsewhere. I think it might still exist.

              I really, really, really wish I could be there this weekend. We just passed through Pitt county (genealogically speaking) but I have really enjoyed this group and wish I could meet everyone!

            • DAVID SMITH
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2006
                the courthouse certainly hasnt burned since it was
                built in 1911. i have had no problem getting records
                from the 20th century there.