Re: Miss Laura V. Cox

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
      This is what we have gathered so far on Miss Laura V. Cox:

      � she was listed in the 1900 Census in Winterville, NC

      # 183/183
      Cox, John D., head, W, M, b. Jan 1856, age 44, md. 14 yrs., Surveyor
      �, Addie S., wife, W, F, b. May 1862, age 38, md. 14 yrs, children 1
      born, 1 living
      �, Jama, W, M, b. Mar 1886, age 14, single, Farm labor
      �, Lura, cousin, W, F, b. Nov. 1872, age 27, single, School Teacher

      My note: John David and Addie Smith Cox lived on Church Street in
      Winterville. Their old home is still there. The house was sold to
      Mellie and Henry Dail and in 1946 my father bought it. I lived there
      my first five years.

      From correspondence preserved by the Cox family:

      � she taught at Winterville High School (or Academy) ca 1907

      � she boarded with Mr. & Mrs. J. D. Cox.
      Note: John David Cox was a surveyor and travelled frequently
      throughout North Carolina, presumably with his work.

      � she was working at Oxford Orphanage Oxford, NC Jul 1907

      � she received a card in May 1908 addressed to Wake Forest, NC, in
      care of F. O. Cox.
      (Is F. O. Cox Fountain Oscar, b. 1876?)
      (assume she was either visiting or boarding there at the time)

      � she was at the University of Chicago in 1908

      � she received an appointed in 1910 (possibly to be an Episcopal
      missionary)

      � cemetery record in Mrs. St. Amand's Vol. 4, p. 87, under Ayden
      Cemetery:

      Laura Virginia, dau. of Cannon and Margaret H. Cox
      born Nov. 29, 1872, died Feb 2, 194_.

      � cemetery record from J. L. Jackson's Gravestone Transcriptions,
      Pitt Co., NC, Part 2
      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/pitt/cemeteries/jacksonCems2.txt

      Laura Virginia Cox, Nov. 29, 1872 - Feb. 2, 1941
      Margaret H. Whitford Cox, May 21, 1844 - Nov. 6, 1885

      --------------------------

      Help received from Judy: skipper4095386@...

      From the book "The Whitford Family of Eastern North Carolina"
      compiled by
      Victor T. Jones, Jr., Janis Cannon, Vera Whitford and other members
      of the
      Whitford Family Reunion (2000)...

      Margaret Whitford was born May 21, 1844. She married Cannon Cox on
      December
      2, 1865 in Craven County. She died on November 6, 1885 in Pitt
      County at the
      age of 41. Children:
      Susan J. Cox born circa 1857
      John C. Cox born circa 1860
      Albert D. Cox born August 1869
      Mary A. C. Cox born circa 1872
      Laura Cox born circa 1873
      Margaret Cox born circa 1875
      Ophelia Cox born circa 1878

      Also from same book....
      Sun Journal, September 8, 1936 "Whitford Family in Big Reunion at Askin
      Sunday"

      "Among the many branches of the family represented relatives from
      Virginia
      for the first time. These were Laura V. Cox, her sister, Mrs.
      Hamilton, and the
      latter's son and daughter, of Chase City, Va. They were joined by a
      brother
      from Winterville, N.C.

      The newcomers are descendants of the late Lorenzo D. Whitford, who
      lived some
      years ago a few miles from New Bern."

      Judy

      --------------------------
      Help received from Carol:

      Margaret Whitford was the daughter of Lorenzo K. Whitford, b. 1823,
      and Cassandra Stephenson.

      Cannon Cox was the son of Daniel Cox and Mary.

      Children of Margaret Whitford, second wife, and Cannon Cox were:
      Albert Dow Cox 1870-20 Jan 1951;
      Mary Ann Cox 1871-1923, married William Jospeh Mumford d. 1939;
      Ophelia Beulah, b. 1878, married Heber Hamilton.
      Laurie Virginia Cox never married.

      Cannon Cox and his first wife Nancy had a grandson Dock Harvey Cox b.
      1900 who married Carrie Lee
      Hollowary, b. 1901, in 1919. They had a daughter Phyllis Ann Cox
      born Oct. 24, 1944 who died in 1997. She married a Sawyer, who is
      still living; several of
      their children are also living.

      Cannon Cox and Nancy had Susan J. Cox (1856) who married Samuel
      Manning and John C. Cox (1860) who
      married Dillie Ann Garris (b. 1862), married 5 March 1883. Their only
      child was Dock Harvey Cox, b. 1900.
      He and his wife had several children. She's related some generations
      back to Amos Garris.

      John David Cox was born 1850, died 1930, which you probably knew
      already. His parents were Josiah Cox and
      Sarah Ann Tyson. John David Cox and Adelaide Smith had one child,
      Jamie Saunders Cox.

