Re: [genpcncfir] FWB

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
      Dear Linda,
      That has been my experience too. Some did have the
      meetings, but some didn't either. I think, whatever
      might have been the case when these churches were
      established, that churches were free to some extent to
      adapt their practices to the needs of their
      membership.
      I found the same true in both North Carolina and in
      Virginia. Some made a to-do over the quarterly
      meetings, as if they were an important watermark in
      the annual calendar, and some never even metioned
      them.
      Here in Virginia, the smaller churches were more
      likely to have them than the large, urban churches.
      To turn the topic to another aspect of these
      churches, in my rambles through the countryside here,
      I came across a lovely primitive Baptist Church
      perched on a hill overlooking an interstate. From the
      angle at which I was viewing it as I was driving, it
      was possible to imagine it a pioneer church of another
      century. At that angle, the view of the interstate was
      occluded, and one saw only the church in the midst of
      the meadow, a rectangular, white, one-story wood
      structure surrounded on three sides by a stand of pine
      trees. Since I never pass it during services, it is
      always quiet.
      Later, Carol