Cecil Turner

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 70 , Sep 1, 2006
      Paula and Lisa,

      Thank you for finding this information.

      I believe this may be the same person who was the teacher pictured in
      the class of 1925-26 at Winterville High School.

      I found a Cecil Arline Tucker in Pitt Chronicles Vol. II and the
      dates match this death certificate.

      The article says he owned and operated the City Market on Dickinson
      Avenue in Greenville from 1926 to 1953.

      However, the article does not mention whether he ever taught school.

      It does list his children, one of whom appears to be living and
      contributed to the article which was written by Roger Kammerer, so I
      will contact them.

      Trish

      Message 70 of 70 , Sep 11, 2006
        Dear Dani,
        That must have been so weird--the "under the desk
        drills."
        I remember that here in Richmond, Virginia the
        craze was bomb shelters. Many people invested in them,
        building a basement shelter or placing one in the
        yard. Bill Kittrell noted in one of his e-mails when a
        member inquired about a property he had purchased that
        there might be an underground bomb shelter on it.
        Mama figured that a bomb shelter only ensured that
        one would die of the fall-out later if he escaped the
        actual blast.
        Therefore, she did not even consider building one.
        Later, Carol