Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Indian village on Forbes plantation

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
      Dear Faye & Bob,
      It's really amazing where our children's school
      assignments can lead, isn't it?
      My own daughter's seventh grade "Family Tree"
      assignment was what got me started. Of course, I was
      planning some day to "look into" my family since my
      own knowledge did not extend much beyond my
      grandparents on either side.
      We've kept that "Tree." I had helped Fern piece it
      together from what Mama had told me over the years
      since I had grown-up. Finally, I made my mind up that
      I was not going to drop the subject the next time I
      found her in the mood to discuss family until I
      learned what I wanted to know.
      Even then, I did not get the relationships of the
      McGowans, Moores, and Worthingtons within each family
      line. I never did know, for example, who were the
      parents of my great grandfather Lemuel McGowan nor the
      names of any of his brothers and sisters or even if he
      had had any. I since discovered that all of her life,
      I addressed one "aunt" as "cousin."
      At the very least, my doing so must have made her
      wonder though, bless her, she always treated me as if
      I were the most precious treasure on earth, inviting
      me to come sit by her chair next to the heater. We
      spent many an hour side by side talking away an
      afternoon.
      That "Family Tree," though changed my life.
      Without it, I never would have known any of you or the
      members of the Pitt County Family Researchers.
      When a teacher gives an assignment, she never
      knows where it will lead or the effect it would have
      on other lives.
      Later, Carol