  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2 12:40 PM
      The name Ava near the end of this document caught my eye. I could not find any date for that document so I am just jumping at straws.
      My father's great-grandmother was named "Ava." I have never found a last name for her. She was born about 1810. She married Joseph Bailey and they lived in Greene Co.
      Is it possible that the Ava mentioned here is the same one who married Joseph Bailey? If anyone knows please notify me. I have been looking for her for over thirty years.
      Evelyn

      THO. DAIL had a will and died about 14 years ago - gave all his property
      to JOHN & ANN ??? -hard to read - during their lives and after death of
      JOHN to his other children. THOMAS DAIL and MRS. DAIL were exec - acres
      divided according to the will --- one Negro and land - after JOHN'S death
      the girls to have $500 out of that - guardians have had possession of
      property - JNO is now of age --- $1400 to be divided among heirs (Patsey's
      children got none) - Executor lived in Greene County - PATSEY'S children
      want their share - her children were AVA is 23 and JEMINA is 21

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2 6:43 PM
        Evelyn,

        Someone posted this online in answer to your question on a message board.
        You probably missed the answer, or it was incorrect. Sending it your way.

        "From Ella Bailey Darden's notes: Death records of Greene County: Bailey,
        Jesse, d.27 May 1922, Walstonburg, NC, occupation Farmer, widowed, age 75.
        Father-Joseph Bailey, Mother-Ava Williams, both of Greene County,NC.
        Informant-Jesse Bailey, Jr."

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

        "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
        chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
        before us and showed us the way."

        Thomas Mann
      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3 7:31 AM
          Evelyn,
          Just a quick reply. I do have a last name for Ava. It
          is Williams. Most of the "Bailey" data around her is
          documented as from you, so I would have assumed from
          my docmentation it was you.

          Later when I have more time, I will see research where
          I acquired it.
          Marcia

          --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:

          > The name Ava near the end of this document caught my
          > eye. I could not find any date for that document so
          > I am just jumping at straws.
          > My father's great-grandmother was named "Ava." I
          > have never found a last name for her. She was born
          > about 1810. She married Joseph Bailey and they lived
          > in Greene Co.
          > Is it possible that the Ava mentioned here is the
          > same one who married Joseph Bailey? If anyone knows
          > please notify me. I have been looking for her for
          > over thirty years.
          > Evelyn
          >
          > THO. DAIL had a will and died about 14 years ago -
          > gave all his property
          > to JOHN & ANN ??? -hard to read - during their lives
          > and after death of
          > JOHN to his other children. THOMAS DAIL and MRS.
          > DAIL were exec - acres
          > divided according to the will --- one Negro and land
          > - after JOHN'S death
          > the girls to have $500 out of that - guardians have
          > had possession of
          > property - JNO is now of age --- $1400 to be divided
          > among heirs (Patsey's
          > children got none) - Executor lived in Greene County
          > - PATSEY'S children
          > want their share - her children were AVA is 23 and
          > JEMINA is 21

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3 11:21 AM
            Thank you, Marcia. I have the information now that I need. I have made several posts about this through the years, so it is very like that the info you have is from me. Someone once told me Ava was a Williams, but she did not know where she got the information. This is the first proof that I have had. It is so good to finally find it and the proof to go with it.
            When I was younger and first started this I got up to that area about once a month, but I had work to do, so still not have a lot of time for research. What I did was mainly confined to interviewing some of the older people. They were a gold mine of information. Most of them would gladly bring old family documents, letters, etc. Then we moved away completely and I never got a chance to go research there anymore. Now that we are back closer my health won't allow it. I am so grateful for people on this list who are such a great help.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3 1:47 PM
              This is to help someone on another list. He's wanting some info on Minnie
              and I know some of you are well-versed in Gurganus.

              Does anyone know if there are birth, death, and marriage records
              for Pitt Co on line? I am looking for information on Minnie Lee
              Gurganus. She is thought to have been born to a Walter B. Gurganus and
              Minnie
              Mitchell. She married Van Killebrew Jenkins of Edgecombe co. He was
              born 8-9-1906 and died 5-23-1936.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 11 3:36 PM
                Paula, I found this on Gurganus website.

                Minnie Mitchell
                Born: abt 1883 per 1910 Census
                Mom: Napolean Mitchell [b:1862]
                Dad: Frances Willis [1862-1924]
                Residence: in 1910 was Washington (Beaufort), NC
                Death: 9/8/1983

                Census, 1920; NC, Beaufort Co: Minnie L. Gurganus
                [Minnie Mitchell] 37, William A. 11, Jennie Gray 9,
                Walter R. 7, Charles M. 4.5; all born in NC

                http://209.190.235.73/genes/db/browse.cfm?ID=34897

                There is more....
                Marcia

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 12 10:13 AM
                    Paula,
                    1930 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Beaufort >
                    Washington > District 19
                    Second Street 428-198-230
                    Jannie Mitchell 43 female single
                    Eloise Mitchell 38 female single sister
                    Van K Jenkins 23 male md:21 boarder
                    Minnie L Jenkins 24 female md:22 boarder
                    430-199-231
                    Minnie Gurganus 47 female wd:
                    J ? G. 19 female single daug
                    Robert 17 male single son
                    Ch? 15 male single son
                    Aubrey 22 male single son

                    North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996
                    Name: Van K Jenkins Death Date: 23 May 1936 Death County: Avery
                    Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 29 Birth Date: 1907 Race:
                    White Source: NC State Archives. North Carolina Deaths, 1908-67

                    1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Edgecombe >
                    Cokey > District 20
                    South Cokey Rd. 110-113
                    Bilbry D Jenkins 43 Ruth Jenkins 28 wife Vivian Jenkins 20 Sarah
                    Jenkins 18 Van K Jenkins 13 Hugh P Jenkins 8 Bilbry I Jenkins 1 4/12

                    1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Edgecombe >
                    Rocky Mt Ward 3 > District 26
                    Edgecombe St. 465-164-189
                    Rilbry D Jenkins 35 md1: 11 Sallie E Jenkins 34md1:11 ch:4-liv:3
                    Vivian B Jenkins 10 Sarah R Jenkins 8 Van K Jenkins 3

                    1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Beaufort >
                    Washington Ward 4 > District 15
                    Fourth St. 440-443
                    Walter B Gurganus 34 md1; 6 Minnie L Gurganus 27 md1:6 ch: 2-liv:2
                    Minnie L Gurganus 5 William A Gurganus 2

                    Sue