Re: [genpcncfir] My point of view

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
      Dear Bob,
      In reviewing my e-mails prior to heading out on
      Thursday for Greenville for the Pitt County Family
      Researcher's Reunion, I came across our discussions of
      "exclusive" and other trendy terms that mean whatever
      the writer intended them to mean. Therefore, the
      meaning may depend upon the reader being "in-the-know"
      when it comes to any given writer.
      "Exclusive" is alive and well in Richmond,
      Virginia. Every time I see the commercial about Digga
      the Dematophite or the Shreck-like, mucousy green
      creature in the ad plugging an over-the-counter
      allergy medication, I am thinking, "There goes the
      neighborhood!"
      The latest "there goes" here has come about because
      of the drenching we received here last week.
      It caused the third flooding of a neighborhood near
      mine on the Northside, Battery Park. The area has
      quite literally lived up to its name, having been
      battered from three consecutive soakings in less than
      two months.
      The Times-Dispatch over the weekend had an article
      giving the background of the area and the reason for
      the flooding. The neighborhood began as a landfill in
      1940 and was abandoned around 1980. Subsequently, a
      subdivision was built over the landfill, which is some
      90 feet deep. At the bottom of this pit are the sewage
      pipes which need replacing.
      Initially, the discussion centered upon replacing
      these pipes. Then someone pointed out that digging
      them up was likely to result in a sink hole the likes
      of which nobody wants to see.
      In the meanwhile, 174 homes have been evacuated
      because of sewage filling the yards and basements.
      Additionally, the City condemned 74 of these homes
      following the first flooding a couple of months ago.
      Guess what? The federal government has refused to
      help these people. The governor has appealed the
      decision, only to be turned down again.
      Some readers writing in to the Times-Dispatch do
      not think that the federal government ought to pay.
      Some think the State should pay. Some think the City
      should pay.
      The State does not think it should pay. The City
      does not think it should pay.
      Everybody appears to be hoping that the problem
      will simply disappear. That builds a case for digging
      up the pipes and letting the sink hole swallow up the
      mess.
      The neighborhood in question is predominantly black
      as in New Orleans. Some people are calling it
      Richmond's Katrina.
      Richmond rallied around Katrina with citizens from
      all walks of life busing themselves to New Orleans to
      give hands-on assistance to individual homeowners.
      Strange, isn't it, that nobody in Richmond has rallied
      around Battery Park.
      In the meantime, the City is openly discussing how
      to use $63,000,000 it set aside for a Performing Arts
      Center that never materialized. Need anyone ask what
      Richmond should do with that money when we have
      law-abiding, tax-paying citizens homeless through no
      fault of their own. The City, by the way, has
      acknowledged responsibility for having allowed houses
      to be built over that landfill, but it denies having
      funds to compensate the homeowners.
      To paraphrase the song, it's a strange world after
      all.
      Later, Carol

    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
        Dear Carol - I'm obligated to respond on this one because it's in my line of work as an environmental engineer, even though off the topic of Pitt County gen. research. If it was a City landfill that closed in 1980, the City is clearly responsible for damage to homes that were built there later. The land on top of most closed landfills is converted to parks or public golf courses, largely because of the risk of building structures there. Material in the landfill continues to degrade, so of course the land continues to subside until it's stable, which will take several decades (not unlike old, unmarked gravesites that can be spotted a century later due to the sunken earth). The pipes you are speaking of underneath the landfill are for draining the leachate, for one of the natural byproducts of anaerobic decomposition is water (although not anything you'd want to drink!). The other primary byproduct is methane, also known as "natural gas." Many closed landfills (if they were built correctly) can be mined for several decades after closure for the natural gas they produce --- a closed municipal landfill can be good for several mW of power if "tapped" correctly.

