open house - Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
      Historic Red Banks church to hold an open house Oct. 7

      The Pitt County Historical Society will hold an open house at
      Historic Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 7.

      The historic church, at the corner of 14th Street and Fire Tower
      Road, is owned and maintained by the society for use by the community
      and civic groups.

      Tours of the church and grounds will be held free. Refreshments will
      be served.

      The schedule will include:

      10:30 a.m. � The History of Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church,
      1758-2006
      11 a.m. � Recollections of Pitt County History: Tall Tales and True
      Stories
      Tour of Cherry Family Cemetery, Hardee Family Cemetery and church
      grounds
      12:30 p.m. � Publications on Pitt County history.
      Mickey Harris, dressed in a reproduction Civil War uniform, will talk
      with families about Pitt County and the Civil War and share events
      associated with local Civil War history. He also will have a display
      on the Civil War Trails project and the markers which will be placed
      throughout Pitt County.

      Mary and Bill Kittrell will share information on their survey of Pitt
      County cemeteries and grave sites and a registry of more than 40,000
      names they have compiled.

      Local author and historian Roger Kammerer will sell autographed
      copies of his books "Recollections of Pitt County" and "Forgotten
      Tales of North Carolina."

      The society's publications � "Chronicles of Pitt County, Vol. I,"
      "Chronicles of Pitt County, Vol. II" and "The Historic Architecture
      of Pitt County" � will be available for purchase.

      During the open house, rental information for Red Banks Primitive
      Baptist Church will be distributed. For more information, call 756-5771.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
        Dear Trish,
        Thanks for this information. With all my heart I
        wish that I could attend this open house. However, I
        am working the next 5 days because of trading with
        another nurse so that I can be off to attend the PCFR
        Reunion next weekend.
        I will get in touch with Roger, though, and see if
        he is willing to bring his books to the PCFR Reunion
        and to find out if for love or money I can get his
        autograph.
        This reminds me that this morning in the
        Times-Dispatch was an article on a young lady from
        West Virginia who has just published her cookbook of
        recipes from her family. The cookbook, according to
        the article, is generously sprinkled with family lore.
        For under $20.00, I think it would be a marvellous
        read in addition to an inspiration in writing about
        our own families, so I simply have to get my hands on
        that book. By the way, it's called White Trash
        Gatherings by Kendra Bailey Morris.
        Back in the day when college English departments
        across the country were breaking their necks
        introducing Women's Studies programs and before
        Spanish became the most popular second language, I
        proposed taking a different direction. This cookbook
        fits in perfectly with what I had in mind.
        Originally, though, I was thinking more along the
        lines of literary and musical traditions because of
        some classes I had wanted to teach and that I did
        eventually have the opportunity to teach. Among these
        were a course in the Supernatural focusing on
        literature and film and a History of Music based upon
        the albums of representative artists. As we say, "A
        good time was had by all!"
        Back to the cookbook, though, the recipes are "made
        from scratch," and I am sure that many of us can
        relate to that. However, the cookbook, as described in
        the article, is both cookbook and chronicles. Now, who
        could ask for a better combination than that? How many
        people today have even an inkling of the history of a
        dish they are eating at a local restaurant or buying
        ready-to-eat from a supermarket like Ukrop's?
        One restaurant here, "The Olive Garden," is an
        Italian restaurant where the slogan is "Where we treat
        you like family." That is the flavor I get from the
        article on this "White Trash" cookbook.
        If I can lay hands on the book before the Reunion,
        I will bring it along.
        Later, Carol

