Re: [genpcncfir] Miss Laura V. Cox

  • skipper4095386@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
      From the book "The Whitford Family of Eastern North Carolina" compiled by
      Victor T. Jones, Jr., Janis Cannon, Vera Whitford and other members of the
      Whitford Family Reunion (2000)...

      Margaret Whitford was born May 21, 1844. She married Cannon Cox on December
      2, 1865 in Craven County. She died on November 6, 1885 in Pitt County at the
      age of 41. Children:
      Susan J. Cox born circa 1857
      John C. Cox born circa 1860
      Albert D. Cox born August 1869
      Mary A. C. Cox born circa 1872
      Laura Cox born circa 1873
      Margaret Cox born circa 1875
      Ophelia Cox born circa 1878

      Also from same book....
      Sun Journal, September 8, 1936 "Whitford Family in Big Reunion at Askin
      Sunday"

      "Among the many branches of the family represented relatives from Virginia
      for the first time. These were Laura V. Cox, her sister, Mrs. Hamilton, and the
      latter's son and daughter, of Chase City, Va. They were joined by a brother
      from Winterville, N.C.

      The newcomers are descendants of the late Lorenzo D. Whitford, who lived some
      years ago a few miles from New Bern."

      Judy

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
        This is what we have gathered so far on Miss Laura V. Cox:

        � she was listed in the 1900 Census in Winterville, NC

        # 183/183
        Cox, John D., head, W, M, b. Jan 1856, age 44, md. 14 yrs., Surveyor
        �, Addie S., wife, W, F, b. May 1862, age 38, md. 14 yrs, children 1
        born, 1 living
        �, Jama, W, M, b. Mar 1886, age 14, single, Farm labor
        �, Lura, cousin, W, F, b. Nov. 1872, age 27, single, School Teacher

        My note: John David and Addie Smith Cox lived on Church Street in
        Winterville. Their old home is still there. The house was sold to
        Mellie and Henry Dail and in 1946 my father bought it. I lived there
        my first five years.

        From correspondence preserved by the Cox family:

        � she taught at Winterville High School (or Academy) ca 1907

        � she boarded with Mr. & Mrs. J. D. Cox.
        Note: John David Cox was a surveyor and travelled frequently
        throughout North Carolina, presumably with his work.

        � she was working at Oxford Orphanage Oxford, NC Jul 1907

        � she received a card in May 1908 addressed to Wake Forest, NC, in
        care of F. O. Cox.
        (Is F. O. Cox Fountain Oscar, b. 1876?)
        (assume she was either visiting or boarding there at the time)

        � she was at the University of Chicago in 1908

        � she received an appointed in 1910 (possibly to be an Episcopal
        missionary)

        � cemetery record in Mrs. St. Amand's Vol. 4, p. 87, under Ayden
        Cemetery:

        Laura Virginia, dau. of Cannon and Margaret H. Cox
        born Nov. 29, 1872, died Feb 2, 194_.

        � cemetery record from J. L. Jackson's Gravestone Transcriptions,
        Pitt Co., NC, Part 2
        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/pitt/cemeteries/jacksonCems2.txt

        Laura Virginia Cox, Nov. 29, 1872 - Feb. 2, 1941
        Margaret H. Whitford Cox, May 21, 1844 - Nov. 6, 1885

        --------------------------

        Help received from Judy: skipper4095386@...

        From the book "The Whitford Family of Eastern North Carolina"
        compiled by
[...]

        Help received from Carol:

        Margaret Whitford was the daughter of Lorenzo K. Whitford, b. 1823,
        and Cassandra Stephenson.

        Cannon Cox was the son of Daniel Cox and Mary.

        Children of Margaret Whitford, second wife, and Cannon Cox were:
        Albert Dow Cox 1870-20 Jan 1951;
        Mary Ann Cox 1871-1923, married William Jospeh Mumford d. 1939;
        Ophelia Beulah, b. 1878, married Heber Hamilton.
        Laurie Virginia Cox never married.

        Cannon Cox and his first wife Nancy had a grandson Dock Harvey Cox b.
        1900 who married Carrie Lee
        Hollowary, b. 1901, in 1919. They had a daughter Phyllis Ann Cox
        born Oct. 24, 1944 who died in 1997. She married a Sawyer, who is
        still living; several of
        their children are also living.

        Cannon Cox and Nancy had Susan J. Cox (1856) who married Samuel
        Manning and John C. Cox (1860) who
        married Dillie Ann Garris (b. 1862), married 5 March 1883. Their only
        child was Dock Harvey Cox, b. 1900.
        He and his wife had several children. She's related some generations
        back to Amos Garris.

        John David Cox was born 1850, died 1930, which you probably knew
        already. His parents were Josiah Cox and
        Sarah Ann Tyson. John David Cox and Adelaide Smith had one child,
        Jamie Saunders Cox.

