Bill Arnold/Wanted you to see this page

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
      chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
      before us and showed us the way."

      Thomas Mann
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm

      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
            paulabaker69@... writes:

            > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

            Thanks for this.

            5. March 1832 - JACOB PARROTT vs JESSE CANADY

            Patent to THOS LEWIS in 1742
            THOM LEWIS sold to DAVID HEARTFIELDS - 100 acres in 26 January 1761 -
            DAVID HEARTSFIELD sold to JNO CANADY on 10 October 1766 (DAVID was father
            of JESSE) - JNO CANADY left land to JESSE CANADY by will ---

            PARROTT Claims land under same deed to HEARTSFIELD - D. HEARTSFIELD to
            WILLIAM ARNOLD - ARNOLD to MRS. PARROTT wife of Plff by will

            Run of the branch is disputed

            Listed on the back of the document were
            ? TAYLOR, CLAR. WESTBROOK, JNO KENNEDY SENR - deposition, LEML WESTBROOK,
            MOSES WESTBROOK - deposition, MAT CARR, BENJ PARROTT, THOS HOOD -
            deposition, J. ? CROOM, THO HOOD - deposition, JNO B. KENNEDY

            NOTE: Although the name WILLIAM ARNOLD was written ARNOLD, this would
            have been ARENDALL

            Apparently, this is not my William since mine was born in 1759: In his
            pension application dated 1819 he said he was 60 years old. But it proves that the
            name was in eastern North Carolina early on.

            Bill Arnold

          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
              In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
              paulabaker69@... writes:

              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
              >
              > Paula Anne Baker

              Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
              some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
              were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
              concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
              and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
              so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
              Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
              am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
              1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
              and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
              have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
              have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

              Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
              coming.

              Thanks again,

              Bill

            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
                paulabaker69@... writes:

                > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
                > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
                > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
                > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
                >
                > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
                >
                > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
                > and died in April 1781.
                >
                > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
                > 1781.
                >
                > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
                >
                > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
                >
                > Paula Anne Baker

                Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
                1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
                In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
                Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
                the 30 years that included 1871.
                Bill

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                  In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                  csinghworthington@... writes:

                  > Dear Bill,
                  > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
                  > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
                  > this information.
                  > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
                  > have from time to time been mentioned in different
                  > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
                  > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
                  > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
                  > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
                  > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
                  > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
                  > believe, also has the quarterlies.
                  > Later, Carol

                  Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
                  the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
                  this search? -- Bill

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                    Dear Bill,
                    The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                    greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                    publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                    Library in Greenville.
                    I realize that you are not within hollering
                    distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                    topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                    copies for you.
                    Later, carol

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                      In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                      csinghworthington@... writes:

                      > Dear Bill,
                      > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                      > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                      > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                      > Library in Greenville.
                      > I realize that you are not within hollering
                      > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                      > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                      > copies for you.
                      > Later, carol

                      Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

                    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                        csinghworthington@... writes:

                        > Dear Bill,
                        > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                        > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                        > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                        > Library in Greenville.
                        > I realize that you are not within hollering
                        > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                        > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                        > copies for you.
                        > Later, carol

                        Dear Carol,
                        In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                        meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                        members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                        drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                        usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                        William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                        Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                        to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                        Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                        is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                        in North Carolina in 1781?

                        Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                        interest in Red Banks church.

                        Bill Arnold

                      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                          paulabaker69@... writes:

                          > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                          >
                          > Paula Anne Baker
                          > paulabaker69@...

                          Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                          were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                          reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                          I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                          Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                          existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                          VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                          what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                          Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                          Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                          Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                          Bill Arnold