Re: [genpcncfir] Re: McDonald McGowan

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 70 , Sep 2, 2006
      Evelyn,

      That was very interesting. I guess that was an awkward transition
      that the schools had to make when they added the twelfth year, if the
      state board of education didn't provide the curriculum to go with
      it. My mother said she used her twelfth year to take business courses.

      My father always said Good Friday was the day to plant beans and
      corn. I wonder if they used that as an excuse to get out of school.

      I don't think they could have started school as early in the year
      back then, without climate controlled buildings. In the fifties they
      had those buildings with classrooms which had five windows side-by-
      side. The windows were always open during hot weather. I don't
      remember that they had window screens. It was often hot. The gnats
      and flies! And that was in September! Imagine if they had tried to
      cram thirty-some children in a hot sweltering classroom in August.
      Air conditioning was not added to schools until many years later.

      Trish

      Message 70 of 70 , Sep 11, 2006
        Dear Dani,
        That must have been so weird--the "under the desk
        drills."
        I remember that here in Richmond, Virginia the
        craze was bomb shelters. Many people invested in them,
        building a basement shelter or placing one in the
        yard. Bill Kittrell noted in one of his e-mails when a
        member inquired about a property he had purchased that
        there might be an underground bomb shelter on it.
        Mama figured that a bomb shelter only ensured that
        one would die of the fall-out later if he escaped the
        actual blast.
        Therefore, she did not even consider building one.
        Later, Carol