        --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

      • Evelyn Hendricks
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
          Your idea of combining a cook book with family history is a good one. I am
          in the process of doing something similar to that. It looks like it will be
          a long process since I started it about seven or eight years ago. It started
          out as a simple recipe book of my children’s favorite foods when they were
          children. It was supposed to be for their Christmas present that year. So
          far they have not even seen it. I was going to include pictures, etc. I have
          included how my grandmother, born during the Civil War, had to cook in the
          fireplace when she was first married. Also, I mentioned having to grow her
          vegetables and gather them. Maybe it would be good to include what was
          involved in growing them. I also am including a section on how to butcher
          the hogs, cure the meat, etc. I am having a hard time finding just how the
          meat was cured. I know how the smoke houses looked, but I am not sure what
          was involved in the smoking process. I very well remember that indescribable
          smell of those hams and sausages hanging from the ceiling and the side meat
          on the shelves. It made you hungry just to smell it. Included are little
          anecdotes like the one about my uncle Charlie when he was about three years
          old. It seems that my grandmother would not tolerate profanity of any kind
          in her presence. She was in the garden and a lizard ran out from under the
          leaves. Uncle Charlie blurted “God Almighty. Look at that thing run.” My
          mother said her mother thought it was funny and could hardly keep from
          laughing, but she could not let Uncle Charlie see her laughing. Instead she
          reprimanded him properly.

          I hope everyone enjoys the reunion.

          Evelyn

          So far my book has about three hundred pages. Its title will be “Cooking,
          Then and Now.”

          _____

[...]

          --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@ <mailto:turniproots%40mac.com>
          mac.com>
          wrote:

          > Historic Red Banks church to hold an open house Oct.
          > 7
          >

          > The Pitt County Historical Society will hold an open
          > house at
          > Historic Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church from 10
          > a.m.-2 p.m. Oct. 7.
          >
          > The historic church, at the corner of 14th Street
          > and Fire Tower
          > Road, is owned and maintained by the society for use
          > by the community
          > and civic groups.
          >
          > Tours of the church and grounds will be held free.
          > Refreshments will
          > be served.
          >
          > The schedule will include:
          >
          > 10:30 a.m. — The History of Red Banks Primitive
          > Baptist Church,
          > 1758-2006
          > 11 a.m. — Recollections of Pitt County History: Tall
          > Tales and True
          > Stories
          > Tour of Cherry Family Cemetery, Hardee Family
          > Cemetery and church
          > grounds
          > 12:30 p.m. — Publications on Pitt County history.
          > Mickey Harris, dressed in a reproduction Civil War
          > uniform, will talk
          > with families about Pitt County and the Civil War
          > and share events
          > associated with local Civil War history. He also
          > will have a display
          > on the Civil War Trails project and the markers
          > which will be placed
          > throughout Pitt County.
          >
          > Mary and Bill Kittrell will share information on
          > their survey of Pitt
          > County cemeteries and grave sites and a registry of
          > more than 40,000
          > names they have compiled.
          >
          > Local author and historian Roger Kammerer will sell
          > autographed
          > copies of his books "Recollections of Pitt County"
          > and "Forgotten
          > Tales of North Carolina."
          >
          > The society's publications — "Chronicles of Pitt
          > County, Vol. I,"
          > "Chronicles of Pitt County, Vol. II" and "The
          > Historic Architecture
          > of Pitt County" — will be available for purchase.
          >
          > During the open house, rental information for Red
          > Banks Primitive
          > Baptist Church will be distributed. For more
          > information, call 756-5771.

          > http://www.pittcoun <http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/>
          tyhistoricalsociety.com/

          > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for
          > description and ordering information:
          yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/files/

          groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/lst

          http://www.usgennet
          <http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm>
          .org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          > http://www.usgennet <http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/>
          .org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          > http://www.rootsweb <http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/> .com/~ncpcfr/

          > http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir>
          yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir

        • Trish Worthington Cobb
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
            Evelyn,

            Your book sounds like a real treasure.

            Little three-year-old Charlie must have learned that phrase from
            somebody in your grandmother's family.

            Trish

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
              He could have heard t from one of his uncles, or perhaps a neighbor, but not
              from either of his parents. Everyone, not just my mother, verifies that. It
              seems that everybody in that little town knew everybody else for generations
              back and could tell you all about what they were like.
              Evelyn