Miss Laura V. Cox

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
      Looking for more information on Miss Laura V. Cox

      A few things I know:

      — she taught at Winterville High School (Academy) ca 1907

      — was working at Oxford Orphanage Oxford, NC Jul 1907

      — received a card in May 1908 addressed to Wake Forest, NC, in care
      of F. O. Cox.
      (Is F. O. Cox Fountain Oscar, b. 1876?)

      — was at the University of Chicago in 1908

      Would like to know:

      her connection to the Cox family of Winterville and southern Pitt
      County.

      her relationship to Mr. John David "J. D." Cox and his wife Adelaide
      Smith Cox.

      any other details of her life.

      Thanks,
      Trish
    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
        A little more information on her.

        I did find this cemetery record in Mrs. St. Amand's Vol. 4, p. 87,
        under Ayden Cemetery:

        Laura Virginia, dau. of Cannon and Margaret H. Cox
        — born Nov. 29, 1872, died Feb 2, 194_.

        This is probably the same Miss Laura V. Cox.

        Any further help will be appreciated.

        Trish

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
          Dear Trish,
          Laura Virginia died February 2, 1941. Her mother
          was Margaret H. Whitford Cox. I cannot yet say for
          sure whether Margaret's maiden name was Whitford or
          whether she had been married before as had my
          grandmother Jennie Secession McGowan, whose maiden
          name some researchers had assumed was Anderson when
          she married Alfred Worthington. Her first husband was
          Charles R. Anderson. She had been widowed a number of
          years when she married my grandfather.
          Let me check this line of thought out and get back
          to you. I have some of my files with me today.
          Later, Carol

          --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
            Dear Trish,
            Margaret Whitford was the daughter of Lorenzo K.
            Whitford, b. 1823, and Cassandra Stephenson. Cannon
            Cox was the son of Daniel Cox and Mary.
            Children of Margaret Whitford, second wife, and
            Cannon Cox were: Albert Dow Cox 1870-20 Jan 1951; Mary
            Ann Cox 1871-1923, married William Jospeh Mumford d.
            1939; Ophelia Beulah, b. 1878, married Heber Hamilton.
            Laurie Virginia Cox never married, but you knew
            that already.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              Dear Trish,
              I do not find that Laurie Virginia Cox is related
              either to Fountain Oscar or to John David Cox.
              Cannon Cox and his first wife Nancy had a grandson
              Dock Harvey Cox b. 1900 who married Carrie Lee
              Hollowary, b. 1901, in 1919. They had a daughter
              Phyllis Ann Cox born Oct. 24, 1944 who died in 1997.
              She married a Sawyer, who is still living; several of
              their children are also living.
              Cannon Cox and Nancy had Susan J. Cox (1856) who
              married Samuel Manning and John C. Cox (1860) who
              married Dillie Ann Garris (b. 1862), married 5 March
              1883. Their only child was Dock Harvey Cox, b. 1900.
              He and his wife had several children. She's related
              some generations back to Amos Garris.
              John David Cox was born 1850, died 1930, which you
              probably knew already. His parents were Josiah Cox and
              Sarah Ann Tyson. John David Cox and Adelaide Smith had
              one child, Jamie Saunders Cox.
              I do not know if she ever married or even lived to
              be of marriagable age.
              I'll do some more digging and let you know what I
              find.

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                Carol,

                On Aug 2, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Carol Singh wrote:
                > Dear Trish,
                > Laura Virginia died February 2, 1941. Her mother
                > was Margaret H. Whitford Cox.

                Was this information from the Pitt County death records. I have not
                yet had a chance to look at many sources.

                Laura V. Cox or this particular Laura Cox, is not listed in Our
                Family Genealogy, which surprised me greatly.

                Trish

              • skipper4095386@cs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                  From the book "The Whitford Family of Eastern North Carolina" compiled by
                  Victor T. Jones, Jr., Janis Cannon, Vera Whitford and other members of the
                  Whitford Family Reunion (2000)...

                  Margaret Whitford was born May 21, 1844. She married Cannon Cox on December
                  2, 1865 in Craven County. She died on November 6, 1885 in Pitt County at the
                  age of 41. Children:
                  Susan J. Cox born circa 1857
                  John C. Cox born circa 1860
                  Albert D. Cox born August 1869
                  Mary A. C. Cox born circa 1872
                  Laura Cox born circa 1873
                  Margaret Cox born circa 1875
                  Ophelia Cox born circa 1878

                  Also from same book....
                  Sun Journal, September 8, 1936 "Whitford Family in Big Reunion at Askin
                  Sunday"

                  "Among the many branches of the family represented relatives from Virginia
                  for the first time. These were Laura V. Cox, her sister, Mrs. Hamilton, and the
                  latter's son and daughter, of Chase City, Va. They were joined by a brother
                  from Winterville, N.C.