      --------------------------------

      Now, I wish to find the family relationship of Miss Laura to John
      David Cox or to his wife Adelaide "Addie" Smith Cox. Laura (Lura) is
      listed as a cousin in the 1900 census, so I think it would be
      through the Cox side of the family, although she could be a cousin to
      Addie through the Smith side of the family.

      Mrs. St. Amand did not list this Laura V. Cox in the volume of Our
      Family Genealogy that she revised, which surprises me, but maybe she
      could not prove the kinship.

      Thanks for your help.
      Trish

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
        Dear Trish,
        Thanks! This information will help me with
        tracking. I copied your e-mail so that I can follow it
        as I go. I e-mail copies back to me so that your
        information goes into my current file in my own
        e-mail. That way I do not have to look it up by
        scrolling back to the date. Of course, I also have
        electronic folders, but I have so much in them that I
        never use them for storing current research.
        Later, Carol

        --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

        === message truncated ===

      • rootspuzzle
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          These may fit.

          1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
          City > District 9
          17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
          Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
          Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
          Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC

          1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
          Creek > District 130

          Cannon Cox 47
          Margaret H. Cox 36
          John C. Cox 20
          Alberd D. Cox 10
          Mary A. C. Cox 8
          Laura Cox 7
          Margaret Cox 5
          Ophelia Cox 2
          Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
          Cyrena Cox 64 sister

          1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
          Ward 1 > District 46
          Peabody Street 1026-163-194
          William F Cardon 58
          Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
          Buchanan Cardon 25son
          Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
          Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law

          Sue

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
            Thanks! This information has made my day!!
            Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

          • Trish Worthington Cobb
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
              Sue,

              That looks like a perfect match. It also tells me that Miss Laura
              maintained her profession, just as I suspected.
              I'll bet this is where she was living at her death, in Chase City, VA.

              Thanks so much for the help. This project is turning into a nice
              group affair and I will give each of you credit.

              Trish

              On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:47 AM, rootspuzzle wrote:

              > These may fit.
              >
              > 1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
              > City > District 9
              > 17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
              > Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
              > Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
              > Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC
              >

              > 1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
              > Creek > District 130
              >
              > Cannon Cox 47
              > Margaret H. Cox 36
              > John C. Cox 20
              > Alberd D. Cox 10
              > Mary A. C. Cox 8
              > Laura Cox 7
              > Margaret Cox 5
              > Ophelia Cox 2
              > Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
              > Cyrena Cox 64 sister
              >
              > 1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
              > Ward 1 > District 46
              > Peabody Street 1026-163-194
              > William F Cardon 58
              > Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
              > Buchanan Cardon 25son
              > Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
              > Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law
              >
              > Sue

            • jvriggs
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                Some additional information that may be interesting to you.

                Laura Virginia Cox joined Antioch Baptist Church (now Winterville
                Baptist Church)and was baptized in 1888. She received her BA degree
                from Meredith College and was appointed by the Southern Baptist
                Foreign Mission Board on June 10, 1910 to serve in Mexico. She
                taught English in the Girl's Boarding School at Guayamas in the
                State of Sonora. She was also responsible for administering the
                physical education program of the school. The staff of the school
                managed to keep the school operating, inspite of war in the country
                until 1914, when the conditions were such that they were no longer
                able to remain in the country. Miss Cox appears to have been able
                to go back to her post by late 1915 and continued some level of work
                unitl 1918. From 1918 through 1923, the archives of the Foreign
                Mission Board indicate that she was on furlough. There is some
                suggestion from minutes of the Women's Missionary Society minutes of
                Winterville Baptist Church that she is on furlough due to health
                concerns. The 1923 minutes of the Foreign Mission Board indicate
                that Miss Cox has returned to work once more at the school in
                Guaymas. The minutes also indicate that during her furlough, she
                has been engaged in "school work" in Tennessee and North Carolina.
                There are entries in the Women's Missionary Society minutes during
                this time period that Miss Cox presented special missions programs
                at Winterville Baptist Church. The 1925 minutes of the Foreign
                Mission Board indicate that Miss Cox has been placed in charge of
                the school at Guaymas. She continued in that capacity until 1927
                when the minutes indicate that she is no longer able to serve in
                that capacity. The Foreign Mission Board records show that Miss Cox
                resigned from the mission field on July 1, 1927. Again, my best
                recollection of what was told to me some years ago by older members
                of the church is that she resigned due to health problems, however,
                I have not found documentation to verify that.
              • Trish Worthington Cobb
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Jesse,
                  Thank you. This is going to add greatly to the project. I hope I am
                  able to locate some of her siblings' descendants to try to get photos
                  and other information. If you come across anything else, send it my
                  way.
                  I haven't started scanning the post cards, yet, but hope to get to
                  that as soon as I can make the time.
                  Trish