Re: [genpcncfir] My point of view

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
      Dear Bob,
      I know about the decomposition from organic
      material from my study of literature--like, for
      example, Edith Wharton's "Roman Fever," a good read if
      ever there were one.
      The newspaper articles on the landfill did
      acknowledge the leakage of the methane gas as well as
      the decomposition and the instability of the land
      itself.
      Yes, I know about caveat emptor. My first
      acquaintance with it came from an Uncle Mark lecture
      to me on the subject of liability on defective
      merchandise. My high school Latin teacher, Mrs.
      Martin, also listed it among useful terms one could
      learn from the study of Latin. Then, of course, it
      appeared in my real estate class and later in my
      paralegal and administration of justice classes.
      The City of Richmond has accepted responsibility
      for the fiasco as far as trying to address immediate
      needs like evacuation to a shelter it opened
      specifically for the purpose of temporarily housing
      these people while it pumped raw sewage from their
      basements and yards and streets. Then, it issued
      vouchers for hotel accommodations for these people
      after closing the shelter.
      Just this morning FEMA, according to the
      Times-Dispatch article, has kicked in after deciding
      to help these people with more permanent housing.
      I have twice as a City of Richmond resident had
      the same experience as these residents. The City
      intervened promptly. It sent employees to supervise
      operations; it sent the equipment to do the job; and
      it sent inspectors when the job was completed to be
      sure their were no code violations.
      With the Battery Park residents, the time lapse
      between the flooding and the response and then the
      history of the land use prior to the building of the
      homes really aroused the ire of the readership of the
      Times-Dispatch and of residents and non-residents
      alike. The local radio and t.v. stations joined in the
      hue and cry. Now, as Shakespeare would have put it,
      "All's Well that Ends Well," or so we hope.
      Will you be ale to attend the PCR Reunion? Fifth
      cousin or first uncle, I would like to meet you.
      In the meantime, I will continue my Forbes research
      and see what I can learn.
      Thanks so much for sharing your first-hand
      experience on these landfills. Information like yours
      in addition to its interest can also prove very
      valuable to prospective home buyers.
      Later, Carol

      === message truncated ===