Harris Mill Run and the Randolphs

  • liz_sparrow
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      Bob, do you know for whom Harris Mill Run was named? My Harris
      ancestors (Timothy I and II, Henry, Spencer S., John Spencer, etc.)
      owned land in the Falkland area between Farmville and Bruce that was
      close or adjacent to Cottendale and to the Foremans. I'm always
      interested in collecting tidbits of information about any of them,
      so if you know about Harris Mill, I'd be delighted to hear. Also,
      one of Spencer S. Harris's daughters, Sarah Ann (1834-1855), married
      John Randolph in 1854, son of Jesse S. Randolph who died in 1855, I
      believe, but Sarah Ann died at 21, probably during childbirth. I am
      assuming the Randolph Farm you mentioned belonged to the same
      family. Do you know anything about the Randolphs? Did they stay in
      the area?

      Thanks......Liz

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "bforbes@..." <bforbes@...> wrote:

      > Yes Faye, thanks for asking about that. The "Arthur Forbes place"
      Henry
      > King spoke of on pg 22 of his book was the farm of my 2gr-grand
      uncle
      > Arthur Forbes (1806-1881), twin to my 2gr-grandfather Alfred Forbes
      > (1806-1847). If you know the Falkland Hwy (NC 43N) between
      Greenville and
      > Falkland, Arthur Forbes's farm bordered that road from Harris Mill
      Run (the
      > 'deep bottom' below B's BBQ today) westward to about today's
      location of
      > Hwy 264 bypass, runniung north to the Tar River. His twin brother
      Alfred
      > Forbes's farm started at about Hwy 264 Bypass today and ran
      westward to the
      > Randolph Farm which is now Ironwood Country Club, also bounded on
      the north
      > at the river.
      >
      >(clipped the rest....)
    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
        Bob can probably add more to this. There is a John Randolph cemetery on NC
        43 North on the south side of the road before you get to Blue Banks. I was
        told the old Randolph house was on the same side near the cemetery. You
        have Randolph's Landing on the Tar River just before Blue Banks. This info
        taken from article by George Threewitts on landings along the Tar.

        According to his article there was a Harris Mill Ck near Pillsboro Landing
        (toward Greenville)
        Bill
        > Bob, do you know for whom Harris Mill Run was named? My Harris
        > ancestors (Timothy I and II, Henry, Spencer S., John Spencer, etc.)
        > owned land in the Falkland area between Farmville and Bruce that was
        > close or adjacent to Cottendale and to the Foremans. I'm always
        > interested in collecting tidbits of information about any of them,
        > so if you know about Harris Mill, I'd be delighted to hear. Also,
        > one of Spencer S. Harris's daughters, Sarah Ann (1834-1855), married
        > John Randolph in 1854, son of Jesse S. Randolph who died in 1855, I
        > believe, but Sarah Ann died at 21, probably during childbirth. I am
        > assuming the Randolph Farm you mentioned belonged to the same
        > family. Do you know anything about the Randolphs? Did they stay in
        > the area?
        >
        > Thanks......Liz
        >

        > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "bforbes@..." <bforbes@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Yes Faye, thanks for asking about that. The "Arthur Forbes place"
        > Henry
        >> King spoke of on pg 22 of his book was the farm of my 2gr-grand
        > uncle
        >> Arthur Forbes (1806-1881), twin to my 2gr-grandfather Alfred Forbes
        >> (1806-1847). If you know the Falkland Hwy (NC 43N) between
        > Greenville and
        >> Falkland, Arthur Forbes's farm bordered that road from Harris Mill
        > Run (the
        >> 'deep bottom' below B's BBQ today) westward to about today's
        > location of
        >> Hwy 264 bypass, runniung north to the Tar River. His twin brother
        > Alfred
        >> Forbes's farm started at about Hwy 264 Bypass today and ran
        > westward to the
        >> Randolph Farm which is now Ironwood Country Club, also bounded on
        > the north
        >> at the river.
        >>
        >>(clipped the rest....)

        > information:

      • liz_sparrow
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
          About the Randolphs, I misread my notes about Jesse S. Randolph. He
          was not the father of John; instead he was the son of Sarah Ann
          Harris and John Randolph and died as a newborn infant in 1855.

          Liz

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "liz_sparrow" <liz_sparrow@...>