Re: [genpcncfir] Bill/Arnold also this page

  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
      paulabaker69@... writes:

      > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
      >
      > Paula Anne Baker

      Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
      some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
      were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
      concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
      and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
      so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
      Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
      am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
      1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
      and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
      have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
      have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

      Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
      coming.

      Thanks again,

      Bill

    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
        paulabaker69@... writes:

        > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
        > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
        > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
        > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
        >
        > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
        >
        > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
        > and died in April 1781.
        >
        > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
        > 1781.
        >
        > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
        >
        > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
        >
        > Paula Anne Baker

        Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
        1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
        In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
        Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
        the 30 years that included 1871.
        Bill

      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
          In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
          csinghworthington@... writes:

          > Dear Bill,
          > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
          > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
          > this information.
          > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
          > have from time to time been mentioned in different
          > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
          > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
          > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
          > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
          > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
          > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
          > believe, also has the quarterlies.
          > Later, Carol

          Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
          the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
          this search? -- Bill

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
            Dear Bill,
            The North Carolina Historical Society is the
            greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
            publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
            Library in Greenville.
            I realize that you are not within hollering
            distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
            topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
            copies for you.
            Later, carol

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
              In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
              csinghworthington@... writes:

              > Dear Bill,
              > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
              > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
              > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
              > Library in Greenville.
              > I realize that you are not within hollering
              > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
              > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
              > copies for you.
              > Later, carol

              Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                csinghworthington@... writes:

                > Dear Bill,
                > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                > Library in Greenville.
                > I realize that you are not within hollering
                > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                > copies for you.
                > Later, carol

                Dear Carol,
                In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                in North Carolina in 1781?

                Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                interest in Red Banks church.

                Bill Arnold

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                  paulabaker69@... writes:

                  > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                  >
                  > Paula Anne Baker
                  > paulabaker69@...

                  Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                  were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                  reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                  I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                  Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                  existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                  VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                  what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                  Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                  Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                  Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                  Bill Arnold