Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Looking for Fernado Taylor and Fannie Gurganus

  • D. Cooper
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2 6:29 AM
      Please look in the Taylor / Manning Manuescript. I've put them in Lib's in Greenville,Bethel, Tarboro. Don Cooper.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 3:58 PM
        I'm sure that I have talked to you before. I probably have ask you this question before, but are you related to Rowan Cooper? He was my great grandfather. (Oct 11, 59-May 15, 1919). He was a commissioner of Winterville and manager of the The Cox Manufactoring Company that started Winterville. One thing I have noticed about the people of NC is that they don't toot their own horn. My mother hardly every spoke of her Grandfather, but he was very instrumental in starting Winterville. His direct line ended because neither of his two sons had children. But there were plenty of children from his daughters. Louise

      • Trish Worthington Cobb
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15 6:05 PM
          Louise,

          We have corresponded before. I am interested in gathering history of
          the early citizens of the town of Winterville, so anything you can
          supply on Rowan Cooper's life, his family and his contributions to
          the development of the town would be welcome information for the
          Winterville museum.

          Rowan is listed in the 1900 Census as Roan Cooper with wife, 1 son
          and 4 daughters:

          • 1900 Census, Pitt County, NC
          Winterville, Contentnea Twsp.
          enumerated 20 June 1900
          # 194/194
          Cooper, Roan, head, W, M, b. Oct 1859, age 40, md 18 yrs., Manufacture
          “ , Mary E., wife, W, F, b. Oct 1860, age 39, md 18 yrs., children 6
          born, 5 living
          “ , Elias, son, W, M, b. Oct 1883, age 16, Carpenter
          “ , Effie D., daughter, W, F, b. Oct 1888, age 11
          “ , Annie, daugther, W, F, b. Sept 1890, age 9
          “ , Dallis, daughter, W, F, b. June 1895, age 4
          “ , Martha, daughter, W, F, b. Oct 1893, age 6

          How was John Cooper related to Rowan?

          • 1900 Census, Pitt County, NC
          Winterville, Contentnea Twsp.
          enumerated 20 June 1900
          # 189, 189
          Cooper, John, head, W, M, b. Apr 1874, age 26, md. O years, Coffin maker
          “ , Ella C., wife, W, F, b. Jan 1883, age 17, md. 0 yrs., children 0
          born, 0 living

          John was probably making coffins for A. G. Cox Manufacturing Company.

          Trish

          On Aug 2, 2006, at 6:58 PM, Louise wrote:

          > I'm sure that I have talked to you before. I probably have ask
          > you this question before, but are you related to Rowan Cooper? He
          > was my great grandfather. (Oct 11, 59-May 15, 1919). He was a
          > commissioner of Winterville and manager of the The Cox
          > Manufactoring Company that started Winterville. One thing I have
          > noticed about the people of NC is that they don't toot their own
          > horn. My mother hardly every spoke of her Grandfather, but he was
          > very instrumental in starting Winterville. His direct line ended
          > because neither of his two sons had children. But there were plenty
          > of children from his daughters. Louise
        • Louise
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17 3:33 AM
            I would love to help you in any way that I can. He certainly should be in the history of Winterville.

            Rowan Cooper was my mother's grandfather. He and A.G. Cox were very good friends and he was very instrumental in starting Winterville. Below is the article from the Chronicles of Pitt Co. Vol. II. I wrote the article from information supplied by Connie Hardee (Rowan was also Connie's Grandfather). She knows a great deal about him. She has old newspaper articals written about Rowan and etc.

            He with two other fellow signed the papers to start Winterville. His home was the first/secound house built in Winterville. He was the manager of the Cox Manufactoring Co. He owned the small houses that until recently were on Railroad and Main Street. My mother and father meet each other because their families lived in those little houses. He built them for workers of the Manufactoring Co. that started Winterville. He started a store, sawmill and other things needed for the Company.

            Below is the article from the Chronicals of Pitt County. There is also a picture of his family in the book:

            Caption for picture: Alderman Redden Rowan Cooper and family. Standing from left to right are, Thurman Dallas, Effie Dora, Redden Rowan, Annie, and Martha Jane Cooper. Seated from left to right are: Mary Elizabeth Bowers, Cooper and her aunt, Sarah Ben Britton.
            Redden Rowan's great grandfather was William Cooper who was born 1763 in Martin County N. Carolina, and died January 1837 in Pitt County. He married Mary in 1784. She was born 1764, and died June 1799 in Pitt County. William served in the Revolutionary War.
            Rowan was named for his grandfather, Rowan Cooper who was born Abt. 1786 in Pitt County. He married Christian Moye February 08, 1827 in Pactolus, Pitt County. She was the daughter of Jesse Moye and Sarah Hines. She was born Abt. 1790 in Pitt County.
            His father was Henry Caswell Cooper who was born December 19, 1823 in Pitt County, and died in Pitt County. He married Nancy Highsmith in 1846 in Pitt County. She was the daughter of Daniel Highsmith and Elizabeth Stancill. She was born in 1818 in Pitt County, and died in Pitt County.
            Redden Rowan Cooper, the youngest of five children and was born October 11, 1859 in Pitt County, NC, and died May 15, 1919 in a Richmond, Virginia hospital. His siblings were John Dallas, Adrian Bink (md. Courtney), Felicia (md. William James Crisp), and Elizabeth (md. James Allen Meeks). He married Mary Elizabeth Bowers February 04, 1882 in Contentnea Township, Pitt Co. North Carolina. She was the daughter of Lewellen Bowers and Martha Jane Britton. She was born in 1861 in Pitt County, North Carolina and died 1918 in Pitt Co. NC. They had seven children
            Elias Ardanas (Dane) b. Oct. 24, 1884, d. March 4, 1952 never married.
            Effie Dora, b. October 20, 1888 d. December 25, 1947; md. Cleveland Herbert Vincent and had eleven children (Troy Clifton, Doris Rubelle, James Caswell, Roxie Mae, Mary Lois, Cleveland Herbert Jr., Eva Gay, Ollie Dera, Yvonnie Ruth, Ralph Kipling, Constance Arletta Vincent.
            Annie b. 1891, d. 1932 and md. Claude Lewellen Tripp and they had seven children (Sarah Elizabeth, Redding Rowan, Annie Lee, Claudius Lewellen Jr., Mavis, Linwood Elbert and Dallas). Little Claude and Dallas died as babies.
            Martha Jane b. October 08, 1892, d. October 12, 1942, md. William Franklin Forrest and they had nine children (Mary Amanda, Cora Inee, William Albert, Mary Amanda, Dainus Rowan, Ollie Franklin, Annie Laura, Jesse Vernon, Wallace Edward).
            Thurman Dallas Cooper b. April 12, 1900, d. October 05, 1945, and never married.

            Rowan Cooper was one of the first Aldermen for the Town of Winterville, he signed the 1897 Ordinance to incorporate.
            He became a member of Mohican Tribe No 56 of the Improved Order of Red Men in Winterville, NC in 1906. He was named a Charter Member when the Tribe was chartered on the Second Sun of the Flower Moon, GSD of 414, which translates to May 2, 1915. A number of our relatives were members.
            A. G. Cox came to a wooded area to start a company making cotton seed planters. The railroad ran through the woods at this point. Trees were cut and homes were built for the many people who came to work in the factory. My great grandfather, Rowan Cooper, came with his little family and worked as the superintendent. He hired a teacher to teach his children. He seemed to do whatever needed to be done. He owned a number of small houses near the factory on Cooper and Railroad Streets in Winterville. He owned a store and he and Mr. Braxton owned a sawmill near the factory.
            Both boys and girls in the family were educated. The girls were also taught to be ladies and the boys learned much from their father.
            Rowan's older son, Dane, helped to run the store when he was 24. He later went away to the Kings Business College in Raleigh, NC. For many years Dane was the bookkeeper for the A. G. Cox Manufacturing Company.
            The younger son was called Dallas by his friends. He was 17 years younger than Dane. He had a job working at a Cotton gin mill. He was still in his teens when he got his hand caught in a piece of machinery at the mill and it was mangled badly. He had to have it amputated at the wrist. B. T. Cox was his doctor. That didn't stop him. He learned to make furniture and members of the family still proudly display "a piece" that was made by Uncle Dallas. He also worked as a machinist and an auto mechanic. My mother said that he would come to visit us when we lived in Virginia on the farm. He drove and old T Model Ford. It would shake and rattle. If he had any trouble with it, he would say, "Just give me a hammer and case knife and I can fix any thing that goes wrong with it."
            Information from Louise Champion, Connie Hardee, Wertie Mae Brown, Faye Nichols and Jerry Turnipseed.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17 12:00 PM
              Trish,
              This may explain their relationship - nephew.

              Daily Reflector Index 1904:
              A. Cooper of Roanoke Rapids visited son, J.R. Cooper
              and brother Rowan Cooper D.R. 17 February 1904
              Marcia

              wrote:

              > Louise,
              >
              > How was John Cooper related to Rowan?
              >
              > Trish

            • Louise
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17 2:03 PM
                You are right about that. There were two Johns. Connie has done more research on the Cooper family than I have. She says:
                Rowan’s brothers were Adrain Bink Cooper and John Dallas Cooper. John Dallas Cooper (1848) was Rowan’s brother who died in Civil War at about 19. John R. Cooper (1873) was Adrain’s son and therefore Rowan's nephew.
                Sorry, I'll have to watch more closely.

                Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...> wrote: Trish,
                This may explain their relationship - nephew.

                Daily Reflector Index 1904:
                A. Cooper of Roanoke Rapids visited son, J.R. Cooper
                and brother Rowan Cooper D.R. 17 February 1904
                Marcia

                --- Trish Worthington Cobb
                wrote:

                > Louise,
                >
                > How was John Cooper related to Rowan?
                >
                > Trish

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Trish Worthington Cobb
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 17 10:15 PM
                  Louise,
                  Thank you for sending this. I had not looked in Chronicles II for
                  Rowan.
                  Trish

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 17 10:16 PM
                    Marcia,