        --------------------------------

        Now, I wish to find the family relationship of Miss Laura to John
        David Cox or to his wife Adelaide "Addie" Smith Cox. Laura (Lura) is
        listed as a cousin in the 1900 census, so I think it would be
        through the Cox side of the family, although she could be a cousin to
        Addie through the Smith side of the family.

        Mrs. St. Amand did not list this Laura V. Cox in the volume of Our
        Family Genealogy that she revised, which surprises me, but maybe she
        could not prove the kinship.

        Thanks for your help.
        Trish

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
          Dear Trish,
          Thanks! This information will help me with
          tracking. I copied your e-mail so that I can follow it
          as I go. I e-mail copies back to me so that your
          information goes into my current file in my own
          e-mail. That way I do not have to look it up by
          scrolling back to the date. Of course, I also have
          electronic folders, but I have so much in them that I
          never use them for storing current research.
          Later, Carol

          --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

          === message truncated ===

        • rootspuzzle
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
            These may fit.

            1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
            City > District 9
            17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
            Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
            Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
            Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC

            1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
            Creek > District 130

            Cannon Cox 47
            Margaret H. Cox 36
            John C. Cox 20
            Alberd D. Cox 10
            Mary A. C. Cox 8
            Laura Cox 7
            Margaret Cox 5
            Ophelia Cox 2
            Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
            Cyrena Cox 64 sister

            1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
            Ward 1 > District 46
            Peabody Street 1026-163-194
            William F Cardon 58
            Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
            Buchanan Cardon 25son
            Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
            Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law

            Sue

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
              Thanks! This information has made my day!!
              Later, Carol

              === message truncated ===

            • Trish Worthington Cobb
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                Sue,

                That looks like a perfect match. It also tells me that Miss Laura
                maintained her profession, just as I suspected.
                I'll bet this is where she was living at her death, in Chase City, VA.

                Thanks so much for the help. This project is turning into a nice
                group affair and I will give each of you credit.

                Trish

                On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:47 AM, rootspuzzle wrote:

                > These may fit.
                >
                > 1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
                > City > District 9
                > 17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
                > Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
                > Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
                > Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC
                >

                > 1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
                > Creek > District 130
                >
                > Cannon Cox 47
                > Margaret H. Cox 36
                > John C. Cox 20
                > Alberd D. Cox 10
                > Mary A. C. Cox 8
                > Laura Cox 7
                > Margaret Cox 5
                > Ophelia Cox 2
                > Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
                > Cyrena Cox 64 sister
                >
                > 1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
                > Ward 1 > District 46
                > Peabody Street 1026-163-194
                > William F Cardon 58
                > Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
                > Buchanan Cardon 25son
                > Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
                > Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law
                >
                > Sue

              • jvriggs
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Some additional information that may be interesting to you.

                  Laura Virginia Cox joined Antioch Baptist Church (now Winterville
                  Baptist Church)and was baptized in 1888. She received her BA degree
                  from Meredith College and was appointed by the Southern Baptist
                  Foreign Mission Board on June 10, 1910 to serve in Mexico. She
                  taught English in the Girl's Boarding School at Guayamas in the
                  State of Sonora. She was also responsible for administering the
                  physical education program of the school. The staff of the school
                  managed to keep the school operating, inspite of war in the country
                  until 1914, when the conditions were such that they were no longer
                  able to remain in the country. Miss Cox appears to have been able
                  to go back to her post by late 1915 and continued some level of work
                  unitl 1918. From 1918 through 1923, the archives of the Foreign
                  Mission Board indicate that she was on furlough. There is some
                  suggestion from minutes of the Women's Missionary Society minutes of
                  Winterville Baptist Church that she is on furlough due to health
                  concerns. The 1923 minutes of the Foreign Mission Board indicate
                  that Miss Cox has returned to work once more at the school in
                  Guaymas. The minutes also indicate that during her furlough, she
                  has been engaged in "school work" in Tennessee and North Carolina.
                  There are entries in the Women's Missionary Society minutes during
                  this time period that Miss Cox presented special missions programs
                  at Winterville Baptist Church. The 1925 minutes of the Foreign
                  Mission Board indicate that Miss Cox has been placed in charge of
                  the school at Guaymas. She continued in that capacity until 1927
                  when the minutes indicate that she is no longer able to serve in
                  that capacity. The Foreign Mission Board records show that Miss Cox
                  resigned from the mission field on July 1, 1927. Again, my best
                  recollection of what was told to me some years ago by older members
                  of the church is that she resigned due to health problems, however,
                  I have not found documentation to verify that.
                • Trish Worthington Cobb
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                    Jesse,
                    Thank you. This is going to add greatly to the project. I hope I am
                    able to locate some of her siblings' descendants to try to get photos
                    and other information. If you come across anything else, send it my
                    way.
                    I haven't started scanning the post cards, yet, but hope to get to
                    that as soon as I can make the time.
                    Trish