NC Militia

  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31 2:15 PM
      On March 15, 1781, North Carolina Militia units fought in the Battle of
      Guilford Courthouse. Does anybody know, or know how to find out, whether or not
      this included a militia unit from Pitt County? This is the date my
      gggggrandfather William Arnold says that he enlisted in the army.

      Thanks for your help.

      Bill Arnold
      Birmingham, Alabama

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 31 3:49 PM
        Dear Bill,
        I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
        has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
        this information.
        In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
        have from time to time been mentioned in different
        issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
        Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
        on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
        These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
        Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
        Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
        believe, also has the quarterlies.
        Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
          In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
          in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
          Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
          Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?

          p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.

          231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
          and died in April 1781.

          231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
          1781.

          310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.

          419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
          chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
          before us and showed us the way."

          Thomas Mann

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
              The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--

              "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
              Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
              which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
              Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
              being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
              troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
              retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
              Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
              though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
              was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
              General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
              has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
              only a mistake in understanding orders."

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:51:24 AM Central Standard Time,
                paulabaker69@... writes:

                > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
                > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
                > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
                > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
                >
                > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
                >
                > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
                > and died in April 1781.
                >
                > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
                > 1781.
                >
                > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
                >
                > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
                >
                > Paula Anne Baker
                > paulabaker69@...
                > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
                > Greene County NC
                > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA

                Thanks for the help. The Arnold genealogy maven who published in 1960 stated
                (without substantiation) that our Revolutionary soldier ancestor, William
                Arnold, lived in Henry County, VA, in 1781 when he joined the army in North
                Carolina, and that he moved to Stokes County, NC, in time for the 1790 census.
                Land records in Stokes confirm this. She could not trace him from the time he
                sold his Stokes land in 1793 to when he moved to Washington County, GA, in
                1816.

                I have become convinced that our Rev. Sol. William Arnold who made his
                pension application in Washington County is the same one who owned land in Pitt
                County 1803 to 1807 and whose son, Ambrose, was in the Pitt County militia in
                1813. The family also includes, James, Thomas, John, and Henry, all of whom are
                in Pitt County in 1800 and 1810.

                In Hugh Rankin's book, The North Carolina Continentals, Lawrence Babits'
                Forward dealing with 1781 states: "Following Nathanael Greene's anger with
                alleged militia failures [at Guilford], the North Carolina Line was reestablished
                with what became three small regiments. Given adequate training and led by
                experienced, committed, incredibly brave officers, these men performed
                exceptionally well at Eutaw Springs." My William Arnold was wounded at Eutaw Springs!

                And on page 322, dealing with events in the spring of 1781, Rankin says: "It
                was statute law and not the persuasive powers of recruiting officers that
                solved the manpower problem for the North Carolina Continentals. As explained to
                Washington by Abner Nash, 'The State is now busily imployed in drafting their
                regulars for our four Batalions, and as the militia by a late law are
                subjected in case they desert their Colours in time of action, & run away, to the
                condition of Continental Soldiers during the war, we expect to derive some good
                for the Evil they did in running away from the Enemy in action of the 15th at
                Guilford.' By the first of April those who had so hurriedly absented
                themselves from the field at Guiford and who could be found, were being conscripted as
                Continental soldiers, but their term of service was usually for twelve months
                rather than for the duration of the war." My William's term of "enlistment"
                was for only one year! He says he "enlisted" on March 15, 1781 (the date of
                the battle at Guilford Courthouse), and was discharged May 1, 1782. North
                Carolina records show a later date of enlistment.

                It sure makes more sense for my William to have fought in the Revolution from
                a home in North Carolina than from Virginia!

                Your comments would be greatly appreciated. What is "Seawell's?" Where
                could I find more information about this militia unit? I have got to find some
                way to determine whether my William left Stokes in mid-1790s and moved to Pitt
                or whether he was in Pitt all along. If he were Thomas Arnold's son in Pitt,
                all the existing genealogy records behind 1800 are wrong!

                Thanks again,

                Bill Arnold
                Birmingham, Alabama

              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                  In a message dated 8/1/2006 9:57:02 AM Central Standard Time,
                  paulabaker69@... writes:

                  > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
                  >
                  > Paula Anne Baker

                  Thanks. ............... Bill

                • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Carol -- Thank you. I'll follow up with the on-line for the Historical
                    Society. I'm a little too far away to access the libraries.
                    Bill

                  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 1, 2006
                      In a message dated 8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time,
                      paulabaker69@... writes:
                      > RE: [genpcncfir] NC Militia at Guilford and Pitt Militia
                      > Date:8/1/2006 10:10:14 AM Central Standard Time
                      > From:paulabaker69@...
                      > Reply-to:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                      > To:genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                      > Received from Internet:
                      >

