Old Sparta, NC

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2006
      This post responds to a couple of other posts from yesterday that were headed "Hagans" and asked about Sparta (aka Old Sparta), NC

      Sparta was one of the first landings on the Tar River from earliest colonial times, located about half-way between Tarboro and Falkland near what is now the intersection of NC Hwy 42 and Colonial Road, in Edgecombe County not far from the Pitt County line. I don't know how the name of the old Greek city-state "Sparta" was assigned to it, but suppose that can be found somewhere in Edgecombe County lore. The town and post office sprang up there at a crossroads next to the river in the late 1700's. Sometime in the 1800's, people started referring to the community as "Old Sparta" because some there was some confusion in mail deliveries with another NC town called Sparta up in the mountains. It is still known it as Old Sparta today; a sign marks the crossroads and its name appears on many maps. See following link:

      http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Old-Sparta-North-Carolina.cfm

      Old Sparta is also about where an old Tuscarora village was located, which I believe was referred to as "Blount (Blunt) Town" in the early 1700's due to the village chief at the time, Tom Blunt (Blount), who remained neutral during the Tuscarora War. The village was located at the confluence of Old Town Creek and the Tar River, very near the Old Sparta crossroads today.

      Old Sparta remains a small farming community, but it was virtually inundated by the Flood of '99 and has never been the same since. For several years after the flood, one or several of the local residents made and posted a large sign at the crossroads that said "Old Sparta - Neglected by FEMA and Forgotten by All" (or something to that effect). By sheer coincidence, I rode through Old Sparta yesterday (it's on a back-road route from Greenville to Tarboro). That sign was gone, but not much else had changed. The bitterness likely remains...

      People traveling from Greenville NW to Tarboro or Rocky Mount might consider taking the route that goes through Old Sparta. From Greenville you take NC Hwy 43 N through Falkland, then fork to the right on Colonial Road a couple miles after crossing Otter Creek. About a mile down that road on the left is the restored plantation home of Gov. Elias Carr. Then about another mile further you come to a stop sign at NC Hwy 42 which is the center of Old Sparta. If you take a right onto Hwy 42 there you'll cross the Tar River almost immediately, where a convenient turnaround spot is located at a NC Wildlife boat ramp access on the other side of the bridge. Continue on Colonial Road to Tarboro and you pass a couple of other restored old homes and farms on the right before the road joins Hwy 258, then pass the Sara Lee plant before crossing US Hwy 64 on the way into Tarboro.

      This alternative route is a fine drive between Greenville and Tarboro or other points west including Raleigh. Not many people realize it's likely the oldest road that transects Pitt and Edgecombe Counties -- the route of Potter's Raid in the War Between the States in 1863 and many argue was G. Washington's route from Tarboro to Greenville on his Tour of the South in 1791.

      Bob Forbes

      bforbes@...