Re: [genpcncfir] Jonathan McGLAWHORN DOD

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 1, 2006
      Marcia,

      There must be an estate file, or maybe not. Does "Exr.-1, p. 280"
      refer to an executor's book? I am not familiar with the notation.

      There were several Jonathans, so I don't know for certain that Leah
      got them all straight.

      Bill Kittrell may have found him in his cemetery survey.

      This Jonathan had so many children. In 1880 he could have been in
      any one of their homes. There used to be a custom of passing the
      elderly around among family members for their care and feeding, in
      order that all the family members might contribute to it. Some of
      his children may have lived in Greene County. I really do not know.

      I remember as a little girl hearing my grandmother say with dread,
      "It's my turn to keep Aunt _____." I am not going to name this
      precious old soul, who was probably a lovely person in her younger
      days, but became a rather difficult person in her senior years.

      Trish

      On Oct 1, 2006, at 1:39 AM, Marcia McLawhorn wrote:

      > Thank you, Trish.
      > I went back to my copy of Leah's book and saw that I
      > did not finish adding that source to the data I used.
      >
      > However, I have been trying to ...verify data... that
      > I have by ...primary or secondary... sources. I was
      > hoping there was a known death certificate, tombstone,
      > newspaper report or will.
      >
      > Since Jonathan was living with his son on the 1870
      > census and didn't die until 1887, I wonder where he
      > was when the 1880 census taker came?
      >
      > Marcia
      >
      > --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Marcia,
      >> Leah McGlohon wrote, "In his late years Jonathan
      >> resided with his son Samuel. He died about 1887.
      >> Allen Warren was appointed administrator of the
      >> estate of a Jonathan McLawhorn on Sept. 24, 1887
      >> (Exr.-1, p. 280). Jonathan and Mary had six sons
      >> and seven daughters."
      >> Trish

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 2, 2006
        Thanks for sending this.

        This was a different Jeremiah McGlohon. There were several in the
        McGlohon/McLawhorn family. Jeremiah was a popular McGlohon/McLawhorn
        family name which was also passed down in the Worthington family,
        since the two families intermarried frequently.

        Trish