Yes, NC Militia was at Guilford in N. Greene's own words

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
      http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
      chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
      before us and showed us the way."

      Thomas Mann
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
        The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--

        "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
        Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
        which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
        Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
        being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
        troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
        retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
        Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
        though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
        was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
        General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
        has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
        only a mistake in understanding orders."

      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
          In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
          paulabaker69@... writes:

          > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
          > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
          > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
          > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
          >
          > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
          >
          > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
          > and died in April 1781.
          >
          > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
          > 1781.
          >
          > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
          >
          > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
          >
          > Paula Anne Baker
          > paulabaker69@...
          > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
          > Greene County NC
          > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

          Thanks for the help. The Arnold genealogy maven who published in 1960 stated
          (without substantiation) that our Revolutionary soldier ancestor, William
          Arnold, lived in Henry County, VA, in 1781 when he joined the army in North
          Carolina, and that he moved to Stokes County, NC, in time for the 1790 census.
          Land records in Stokes confirm this. She could not trace him from the time he
          sold his Stokes land in 1793 to when he moved to Washington County, GA, in
          1816.

          I have become convinced that our Rev. Sol. William Arnold who made his
          pension application in Washington County is the same one who owned land in Pitt
          County 1803 to 1807 and whose son, Ambrose, was in the Pitt County militia in
          1813. The family also includes, James, Thomas, John, and Henry, all of whom are
          in Pitt County in 1800 and 1810.

          In Hugh Rankin's book, The North Carolina Continentals, Lawrence Babits'
          Forward dealing with 1781 states: "Following Nathanael Greene's anger with
          alleged militia failures [at Guilford], the North Carolina Line was reestablished
          with what became three small regiments. Given adequate training and led by
          experienced, committed, incredibly brave officers, these men performed
          exceptionally well at Eutaw Springs." My William Arnold was wounded at Eutaw Springs!

          And on page 322, dealing with events in the spring of 1781, Rankin says: "It
          was statute law and not the persuasive powers of recruiting officers that
          solved the manpower problem for the North Carolina Continentals. As explained to
          Washington by Abner Nash, 'The State is now busily imployed in drafting their
          regulars for our four Batalions, and as the militia by a late law are
          subjected in case they desert their Colours in time of action, & run away, to the
          condition of Continental Soldiers during the war, we expect to derive some good
          for the Evil they did in running away from the Enemy in action of the 15th at
          Guilford.' By the first of April those who had so hurriedly absented
          themselves from the field at Guiford and who could be found, were being conscripted as
          Continental soldiers, but their term of service was usually for twelve months
          rather than for the duration of the war." My William's term of "enlistment"
          was for only one year! He says he "enlisted" on March 15, 1781 (the date of
          the battle at Guilford Courthouse), and was discharged May 1, 1782. North
          Carolina records show a later date of enlistment.

          It sure makes more sense for my William to have fought in the Revolution from
          a home in North Carolina than from Virginia!

          Your comments would be greatly appreciated. What is "Seawell's?" Where
          could I find more information about this militia unit? I have got to find some
          way to determine whether my William left Stokes in mid-1790s and moved to Pitt
          or whether he was in Pitt all along. If he were Thomas Arnold's son in Pitt,
          all the existing genealogy records behind 1800 are wrong!

          Thanks again,

          Bill Arnold
          Birmingham, Alabama

        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
            In a message dated 8/1/2006 9:57:02 AM Central Standard Time,
            paulabaker69@... writes:

            > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
            >
            > Paula Anne Baker

            Thanks. ............... Bill

          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
              Carol -- Thank you. I'll follow up with the on-line for the Historical
              Society. I'm a little too far away to access the libraries.
              Bill

            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                In a message dated 8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                paulabaker69@... writes:
                > RE: [genpcncfir] NC Militia at Guilford and Pitt Militia
                > Date:8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time
                > From:paulabaker69@...
                > Reply-to:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                > To:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                > Received from Internet:
                >

                > The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--
                >
                > "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
                > Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
                >
                > which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
                >
                > Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
                > being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
                > troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
                > retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
                > Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
                > though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
                > was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
                > General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
                >
                > has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
                > only a mistake in understanding orders."
                >
                > Paula Anne Baker

                Thanks for this, too. I'll put it with my other Revolutionary information.

