Widow's Claim for Pension - Elizabeth Crawford

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
      Carol,
      Here is another that may or may not be related to your/our
      Crawfords. I think it is, but as before, I've not had time to digest
      the impact on my research.

      Again a summary and not verbatim: State of N.C., County of Pitt. To
      the Auditor of the State of NC:, we certify. . . . Elizabeth
      Crawford, widow of Ivy Crawford . . . who enlisted in Co. C, 44th Reg
      NC Troops on or about the 15 of March 1862 and who lost his _____ on
      or about the 1 day of May 1862. That (s)he is now a bona fide
      resident of Pitt in this state; that (s)he does not own either in her
      own right property of the assessed value of more than $500; that she
      is not in the receipt of a salary or fees arising from any office of
      the County, state or _____, to the amount of $300 annually and that
      she is not receiving aid from any other sources from the state of NC.

      Dated/approved 5 of August 1885.

      page 2 (summarized):

      State of NC, County of Pitt, 6th day of July 1885:
      H.A. Blow, Deputy CSC certifies: Elizabeth Crawford, widow of Ivy
      Crawford, age 60 years, resident of Greenville. Ivey Crawford who
      enlisted in Co. C, 44th Regiment NC State Troops on or about 15 day
      of March, 1862, and that while at home on furlough in the State of
      NC, on or about the 1st day of May 1862 died of measles.

      Additional certification:
      Also personally appeared before me, Allen Crawford who resides at
      Greenville, says he is acquainted with Elizabeth Crawford . . . sworn
      and subscribed on 7 July 1885 by Allen Crawford.

      I hope this helps.

      Karen Nethercutt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
        Dear Karen,
        Now you really tie things together. Ivy Crawford
        was the son of Siddy Crawford. This James Braxton,
        husband of Martha Crawford, is actually my great,
        great grandfather instead of great,great uncle.
        James Braxton and Martha Crawford were the parents
        of James Elias Braxton who married Sarah Sutton. This
        couple James Elias and Sarah Sutton were the parents
        of Elijah B. Braxton, my grandfather, and Elias
        "Goude" Braxton who married Nettie Sutton. Julie
        Braxton Forbes, my great aunt, was the sister of my
        grandfather and of my great uncle Elias "Goude"
        Braxton.
        So if our current James "Jim" Braxton descends
        from this line, he is my cousin. His maternal line
        will clarify the degree of kinship.
        Our "Jim" may prove to be closer kin to your
        husband than to me.
        Of Martha Crawford, I believe that she had
        following the death of James gone to live with her
        daughter Penny Braxton Harrington. I do not know if
        Penny's husband also had an untimely death, but I do
        know that they had a large family and that in the
        years immediately following their marriage, they had
        also made their home with Penny's parents.
        Later, Carol

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
          Karen & Carol,
          Elizabeth Vincent Crawford would have been Allen
          Crawford's daughter-in-law, right? When he "says he is
          acquainted with Elizabeth Crawford", it sounds so
          formal.

          Martha Jane Crawford Braxton and Elizabeth Vincent
          Crawford are sister-in-laws. Their husbands were
          brother-in-laws, probably friends and probably in the
          same military unit.

          There is a Civil War database that can be searched.
          I saw it just over 3 years ago, when it was free.
          Good luck, Marcia

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
            Marcia,

            You are correct. Martha Jane Crawford and Ivey Crawford were both
            children of Allen and Siddie (Sidney) Crawford. Martha Jane married
            James Braxton and Ivey married Elizabeth "Betsy" Vincent. So these
            two pension applications sort of link the Braxtons, Vincents,
            Crawfords, and Forbes together, which we had probably already figured
            out. I also believe they all lived in the area of Greenville that is
            the Hastings Ford/Greenville Boulevard area down to 14th Street
            intersection, so they were also all neighbors.

            The part "says he is acquainted with Elizabeth Crawford" is worded
            that way because is it a fill-in-the-blank certification form. In
            other words the form reads _____, who resides at _____, says he is
            acquainted with _____, the applicant for pension . . . . and so on.

            (If this posts twice I apologize. My fingers were running faster
            than my brain a few minutes ago.)