                  The newcomers are descendants of the late Lorenzo D. Whitford, who lived some
                  years ago a few miles from New Bern."

                  Judy

                • Trish Worthington Cobb
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
                    This is what we have gathered so far on Miss Laura V. Cox:

                    � she was listed in the 1900 Census in Winterville, NC

                    # 183/183
                    Cox, John D., head, W, M, b. Jan 1856, age 44, md. 14 yrs., Surveyor
                    �, Addie S., wife, W, F, b. May 1862, age 38, md. 14 yrs, children 1
                    born, 1 living
                    �, Jama, W, M, b. Mar 1886, age 14, single, Farm labor
                    �, Lura, cousin, W, F, b. Nov. 1872, age 27, single, School Teacher

                    My note: John David and Addie Smith Cox lived on Church Street in
                    Winterville. Their old home is still there. The house was sold to
                    Mellie and Henry Dail and in 1946 my father bought it. I lived there
                    my first five years.

                    From correspondence preserved by the Cox family:

                    � she taught at Winterville High School (or Academy) ca 1907

                    � she boarded with Mr. & Mrs. J. D. Cox.
                    Note: John David Cox was a surveyor and travelled frequently
                    throughout North Carolina, presumably with his work.

                    � she was working at Oxford Orphanage Oxford, NC Jul 1907

                    � she received a card in May 1908 addressed to Wake Forest, NC, in
                    care of F. O. Cox.
                    (Is F. O. Cox Fountain Oscar, b. 1876?)
                    (assume she was either visiting or boarding there at the time)

                    � she was at the University of Chicago in 1908

                    � she received an appointed in 1910 (possibly to be an Episcopal
                    missionary)

                    � cemetery record in Mrs. St. Amand's Vol. 4, p. 87, under Ayden
                    Cemetery:

                    Laura Virginia, dau. of Cannon and Margaret H. Cox
                    born Nov. 29, 1872, died Feb 2, 194_.

                    � cemetery record from J. L. Jackson's Gravestone Transcriptions,
                    Pitt Co., NC, Part 2
                    http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/pitt/cemeteries/jacksonCems2.txt

                    Laura Virginia Cox, Nov. 29, 1872 - Feb. 2, 1941
                    Margaret H. Whitford Cox, May 21, 1844 - Nov. 6, 1885

                    --------------------------

                    Help received from Judy: skipper4095386@...

                    From the book "The Whitford Family of Eastern North Carolina"
                    compiled by
[...]

                    Help received from Carol:

[...]

                    --------------------------------

                    Now, I wish to find the family relationship of Miss Laura to John
                    David Cox or to his wife Adelaide "Addie" Smith Cox. Laura (Lura) is
                    listed as a cousin in the 1900 census, so I think it would be
                    through the Cox side of the family, although she could be a cousin to
                    Addie through the Smith side of the family.

                    Mrs. St. Amand did not list this Laura V. Cox in the volume of Our
                    Family Genealogy that she revised, which surprises me, but maybe she
                    could not prove the kinship.

                    Thanks for your help.
                    Trish

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Dear Trish,
                      Thanks! This information will help me with
                      tracking. I copied your e-mail so that I can follow it
                      as I go. I e-mail copies back to me so that your
                      information goes into my current file in my own
                      e-mail. That way I do not have to look it up by
                      scrolling back to the date. Of course, I also have
                      electronic folders, but I have so much in them that I
                      never use them for storing current research.

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > had one child,
                      > Jamie Saunders Cox.
                      >
                      > --------------------------------
                      >
                      > Now, I wish to find the family relationship of Miss
                      > Laura to John
                      > David Cox or to his wife Adelaide "Addie" Smith Cox.
                      > Laura (Lura) is
                      > listed as a cousin in the 1900 census, so I think it
                      > would be
                      > through the Cox side of the family, although she
                      > could be a cousin to
                      > Addie through the Smith side of the family.
                      >
                      > Mrs. St. Amand did not list this Laura V. Cox in the
                      > volume of Our
                      > Family Genealogy that she revised, which surprises
                      > me, but maybe she
                      > could not prove the kinship.
                      >
                      > Thanks for your help.
                      > Trish

                      > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for

                      === message truncated ===

                    • rootspuzzle
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                        These may fit.

