Re: [genpcncfir] NC Militia

  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
      csinghworthington@... writes:

      > Dear Bill,
      > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
      > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
      > this information.
      > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
      > have from time to time been mentioned in different
      > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
      > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
      > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
      > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
      > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
      > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
      > believe, also has the quarterlies.
      > Later, Carol

      Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
      the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
      this search? -- Bill

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
        Dear Bill,
        The North Carolina Historical Society is the
        greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
        publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
        Library in Greenville.
        I realize that you are not within hollering
        distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
        topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
        copies for you.
        Later, carol

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
          In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
          csinghworthington@... writes:

          > Dear Bill,
          > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
          > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
          > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
          > Library in Greenville.
          > I realize that you are not within hollering
          > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
          > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
          > copies for you.
          > Later, carol

          Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
            csinghworthington@... writes:

            > Dear Bill,
            > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
            > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
            > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
            > Library in Greenville.
            > I realize that you are not within hollering
            > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
            > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
            > copies for you.
            > Later, carol

            Dear Carol,
            In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
            meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
            members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
            drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
            usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
            William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
            Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
            to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
            Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
            is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
            in North Carolina in 1781?

            Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
            interest in Red Banks church.

            Bill Arnold

          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
              In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
              paulabaker69@... writes:

              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
              >
              > Paula Anne Baker
              > paulabaker69@...

              Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
              were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
              reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

              I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
              Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
              existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
              VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
              what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
              Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
              Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

              Thanks again for your interest and your help.

              Bill Arnold