Re: [genpcncfir] Bill Arnold/Wanted you to see this page

  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:38:04 AM Central Standard Time,
      paulabaker69@... writes:

      > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

      Thanks for this.

      5. March 1832 - JACOB PARROTT vs JESSE CANADY

      Patent to THOS LEWIS in 1742
      THOM LEWIS sold to DAVID HEARTFIELDS - 100 acres in 26 January 1761 -
      DAVID HEARTSFIELD sold to JNO CANADY on 10 October 1766 (DAVID was father
      of JESSE) - JNO CANADY left land to JESSE CANADY by will ---

      PARROTT Claims land under same deed to HEARTSFIELD - D. HEARTSFIELD to
      WILLIAM ARNOLD - ARNOLD to MRS. PARROTT wife of Plff by will

      Run of the branch is disputed

      Listed on the back of the document were
      ? TAYLOR, CLAR. WESTBROOK, JNO KENNEDY SENR - deposition, LEML WESTBROOK,
      MOSES WESTBROOK - deposition, MAT CARR, BENJ PARROTT, THOS HOOD -
      deposition, J. ? CROOM, THO HOOD - deposition, JNO B. KENNEDY

      NOTE: Although the name WILLIAM ARNOLD was written ARNOLD, this would
      have been ARENDALL

      Apparently, this is not my William since mine was born in 1759: In his
      pension application dated 1819 he said he was 60 years old. But it proves that the
      name was in eastern North Carolina early on.

      Bill Arnold

    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
        paulabaker69@... writes:

        > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
        >
        > Paula Anne Baker

        Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
        some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
        were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
        concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
        and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
        so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
        Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
        am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
        1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
        and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
        have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
        have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

        Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
        coming.

        Thanks again,

        Bill

      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
          In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
          paulabaker69@... writes:

          > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
          > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
          > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
          > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
          >
          > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
          >
          > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
          > and died in April 1781.
          >
          > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
          > 1781.
          >
          > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
          >
          > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
          >
          > Paula Anne Baker

          Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
          1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
          In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
          Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
          the 30 years that included 1871.
          Bill

        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
            In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
            csinghworthington@... writes:

            > Dear Bill,
            > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
            > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
            > this information.
            > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
            > have from time to time been mentioned in different
            > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
            > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
            > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
            > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
            > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
            > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
            > believe, also has the quarterlies.
            > Later, Carol

            Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
            the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
            this search? -- Bill

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
              Dear Bill,
              The North Carolina Historical Society is the
              greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
              publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
              Library in Greenville.
              I realize that you are not within hollering
              distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
              topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
              copies for you.
              Later, carol

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                csinghworthington@... writes:

                > Dear Bill,
                > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                > Library in Greenville.
                > I realize that you are not within hollering
                > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                > copies for you.
                > Later, carol

                Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                  csinghworthington@... writes:

                  > Dear Bill,
                  > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                  > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                  > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                  > Library in Greenville.
                  > I realize that you are not within hollering
                  > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                  > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                  > copies for you.
                  > Later, carol

                  Dear Carol,
                  In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                  meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                  members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                  drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                  usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                  William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                  Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                  to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                  Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                  is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                  in North Carolina in 1781?

                  Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                  interest in Red Banks church.

                  Bill Arnold

                • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                    paulabaker69@... writes:

                    > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                    >
                    > Paula Anne Baker
                    > paulabaker69@...

                    Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                    were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                    reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                    I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                    Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                    existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                    VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                    what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                    Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                    Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                    Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                    Bill Arnold