                      > The following is an excerpt from Sketches of Pitt County--
                      >
                      > "The year 1781 did not dawn bright for the cause of liberty in North
                      > Carolina, and strong efforts were being made to raise men and money, both of
                      >
                      > which were so badly needed. Men from Pitt County were in the armies in South
                      >
                      > Carolina, in Virginia, in Pennsylvania, and elsewhere. North Carolina was
                      > being invaded by a victorious army and only a few of its militia, with some
                      > troops from some other States, could be at its front. It was a pursuit and
                      > retreat until General Greene faced about and turned back to fight Lord
                      > Cornwallis. On the 15th of March they met at Guilford Court-House, and
                      > though General Greene withdrew from the field at the end of the fight, it
                      > was practically an American victory. Pitt County had many militia under
                      > General Butler in that fight. Dr. Robert Williams was a surgeon there. There
                      >
                      > has been much written about how the militia run on that occasion. It was
                      > only a mistake in understanding orders."
                      >
                      > Paula Anne Baker

                      Thanks for this, too. I'll put it with my other Revolutionary information.

                      Bill

                    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                        paulabaker69@... writes:

                        > http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~familyinformation/transcripts/gch.html
                        >
                        > Paula Anne Baker
                        > paulabaker69@...
                        > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County NC and
                        > Greene County NC

                        Thanks for that. I'll keep a copy with my GCH file. ......................
                        Bill

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                paulabaker69@... writes:

                                > http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/lenoir/documents/jhbryan.txt

                                Thanks for this.

                                5. March 1832 - JACOB PARROTT vs JESSE CANADY

                                Patent to THOS LEWIS in 1742
                                THOM LEWIS sold to DAVID HEARTFIELDS - 100 acres in 26 January 1761 -
                                DAVID HEARTSFIELD sold to JNO CANADY on 10 October 1766 (DAVID was father
                                of JESSE) - JNO CANADY left land to JESSE CANADY by will ---

                                PARROTT Claims land under same deed to HEARTSFIELD - D. HEARTSFIELD to
                                WILLIAM ARNOLD - ARNOLD to MRS. PARROTT wife of Plff by will

                                Run of the branch is disputed

                                Listed on the back of the document were
                                ? TAYLOR, CLAR. WESTBROOK, JNO KENNEDY SENR - deposition, LEML WESTBROOK,
                                MOSES WESTBROOK - deposition, MAT CARR, BENJ PARROTT, THOS HOOD -
                                deposition, J. ? CROOM, THO HOOD - deposition, JNO B. KENNEDY

                                NOTE: Although the name WILLIAM ARNOLD was written ARNOLD, this would
                                have been ARENDALL

                                Apparently, this is not my William since mine was born in 1759: In his
                                pension application dated 1819 he said he was 60 years old. But it proves that the
                                name was in eastern North Carolina early on.

                                Bill Arnold

                              • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                  In a message dated 8/2/2006 11:39:11 AM Central Standard Time,
                                  paulabaker69@... writes:

                                  > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                                  >
                                  > Paula Anne Baker

                                  Thanks also for this. I found the Arnold Family Association of the South
                                  some time last year and have been through all 14 years of the publications. Some
                                  were not on line, but I found those in the Birmingham Public Library. They
                                  concluded that William Arnold's father was Henry Arnold of Stokes County, NC,
                                  and before that Henry County, Virginia, just because Mrs. Lorena Spillers said
                                  so in her book. I have now found Henry and his father, William, in
                                  Goochland/Cumbeland, VA, in 1742 and later. The only problem with that is that I now
                                  am coming to believe after all these years (since the book was published in
                                  1960) that my William Arnolds's father could well be Thomas Arnold who was alive
                                  and well in Pitt County in the 1780s. However, the same Thomas could well
                                  have been William's brother instead of father. In the latter case there should
                                  have been three Williams instead of one in the 1810 census of Pitt.

                                  Confusion has really gotten hold of me right now! Please keep the messages
                                  coming.

