Indian village on Forbes plantation

  • jonefa
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2 6:57 AM
      Thanks so very much for this information! I have long suspected that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who lived on Cole's Mill Road, in Township 10, near the Pitt County line, tied into this family. His daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His granddaughter, Addie Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
      My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having Indians in his family tree. He is blonde, young, and told his English class last year he was a Tuscarora Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't believe him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about this connection! His booklets will be minis because he wouldn't be interested in a long detailed family line. I have already made one on the Ava Gardner connection for him. I try to make his history interesting for him.
      I want to make a special booklet presentation on the Indian connection for him that he can share with his classes. All help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks for the help.

      Faye

    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2 7:59 AM
        Faye - I know there is a connection between your Arthur Forbes b.
        1774 who moved from Pitt to Edgecombe County, and my 3-gr-
        grandfather Arthur Forbes (c.1745-1823) who lived on the same
        plantation in Beaufort/Pitt County all his life. It was not a
        father-son connection because we know all about my 3-gr-grandfather
        Arthur's two families from his Bible record. I strongly suspect it
        was an uncle-nephew connection (according to naming conventions of
        the time), and several of us believe the father of your Arthur
        Forbes b.1774 was Clement, John, or Joseph Forbes -- all suspected
        brothers of Arthur. This is all part of a confusing maze of Forbes
        men from Beaufort & Pitt Counties in the mid-to-late 1700's that
        several of us are working diligently on to establish the kinship
        connections, determined to figure them out sooner or later. We've
        amassed a huge database of deeds, etc. on the subject, and it still
        remains a big intellectual challenge.

        I cannot absolutely confirm any connections of our Forbes branch to
        Tuscarora Indians by bloodlines (although I strongly suspect it),
        but I know it's a fact that my earliest Forbes ancestors who came
        over from Scotland in the 1600's were traders with the Indians, and
        that trading activity continued well into the early 1800's. As I
        think you've aptly noted before, most of these guys were single men
        when they ventured to America, they spent most of their time trading
        with the Indians, and they had a need for female companionship. But
        hardly any of them left written records. John Lawson was a very
        literary exception to that code of silence, and his journal gives
        some insight into these types of relationships early on. So as I've,
        native American genes are suspected in many of our bloodlines, just
        very hard to prove for most of us...

        One other thing for now... I'd really appreciate any more info you
        have on the Arthur Forbes b.1774 from Edgecombe County whom you
        mention below, esp. from his early life so we can establish
        connection with the older Forbes line we know about.

        Thanks,

        Bob Forbes
        bforbes@...

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "jonefa" <jonefa@...> wrote:

        > Thanks so very much for this information! I have long suspected
        that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who lived on Cole's Mill Road, in
        Township 10, near the Pitt County line, tied into this family. His
        daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His granddaughter, Addie
        Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
        > My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having Indians in his
        family tree. He is blonde, young, and told his English class last
        year he was a Tuscarora Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't
        believe him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about this
        connection! His booklets will be minis because he wouldn't be
        interested in a long detailed family line. I have already made one
        on the Ava Gardner connection for him. I try to make his history
        interesting for him.
        > I want to make a special booklet presentation on the Indian
        connection for him that he can share with his classes. All help
        will be greatly appreciated.

        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Faye

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2 8:49 PM
          FAye,
          What a wonderful idea - mini-histories.

          My son, who is also blond and blue eyed, has a
          great-great-grandmother, who was full-blooded Indian.
          She was from Greene County. I still do not know the
          tribe - possibly Tuscarora.

          Who is the father of Addie Forbes, the grandaughter of
          Arthur Forbes?
          Marcia

          --- jonefa <jonefa@...> wrote:

          > Thanks so very much for this information! I have
          > long suspected that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who
          > lived on Cole's Mill Road, in Township 10, near the
          > Pitt County line, tied into this family. His
          > daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His
          > granddaughter, Addie Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
          > My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having
          > Indians in his family tree. He is blonde, young, and
          > told his English class last year he was a Tuscarora
          > Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't believe
          > him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about
          > this connection! His booklets will be minis because
          > he wouldn't be interested in a long detailed family
          > line. I have already made one on the Ava Gardner
          > connection for him. I try to make his history
          > interesting for him.
          > I want to make a special booklet presentation on the
          > Indian connection for him that he can share with
          > his classes. All help will be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          > Faye

        • jonefa
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3 1:39 AM
            To keep him interested, it has to be short and to the point....keep it focused.

            I am finding what I call the "secret" history of our ancestors. After the Indian war that began about 1711, life was not easy for them. History books and in fact, local historians, press the fact that "all" that were left went to New York to join with the main tribe there.

            But, that is not true, and a bit ridiculous in my humble opinion. Those who had not married into the local population, probably went, but there were as many, or more, that did not go. As late as 90 years later, even the legislature was dealing with the Indian population that was easily identified as Indian.

            A deliberate smallpox infestation took place about 1738 that drove the Indians from the reservations that were left in Northampton, Bertie and in that general area. If they could pass as a white settler, they did so because life was easier for them. And some did because white Indian traders married Indian women and had children.

