McDonald McGowan

  • lisascarola
    Message 1 of 70 , Sep 1, 2006
      Trish,

      I have heard that my great great grandfather McDonald(MD)McGowan had
      lots of jobs, two I can remember off hand was a contractor and
      sometimes school teacher. Do you know of anyone who might be able to
      find out where and when he might have taught school. I know his last
      home that he built was about a mile from Hollywood Church. Any idea
      what school might have been out that way, when he was alive (1848-1924)?

      Just wondering since I have thought about this many times and have
      never asked anyone.

      Cousin,
      Lisa
      Message 70 of 70 , Sep 11, 2006
        Dear Dani,
        That must have been so weird--the "under the desk
        drills."
        I remember that here in Richmond, Virginia the
        craze was bomb shelters. Many people invested in them,
        building a basement shelter or placing one in the
        yard. Bill Kittrell noted in one of his e-mails when a
        member inquired about a property he had purchased that
        there might be an underground bomb shelter on it.
        Mama figured that a bomb shelter only ensured that
        one would die of the fall-out later if he escaped the
        actual blast.
        Therefore, she did not even consider building one.
        Later, Carol