                                  Thanks again,

                                  Bill

                                • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                    paulabaker69@... writes:

                                    > In 1790, William Bethel was living in Rockingham. In 1790 Arthur Forbes was
                                    > in Pitt County. There were 4 James Hunters in 1790 in NC. In 1800 John
                                    > Oldham lived in Chatham. I guess you'd have to concentrate on Arthur
                                    > Forbes. Also, if the NC did participate, wouldn't it have been Seawell's?
                                    >
                                    > p.29] 101. Bethel, William, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford, Mch. 15, 1781.
                                    >
                                    > 231. Forbes, Arthur, Col. N. C. Militia; wounded at Guilford Mch. 15, 1781;
                                    > and died in April 1781.
                                    >
                                    > 231. Forbes, John, Capt. N. C. Militia in 1781; killed at Guilford Mch. 15,
                                    > 1781.
                                    >
                                    > 310. Hunter, James, Maj. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781.
                                    >
                                    > 419. Oldham, John, Capt. N. C. Militia at Guilford in March 1781. (D. 1831.)
                                    >
                                    > Paula Anne Baker

                                    Paula -- I just noticed that if Arthur Forbes, NC Militia, died in April
                                    1781, he is not the same one who is in Pitt County in 1790! Perhaps father/son.
                                    In both the 1762 and 1763 lists of Taxables in Pitt County there were Joseph
                                    Forbes and Charles Forbes, Constable. There was a Forbes family there for
                                    the 30 years that included 1871.
                                    Bill

                                  • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      In a message dated 7/31/2006 5:52:46 PM Central Standard Time,
                                      csinghworthington@... writes:

                                      > Dear Bill,
                                      > I would bet the North Carolina Historical Society
                                      > has the records. The Joyner Library should also have
                                      > this information.
                                      > In addition, Revolutionary War pensioners' names
                                      > have from time to time been mentioned in different
                                      > issues of the Pitt County Family Researchers'
                                      > Genealogical Quarterlies. The contents are available
                                      > on line at http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
                                      > These quarterlies are housed at both the Shepherd
                                      > Library in Greenville and at Joyner Library at East
                                      > Carolina University. Pitt Technical College, I
                                      > believe, also has the quarterlies.
                                      > Later, Carol

                                      Carol -- I sure have enjoyed the NCPCFR site. Do you know whether or not
                                      the North Carolina Historical Society has a web site that would be fruitful in
                                      this search? -- Bill

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                        Dear Bill,
                                        The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                        greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                        publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                        Library in Greenville.
                                        I realize that you are not within hollering
                                        distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                        topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                        copies for you.
                                        Later, carol

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 8, 2006
                                          In a message dated 8/8/2006 2:34:27 PM Central Standard Time,
                                          csinghworthington@... writes:

                                          > Dear Bill,
                                          > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                          > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                          > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                          > Library in Greenville.
                                          > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                          > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                          > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                          > copies for you.
                                          > Later, carol

                                          Bless your heart. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Bill

                                        • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 9, 2006
                                            csinghworthington@... writes:

                                            > Dear Bill,
                                            > The North Carolina Historical Society is the
                                            > greatest thing since the finding of the Titanic. Its
                                            > publications are housed at both Shepperd and Joyner
                                            > Library in Greenville.
                                            > I realize that you are not within hollering
                                            > distance of either. Therefore, if you send me your
                                            > topics/families, I will see what I can find and make
                                            > copies for you.
                                            > Later, carol

                                            Dear Carol,
                                            In a book I read recently it was said that when North Carolina was trying to
                                            meet its quota of soldiers in the Continental Line in spring of 1781, militia
                                            members who ran from the Battle at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781, were
                                            drafted into the Continental Army for a period of one year instead of the
                                            usual three years if you enlisted. In his pension application my ancestor,
                                            William Arnold, said that he served for one year in the North Carolina Continental
                                            Line beginning in March 15, 1781, and was discharged on May 1, 1782. I want
                                            to know if there was a militia unit from Pitt County and if it fought at the
                                            Battle of Guilford Courthouse and if there was a William Arnold in it. If not,
                                            is there a way to find out if there was a William Arnold in any militia unit
                                            in North Carolina in 1781?

                                            Thanks for your interest and your help. More in another email about my
                                            interest in Red Banks church.

                                            Bill Arnold

                                          • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 28, 2006
                                              paulabaker69@... writes:

                                              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/afas/topicalindex3.htm
                                              >
                                              > Paula Anne Baker
                                              > paulabaker69@...

                                              Paula -- I don't know whether I ever responded to you about this file. We
                                              were out of town a good part of August and September. I'm just now able to
                                              reread some of the email I saved over the last 2 months.

                                              I discovered AFAS about a year ago and have recently established contact with
                                              Ann Hennings who was the secretary of the organzation for its 14 years of
                                              existance. She has been a great help to me. As of today she is retyping Volume
                                              VI so that it can be added to the internet site you referred me to. Guess
                                              what: Volume VI is the North Carolina issue! This Tuesday I copied it from the
                                              Bham library surname files. It will be a real treasure for North Carolina
                                              Arnolds. I just haven't had time to digest it all.

                                              Thanks again for your interest and your help.

                                              Bill Arnold