                        1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
                        City > District 9
                        17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
                        Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
                        Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
                        Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC

                        1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
                        Creek > District 130

                        Cannon Cox 47
                        Margaret H. Cox 36
                        John C. Cox 20
                        Alberd D. Cox 10
                        Mary A. C. Cox 8
                        Laura Cox 7
                        Margaret Cox 5
                        Ophelia Cox 2
                        Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
                        Cyrena Cox 64 sister

                        1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
                        Ward 1 > District 46
                        Peabody Street 1026-163-194
                        William F Cardon 58
                        Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
                        Buchanan Cardon 25son
                        Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
                        Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law

                        Sue

                        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Thanks! This information has made my day!!
                          Later, Carol

                          === message truncated ===

                        • Trish Worthington Cobb
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                            Sue,

                            That looks like a perfect match. It also tells me that Miss Laura
                            maintained her profession, just as I suspected.
                            I'll bet this is where she was living at her death, in Chase City, VA.

                            Thanks so much for the help. This project is turning into a nice
                            group affair and I will give each of you credit.

                            Trish

                            On Aug 3, 2006, at 10:47 AM, rootspuzzle wrote:

                            > These may fit.
                            >
                            > 1930 United States Federal Census > Virginia > Mecklenburg > Chase
                            > City > District 9
                            > 17-17 HAMILTON, John D 28 md: 27 NC NC NC
                            > Pearl B.29 md: 28 wife Va Va Va
                            > Othelia B 52 d: Mother-H NC NC NC (Laura's sister?)
                            > Laura V COX 56 s: Aunt teacher -public school NC NC NC
                            >

                            > 1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Swift
                            > Creek > District 130
                            >
                            > Cannon Cox 47
                            > Margaret H. Cox 36
                            > John C. Cox 20
                            > Alberd D. Cox 10
                            > Mary A. C. Cox 8
                            > Laura Cox 7
                            > Margaret Cox 5
                            > Ophelia Cox 2
                            > Henry B. Whitford 18brother-in-law
                            > Cyrena Cox 64 sister
                            >
                            > 1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Durham > Durham
                            > Ward 1 > District 46
                            > Peabody Street 1026-163-194
                            > William F Cardon 58
                            > Margaret Cardon 49 (Laura's Sister?)
                            > Buchanan Cardon 25son
                            > Vera Cardon 19daug-in-law
                            > Laura Cox 45 sister-in-law
                            >
                            > Sue

                          • jvriggs
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                              Some additional information that may be interesting to you.

                              Laura Virginia Cox joined Antioch Baptist Church (now Winterville
                              Baptist Church)and was baptized in 1888. She received her BA degree
                              from Meredith College and was appointed by the Southern Baptist
                              Foreign Mission Board on June 10, 1910 to serve in Mexico. She
                              taught English in the Girl's Boarding School at Guayamas in the
                              State of Sonora. She was also responsible for administering the
                              physical education program of the school. The staff of the school
                              managed to keep the school operating, inspite of war in the country
                              until 1914, when the conditions were such that they were no longer
                              able to remain in the country. Miss Cox appears to have been able
                              to go back to her post by late 1915 and continued some level of work
                              unitl 1918. From 1918 through 1923, the archives of the Foreign
                              Mission Board indicate that she was on furlough. There is some
                              suggestion from minutes of the Women's Missionary Society minutes of
                              Winterville Baptist Church that she is on furlough due to health
                              concerns. The 1923 minutes of the Foreign Mission Board indicate
                              that Miss Cox has returned to work once more at the school in
                              Guaymas. The minutes also indicate that during her furlough, she
                              has been engaged in "school work" in Tennessee and North Carolina.
                              There are entries in the Women's Missionary Society minutes during
                              this time period that Miss Cox presented special missions programs
                              at Winterville Baptist Church. The 1925 minutes of the Foreign
                              Mission Board indicate that Miss Cox has been placed in charge of
                              the school at Guaymas. She continued in that capacity until 1927
                              when the minutes indicate that she is no longer able to serve in
                              that capacity. The Foreign Mission Board records show that Miss Cox
                              resigned from the mission field on July 1, 1927. Again, my best
                              recollection of what was told to me some years ago by older members
                              of the church is that she resigned due to health problems, however,
                              I have not found documentation to verify that.
                            • Trish Worthington Cobb
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                                Jesse,
                                Thank you. This is going to add greatly to the project. I hope I am
                                able to locate some of her siblings' descendants to try to get photos
                                and other information. If you come across anything else, send it my
                                way.
                                I haven't started scanning the post cards, yet, but hope to get to
                                that as soon as I can make the time.
                                Trish