RE: [genpcncfir] NC Militia

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
      In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
      in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
      Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
      Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?

      p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.

      231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
      and died in April 1781.

      231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
      1781.

      310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.

      419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC

      "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
      chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
      before us and showed us the way."

      Thomas Mann

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
          The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--

          "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
          Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
          which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
          Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
          being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
          troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
          retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
          Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
          though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
          was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
          General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
          has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
          only a mistake in understanding orders."

        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
            In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
            paulabaker69@... writes:

            > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
            > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
            > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
            > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
            >
            > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
            >
            > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
            > and died in April 1781.
            >
            > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
            > 1781.
            >
            > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
            >
            > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
            >
            > Paula Anne Baker
            > paulabaker69@...
            > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
            > Greene County NC
            > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

            Thanks for the help. The Arnold genealogy maven who published in 1960 stated
            (without substantiation) that our Revolutionary soldier ancestor, William
            Arnold, lived in Henry County, VA, in 1781 when he joined the army in North
            Carolina, and that he moved to Stokes County, NC, in time for the 1790 census.
            Land records in Stokes confirm this. She could not trace him from the time he
            sold his Stokes land in 1793 to when he moved to Washington County, GA, in
            1816.

            I have become convinced that our Rev. Sol. William Arnold who made his
            pension application in Washington County is the same one who owned land in Pitt
            County 1803 to 1807 and whose son, Ambrose, was in the Pitt County militia in
            1813. The family also includes, James, Thomas, John, and Henry, all of whom are
            in Pitt County in 1800 and 1810.

            In Hugh Rankin's book, The North Carolina Continentals, Lawrence Babits'
            Forward dealing with 1781 states: "Following Nathanael Greene's anger with
            alleged militia failures [at Guilford], the North Carolina Line was reestablished
            with what became three small regiments. Given adequate training and led by
            experienced, committed, incredibly brave officers, these men performed
            exceptionally well at Eutaw Springs." My William Arnold was wounded at Eutaw Springs!

            And on page 322, dealing with events in the spring of 1781, Rankin says: "It
            was statute law and not the persuasive powers of recruiting officers that
            solved the manpower problem for the North Carolina Continentals. As explained to
            Washington by Abner Nash, 'The State is now busily imployed in drafting their
            regulars for our four Batalions, and as the militia by a late law are
            subjected in case they desert their Colours in time of action, & run away, to the
            condition of Continental Soldiers during the war, we expect to derive some good
            for the Evil they did in running away from the Enemy in action of the 15th at
            Guilford.' By the first of April those who had so hurriedly absented
            themselves from the field at Guiford and who could be found, were being conscripted as
            Continental soldiers, but their term of service was usually for twelve months
            rather than for the duration of the war." My William's term of "enlistment"
            was for only one year! He says he "enlisted" on March 15, 1781 (the date of
            the battle at Guilford Courthouse), and was discharged May 1, 1782. North
            Carolina records show a later date of enlistment.

            It sure makes more sense for my William to have fought in the Revolution from
            a home in North Carolina than from Virginia!

            Your comments would be greatly appreciated. What is "Seawell's?" Where
            could I find more information about this militia unit? I have got to find some
            way to determine whether my William left Stokes in mid-1790s and moved to Pitt
            or whether he was in Pitt all along. If he were Thomas Arnold's son in Pitt,
            all the existing genealogy records behind 1800 are wrong!

            Thanks again,

            Bill Arnold
            Birmingham, Alabama

          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
              In a message dated 8/1/2006 9:57:02 AM Central Standard Time,
              paulabaker69@... writes:

              > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
              >
              > Paula Anne Baker

              Thanks. ............... Bill

            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                Carol -- Thank you. I'll follow up with the on-line for the Historical
                Society. I'm a little too far away to access the libraries.
                Bill

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                  In a message dated 8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                  paulabaker69@... writes:
                  > RE: [genpcncfir] NC Militia at Guilford and Pitt Militia
                  > Date:8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time
                  > From:paulabaker69@...
                  > Reply-to:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                  > To:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                  > Received from Internet:
                  >

                  > The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--
                  >
                  > "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
                  > Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
                  >
                  > which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
                  >
                  > Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
                  > being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
                  > troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
                  > retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
                  > Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
                  > though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
                  > was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
                  > General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
                  >
                  > has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
                  > only a mistake in understanding orders."
                  >
                  > Paula Anne Baker

                  Thanks for this, too. I'll put it with my other Revolutionary information.