                Bill

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                  paulabaker69@... writes:

                  > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
                  >
                  > Paula Anne Baker
                  > paulabaker69@...
                  > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
                  > Greene County NC

                  Thanks for that. I'll keep a copy with my GCH file. ......................
                  Bill

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                          paulabaker69@... writes:

                          > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

                          Thanks for this.

                          5. March 1832 - JACOB PARROTT vs JESSE CANADY

                          Patent to THOS LEWIS in 1742
                          THOM LEWIS sold to DAVID HEARTFIELDS - 100 acres in 26 January 1761 -
                          DAVID HEARTSFIELD sold to JNO CANADY on 10 October 1766 (DAVID was father
                          of JESSE) - JNO CANADY left land to JESSE CANADY by will ---

                          PARROTT Claims land under same deed to HEARTSFIELD - D. HEARTSFIELD to
                          WILLIAM ARNOLD - ARNOLD to MRS. PARROTT wife of Plff by will

                          Run of the branch is disputed

                          Listed on the back of the document were
                          ? TAYLOR, CLAR. WESTBROOK, JNO KENNEDY SENR - deposition, LEML WESTBROOK,
                          MOSES WESTBROOK - deposition, MAT CARR, BENJ PARROTT, THOS HOOD -
                          deposition, J. ? CROOM, THO HOOD - deposition, JNO B. KENNEDY

                          NOTE: Although the name WILLIAM ARNOLD was written ARNOLD, this would
                          have been ARENDALL

                          Apparently, this is not my William since mine was born in 1759: In his
                          pension application dated 1819 he said he was 60 years old. But it proves that the
                          name was in eastern North Carolina early on.

                          Bill Arnold

                        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                            In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
                            paulabaker69@... writes:

                            > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                            >
                            > Paula Anne Baker

                            Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
                            some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
                            were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
                            concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
                            and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
                            so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
                            Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
                            am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
                            1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
                            and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
                            have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
                            have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

                            Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
                            coming.

                            Thanks again,

                            Bill

                          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                              paulabaker69@... writes:

                              > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
                              > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
                              > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
                              > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
                              >
                              > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
                              >
                              > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
                              > and died in April 1781.
                              >
                              > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
                              > 1781.
                              >
                              > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
                              >
                              > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
                              >
                              > Paula Anne Baker

                              Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
                              1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
                              In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
                              Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
                              the 30 years that included 1871.
                              Bill

                            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                                csinghworthington@... writes:

                                > Dear Bill,
                                > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
                                > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
                                > this information.
                                > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
                                > have from time to time been mentioned in different
                                > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
                                > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
                                > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
                                > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
                                > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
                                > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
                                > believe, also has the quarterlies.
                                > Later, Carol

                                Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
                                the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
                                this search? -- Bill

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                  Dear Bill,
                                  The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                  greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                  publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                  Library in Greenville.
                                  I realize that you are not within hollering
                                  distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                  topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                  copies for you.
                                  Later, carol

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                    In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                                    csinghworthington@... writes:

                                    > Dear Bill,
                                    > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                    > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                    > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                    > Library in Greenville.
                                    > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                    > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                    > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                    > copies for you.
                                    > Later, carol

                                    Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

                                  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                                      csinghworthington@... writes:

                                      > Dear Bill,
                                      > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                      > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                      > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                      > Library in Greenville.
                                      > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                      > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                      > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                      > copies for you.
                                      > Later, carol

                                      Dear Carol,
                                      In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                                      meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                                      members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                                      drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                                      usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                                      William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                                      Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                                      to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                                      Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                                      is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                                      in North Carolina in 1781?

                                      Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                                      interest in Red Banks church.

                                      Bill Arnold

                                    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                                        paulabaker69@... writes:

                                        > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                                        >
                                        > Paula Anne Baker
                                        > paulabaker69@...

                                        Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                                        were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                                        reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                                        I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                                        Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                                        existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                                        VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                                        what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                                        Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                                        Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                                        Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                                        Bill Arnold