Addie (Forbes) Webb

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
      FAye,
      What a wonderful idea - mini-histories.

      My son, who is also blond and blue eyed, has a
      great-great-grandmother, who was full-blooded Indian.
      She was from Greene County. I still do not know the
      tribe - possibly Tuscarora.

      Who is the father of Addie Forbes, the grandaughter of
      Arthur Forbes?
      Marcia

      --- jonefa <jonefa@...> wrote:

      > Thanks so very much for this information! I have
      > long suspected that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who
      > lived on Cole's Mill Road, in Township 10, near the
      > Pitt County line, tied into this family. His
      > daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His
      > granddaughter, Addie Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
      > My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having
      > Indians in his family tree. He is blonde, young, and
      > told his English class last year he was a Tuscarora
      > Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't believe
      > him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about
      > this connection! His booklets will be minis because
      > he wouldn't be interested in a long detailed family
      > line. I have already made one on the Ava Gardner
      > connection for him. I try to make his history
      > interesting for him.
      > I want to make a special booklet presentation on the
      > Indian connection for him that he can share with
      > his classes. All help will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      > Faye

    • jonefa
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
        To keep him interested, it has to be short and to the point....keep it focused.

        I am finding what I call the "secret" history of our ancestors. After the Indian war that began about 1711, life was not easy for them. History books and in fact, local historians, press the fact that "all" that were left went to New York to join with the main tribe there.

        But, that is not true, and a bit ridiculous in my humble opinion. Those who had not married into the local population, probably went, but there were as many, or more, that did not go. As late as 90 years later, even the legislature was dealing with the Indian population that was easily identified as Indian.

        A deliberate smallpox infestation took place about 1738 that drove the Indians from the reservations that were left in Northampton, Bertie and in that general area. If they could pass as a white settler, they did so because life was easier for them. And some did because white Indian traders married Indian women and had children.

        Indian and whites were not allowed to marry, according to the laws of that time, but of course, we know it happened all the time. And one early law that was never actually enforced said that an Indian family could not live within 50 miles of a white plantation. They were driven into the swamps to live, and the land they bought with their acquired English settler names was usually in a swamp.

        The migration route out of Northampton, Bertie, and Gates County was first into neighboring counties. This of course, meant Edgecombe, Nash, Halifax, Wilson/Wayne, and Johnston Counties received the first burst of settlers. And, a simple fact is that some of them can be identified simply by the fact that they moved place to place and settled in communities together. If you find one, you are more than likely to find several families who bought land next to their neighbors/families in a previous county.

        And, if someone wants to get rid of you bad enough to give you smallpox, it's time to move on.

        Many of these same families migrated into Bladen County, Robeson County, and on into SC. Some of the same families reunited on the PeeDee River in South Carolina.

        I have been talking with an Edgecombe County researcher who said that his family had always known they were Indians because they were dark complexioned. I found it especially interesting to note that he said that after he got interested in genealogy and started asking questions, that he found that after leaving South Carolina a pact had been made with all the families to never discuss their origins.. The past is the past, one grandfather said and would never speak of it.

        As for the name of the tribe, Tuscarora is the main Indian tribe for Edgecombe and surrounding counties. Some people insist they are Cherokee, but if they came from Edgecombe, Pitt County, that's not possible. There never was a Cherokee tribe here. Cherokees were enemies of the Tuscaroras.

        Faye Hays

        --- jonefa <jonefa@...> wrote:

        > Thanks so very much for this information! I have
        > long suspected that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who
        > lived on Cole's Mill Road, in Township 10, near the
        > Pitt County line, tied into this family. His
        > daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His
        > granddaughter, Addie Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
        > My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having
        > Indians in his family tree. He is blonde, young, and
        > told his English class last year he was a Tuscarora
        > Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't believe
        > him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about
        > this connection! His booklets will be minis because
        > he wouldn't be interested in a long detailed family
        > line. I have already made one on the Ava Gardner
        > connection for him. I try to make his history
        > interesting for him.
        > I want to make a special booklet presentation on the
        > Indian connection for him that he can share with
        > his classes. All help will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        > Faye

      • jonefa
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
          Descendants of Bennett Webb

          1 Bennett Webb 1824 - 1939

          . +Elizabeth Betsy Forbes 1829 -

          ........ 2 Penny Webb 1852 -

          ........ 2 Joseph R. Webb 1852 - 1927

          ............ +Elizabeth Vainwright 1859 - 1896

          ........ *2nd Wife of Joseph R. Webb:

          ............ +Mattie Bridgers 1878 - 1941

          ........ 2 Treacey Webb 1853 -

          ........ 2 Gray Webb 1854 -

          ............ +Amanda Webb 1847 - 1922

          ........ 2 Calvin Webb 1856 - 1932

          ............ +Helen Webb 1861 - 1932

          ........ 2 Hyrum Webb 1861 - 1908

          ............ +Jane Ella Vainwright 1861 - 1949

          ........ 2 Cornelius Webb 1864 -

          ........ 2 Addy Webb 1865 - 1941

          ............ +Kinnard Webb 1868 - 1930

          ........ 2 David Webb 1866 -

          ........ 2 Lousetty Webb 1872 -

          Anyone know who David Webb 1866 married?

          Faye Hays

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
            Dear Faye & Bob,
            It's really amazing where our children's school
            assignments can lead, isn't it?
            My own daughter's seventh grade "Family Tree"
            assignment was what got me started. Of course, I was
            planning some day to "look into" my family since my
            own knowledge did not extend much beyond my
            grandparents on either side.
            We've kept that "Tree." I had helped Fern piece it
            together from what Mama had told me over the years
            since I had grown-up. Finally, I made my mind up that
            I was not going to drop the subject the next time I
            found her in the mood to discuss family until I
            learned what I wanted to know.
            Even then, I did not get the relationships of the
            McGowans, Moores, and Worthingtons within each family
            line. I never did know, for example, who were the
            parents of my great grandfather Lemuel McGowan nor the
            names of any of his brothers and sisters or even if he
            had had any. I since discovered that all of her life,
            I addressed one "aunt" as "cousin."
            At the very least, my doing so must have made her
            wonder though, bless her, she always treated me as if
            I were the most precious treasure on earth, inviting
            me to come sit by her chair next to the heater. We
            spent many an hour side by side talking away an
            afternoon.
            That "Family Tree," though changed my life.
            Without it, I never would have known any of you or the
            members of the Pitt County Family Researchers.
            When a teacher gives an assignment, she never
            knows where it will lead or the effect it would have
            on other lives.
            Later, Carol