        It was clearly wrong of the City of Richmond (or perhaps the gov't of Henrico County -- whoever owned and operated the landfill) to sell it for private real estate after closure -- UNLESS they fully disclosed the hazards and risks of building there in the real-estate closing statements, in which case "caveat emptor" would have to apply. And since you've sold real estate before, I'm sure you're familiar w/ that lil' Latin phrase!

        Know you and all others attending the PCFR reunion will have a good time and perhaps learn a new thing or two about our ancestors. See if you can come upon any more clues about the father of Robert Forbes (1789-1845) who married Gracey Tyson, from which your line springs. I believe his father was Charles Forbes and his grandfather was John Forbes, the Deputy Surveyor-General d.~1750, who was also my 4-gr-grfather and would make us something like 5th cousins - just looking for a few more pieces of solid evidence to tie those lines together...

        Bob Forbes
        bforbes@...

        --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:

        > Trish & all PC friends & relatives - Really
        > 'preciate the kind, personal
        > thoughts. As to some of my own posts, I humbly
        > accept the "ridiculous"
        > characterization, but certainly mean no disrespect
        > to no one! Will endeavor
        > to put a lid on it ... mostly... as much as I can.
        > Just don't let Carol get
        > me started again... she's the real troublemaker:)
        > Y'all have a nice day!

      • Dani
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
          Hi, I really enjoy Bob and Carol's stories, and look forward to them. So, that is my view. I am flying from Houston to Raleigh, and from there go to Greenville. Debbie Kittrell Davis and I will be at the Days Inn in Greenville. I will meet all of you Friday. I am so excited! Debbie and I will spend a week in Greenville and from there go to VA and see a cousin; and my brother lives in Va Beach. At any rate I will be off my computer from Oct 11 through Oct 25. See ya'all Friday! Dani

          Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
          ~ Mark Twain

        • Trish Worthington Cobb
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
            Bob,

            An interesting belief...

            Will certainly look for any evidence.

            Trish

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2006
              Dear Bob,
              I know about the decomposition from organic
              material from my study of literature--like, for
              example, Edith Wharton's "Roman Fever," a good read if
              ever there were one.
              The newspaper articles on the landfill did
              acknowledge the leakage of the methane gas as well as
              the decomposition and the instability of the land
              itself.
              Yes, I know about caveat emptor. My first
              acquaintance with it came from an Uncle Mark lecture
              to me on the subject of liability on defective
              merchandise. My high school Latin teacher, Mrs.
              Martin, also listed it among useful terms one could
              learn from the study of Latin. Then, of course, it
              appeared in my real estate class and later in my
              paralegal and administration of justice classes.
              The City of Richmond has accepted responsibility
              for the fiasco as far as trying to address immediate
              needs like evacuation to a shelter it opened
              specifically for the purpose of temporarily housing
              these people while it pumped raw sewage from their
              basements and yards and streets. Then, it issued
              vouchers for hotel accommodations for these people
              after closing the shelter.
              Just this morning FEMA, according to the
              Times-Dispatch article, has kicked in after deciding
              to help these people with more permanent housing.
              I have twice as a City of Richmond resident had
              the same experience as these residents. The City
              intervened promptly. It sent employees to supervise
              operations; it sent the equipment to do the job; and
              it sent inspectors when the job was completed to be
              sure their were no code violations.
              With the Battery Park residents, the time lapse
              between the flooding and the response and then the
              history of the land use prior to the building of the
              homes really aroused the ire of the readership of the
              Times-Dispatch and of residents and non-residents
              alike. The local radio and t.v. stations joined in the
              hue and cry. Now, as Shakespeare would have put it,
              "All's Well that Ends Well," or so we hope.
              Will you be ale to attend the PCR Reunion? Fifth
              cousin or first uncle, I would like to meet you.
              In the meantime, I will continue my Forbes research
              and see what I can learn.
              Thanks so much for sharing your first-hand
              experience on these landfills. Information like yours
              in addition to its interest can also prove very
              valuable to prospective home buyers.
              Later, Carol

              === message truncated ===