                  Bill

                • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                    paulabaker69@... writes:

                    > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
                    >
                    > Paula Anne Baker
                    > paulabaker69@...
                    > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
                    > Greene County NC

                    Thanks for that. I'll keep a copy with my GCH file. ......................
                    Bill

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                            paulabaker69@... writes:

                            > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

                            Thanks for this.

                            5. March 1832 - JACOB PARROTT vs JESSE CANADY

                            Patent to THOS LEWIS in 1742
                            THOM LEWIS sold to DAVID HEARTFIELDS - 100 acres in 26 January 1761 -
                            DAVID HEARTSFIELD sold to JNO CANADY on 10 October 1766 (DAVID was father
                            of JESSE) - JNO CANADY left land to JESSE CANADY by will ---

                            PARROTT Claims land under same deed to HEARTSFIELD - D. HEARTSFIELD to
                            WILLIAM ARNOLD - ARNOLD to MRS. PARROTT wife of Plff by will

                            Run of the branch is disputed

                            Listed on the back of the document were
                            ? TAYLOR, CLAR. WESTBROOK, JNO KENNEDY SENR - deposition, LEML WESTBROOK,
                            MOSES WESTBROOK - deposition, MAT CARR, BENJ PARROTT, THOS HOOD -
                            deposition, J. ? CROOM, THO HOOD - deposition, JNO B. KENNEDY

                            NOTE: Although the name WILLIAM ARNOLD was written ARNOLD, this would
                            have been ARENDALL

                            Apparently, this is not my William since mine was born in 1759: In his
                            pension application dated 1819 he said he was 60 years old. But it proves that the
                            name was in eastern North Carolina early on.

                            Bill Arnold

                          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                              In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
                              paulabaker69@... writes:

                              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                              >
                              > Paula Anne Baker

                              Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
                              some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
                              were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
                              concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
                              and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
                              so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
                              Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
                              am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
                              1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
                              and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
                              have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
                              have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

                              Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
                              coming.

                              Thanks again,

                              Bill

                            • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                paulabaker69@... writes:

                                > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
                                > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
                                > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
                                > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
                                >
                                > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
                                >
                                > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
                                > and died in April 1781.
                                >
                                > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
                                > 1781.
                                >
                                > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
                                >
                                > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
                                >
                                > Paula Anne Baker

                                Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
                                1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
                                In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
                                Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
                                the 30 years that included 1871.
                                Bill

                              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                  In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                                  csinghworthington@... writes:

                                  > Dear Bill,
                                  > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
                                  > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
                                  > this information.
                                  > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
                                  > have from time to time been mentioned in different
                                  > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
                                  > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
                                  > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
                                  > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
                                  > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
                                  > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
                                  > believe, also has the quarterlies.
                                  > Later, Carol

                                  Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
                                  the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
                                  this search? -- Bill

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                    Dear Bill,
                                    The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                    greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                    publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                    Library in Greenville.
                                    I realize that you are not within hollering
                                    distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                    topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                    copies for you.
                                    Later, carol

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                      In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                                      csinghworthington@... writes:

                                      > Dear Bill,
                                      > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                      > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                      > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                      > Library in Greenville.
                                      > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                      > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                      > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                      > copies for you.
                                      > Later, carol

                                      Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

                                    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                                        csinghworthington@... writes:

                                        > Dear Bill,
                                        > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                        > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                        > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                        > Library in Greenville.
                                        > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                        > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                        > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                        > copies for you.
                                        > Later, carol

                                        Dear Carol,
                                        In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                                        meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                                        members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                                        drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                                        usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                                        William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                                        Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                                        to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                                        Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                                        is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                                        in North Carolina in 1781?

                                        Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                                        interest in Red Banks church.

                                        Bill Arnold

                                      • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                                          paulabaker69@... writes:

                                          > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                                          >
                                          > Paula Anne Baker
                                          > paulabaker69@...

                                          Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                                          were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                                          reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                                          I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                                          Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                                          existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                                          VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                                          what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                                          Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                                          Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                                          Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                                          Bill Arnold