            Indian and whites were not allowed to marry, according to the laws of that time, but of course, we know it happened all the time. And one early law that was never actually enforced said that an Indian family could not live within 50 miles of a white plantation. They were driven into the swamps to live, and the land they bought with their acquired English settler names was usually in a swamp.

            The migration route out of Northampton, Bertie, and Gates County was first into neighboring counties. This of course, meant Edgecombe, Nash, Halifax, Wilson/Wayne, and Johnston Counties received the first burst of settlers. And, a simple fact is that some of them can be identified simply by the fact that they moved place to place and settled in communities together. If you find one, you are more than likely to find several families who bought land next to their neighbors/families in a previous county.

            And, if someone wants to get rid of you bad enough to give you smallpox, it's time to move on.

            Many of these same families migrated into Bladen County, Robeson County, and on into SC. Some of the same families reunited on the PeeDee River in South Carolina.

            I have been talking with an Edgecombe County researcher who said that his family had always known they were Indians because they were dark complexioned. I found it especially interesting to note that he said that after he got interested in genealogy and started asking questions, that he found that after leaving South Carolina a pact had been made with all the families to never discuss their origins.. The past is the past, one grandfather said and would never speak of it.

            As for the name of the tribe, Tuscarora is the main Indian tribe for Edgecombe and surrounding counties. Some people insist they are Cherokee, but if they came from Edgecombe, Pitt County, that's not possible. There never was a Cherokee tribe here. Cherokees were enemies of the Tuscaroras.

            Faye Hays

            --- jonefa <jonefa@...> wrote:

            > Thanks so very much for this information! I have
            > long suspected that Arthur Forbes born abt 1774 who
            > lived on Cole's Mill Road, in Township 10, near the
            > Pitt County line, tied into this family. His
            > daughter, Betsy, married Bennett Webb. His
            > granddaughter, Addie Forbes married Kinniard Webb.
            > My grandson, 11, is so very excited about having
            > Indians in his family tree. He is blonde, young, and
            > told his English class last year he was a Tuscarora
            > Indian. Being blonde, he said they didn't believe
            > him. : ( But he is very excited about knowing about
            > this connection! His booklets will be minis because
            > he wouldn't be interested in a long detailed family
            > line. I have already made one on the Ava Gardner
            > connection for him. I try to make his history
            > interesting for him.
            > I want to make a special booklet presentation on the
            > Indian connection for him that he can share with
            > his classes. All help will be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks for the help.
            > Faye

          • jonefa
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3 1:43 AM
              Descendants of Bennett Webb

              1 Bennett Webb 1824 - 1939

              . +Elizabeth Betsy Forbes 1829 -

              ........ 2 Penny Webb 1852 -

              ........ 2 Joseph R. Webb 1852 - 1927

              ............ +Elizabeth Vainwright 1859 - 1896

              ........ *2nd Wife of Joseph R. Webb:

              ............ +Mattie Bridgers 1878 - 1941

              ........ 2 Treacey Webb 1853 -

              ........ 2 Gray Webb 1854 -

              ............ +Amanda Webb 1847 - 1922

              ........ 2 Calvin Webb 1856 - 1932

              ............ +Helen Webb 1861 - 1932

              ........ 2 Hyrum Webb 1861 - 1908

              ............ +Jane Ella Vainwright 1861 - 1949

              ........ 2 Cornelius Webb 1864 -

              ........ 2 Addy Webb 1865 - 1941

              ............ +Kinnard Webb 1868 - 1930

              ........ 2 David Webb 1866 -

              ........ 2 Lousetty Webb 1872 -

              Anyone know who David Webb 1866 married?

              Faye Hays

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5 3:19 PM
                Dear Faye & Bob,
                It's really amazing where our children's school
                assignments can lead, isn't it?
                My own daughter's seventh grade "Family Tree"
                assignment was what got me started. Of course, I was
                planning some day to "look into" my family since my
                own knowledge did not extend much beyond my
                grandparents on either side.
                We've kept that "Tree." I had helped Fern piece it
                together from what Mama had told me over the years
                since I had grown-up. Finally, I made my mind up that
                I was not going to drop the subject the next time I
                found her in the mood to discuss family until I
                learned what I wanted to know.
                Even then, I did not get the relationships of the
                McGowans, Moores, and Worthingtons within each family
                line. I never did know, for example, who were the
                parents of my great grandfather Lemuel McGowan nor the
                names of any of his brothers and sisters or even if he
                had had any. I since discovered that all of her life,
                I addressed one "aunt" as "cousin."
                At the very least, my doing so must have made her
                wonder though, bless her, she always treated me as if
                I were the most precious treasure on earth, inviting
                me to come sit by her chair next to the heater. We
                spent many an hour side by side talking away an
                afternoon.
                That "Family Tree," though changed my life.
                Without it, I never would have known any of you or the
                members of the Pitt County Family Researchers.
                When a teacher gives an assignment, she never
                knows where it will lead or the effect it would have
                on other lives.
                Later, Carol