            Karen Nethercutt

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2006
              Dear Karen,
              Ivy Crawford was the young brother of Martha
              Crawford. Allen was their father, Siddy their mother.
              Census records show them living next to James Braxton
              and Martha. Ivy was much younger than Martha.
              Do any of you know if these Crawfords were also
              related to Eleanor Frances Crawford who married
              Matthew D. Dail?
              Dear Marcia,
              Thank you for giving me information that I did not
              know. This is great!
              Thanks, Carol

              wrote:

              > Karen & Carol,
              > Elizabeth Vincent Crawford would have been Allen
              > Crawford's daughter-in-law, right? When he "says he
              > is
              > acquainted with Elizabeth Crawford", it sounds so
              > formal.
              >
              > Martha Jane Crawford Braxton and Elizabeth Vincent
              > Crawford are sister-in-laws. Their husbands were
              > brother-in-laws, probably friends and probably in
              > the
              > same military unit.
              >
              > There is a Civil War database that can be searched.
              > I saw it just over 3 years ago, when it was free.
              > Good luck, Marcia
              >

              > --- Karen <karen@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Carol,
              > > Here is another that may or may not be related to
              > > your/our
              > > Crawfords. I think it is, but as before, I've not
              > > had time to digest
              > > the impact on my research.
              > >
              > > Again a summary and not verbatim: State of N.C.,
              > > County of Pitt. To
              > > the Auditor of the State of NC:, we certify. . . .
              > > Elizabeth
              > > Crawford, widow of Ivy Crawford . . . who enlisted
              > > in Co. C, 44th Reg
              > > NC Troops on or about the 15 of March 1862 and who
              > > lost his _____ on
              > > or about the 1 day of May 1862. That (s)he is now
              > > bona fide
              > > resident of Pitt in this state; that (s)he does
              > not
              > > own either in her
              > > own right property of the assessed value of more
              > > than $500; that she
              > > is not in the receipt of a salary or fees arising
              > > from any office of
              > > the County, state or _____, to the amount of $300
              > > annually and that
              > > she is not receiving aid from any other sources
              > from
              > > the state of NC.
              > >
              > > Dated/approved 5 of August 1885.
              > >
              > > page 2 (summarized):
              > >
              > > State of NC, County of Pitt, 6th day of July 1885:
              > > H.A. Blow, Deputy CSC certifies: Elizabeth
              > Crawford,
              > > widow of Ivy
              > > Crawford, age 60 years, resident of Greenville.
              > > Ivey Crawford who
              > > enlisted in Co. C, 44th Regiment NC State Troops
              > on
              > > or about 15 day
              > > of March, 1862, and that while at home on furlough
              > > in the State of
              > > NC, on or about the 1st day of May 1862 died of
              > > measles.
              > >
              > > Additional certification:
              > > Also personally appeared before me, Allen Crawford
              > > who resides at
              > > Greenville, says he is acquainted with Elizabeth
              > > Crawford . . . sworn
              > > and subscribed on 7 July 1885 by Allen Crawford.
              > >
              > > I hope this helps.
              > >
              > > Karen Nethercutt

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Karen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 14, 2006
                Carol,
                The only other things I know about this line is as follows (and this
                is strictly from my FTM files and NOT documented):
                Ivy and Betsy Crawford had three children:
                Sadie, b.1858, married Alfred Cannon
                Ivy Marion, b. 1860
                Louisa, b. 1863, married Henry Bryan Barber, buried at Reedy Branch.

                I have the following notes on Louisa Barber:
                --listed on the 1910 Pitt Co census, age 48, widow, 7 children, 4
                living, living w/son Joseph M, daughter Dasie E.
                --listed on the 1930 census as living in Winterville w/daughter and
                son-in-law, William and Hattie Dail

                Louisa Crawford married Henry Bryan Barber, b. 1852, died 1896, son
                of Abraham Barber and Elizabeth Ann Sutton. Elizabeth Ann Sutton was
                dau of William Henry SUtton and Martha (Mary) Frances Nobles.

                On the Crawford side I have that ALlen is the son of James Crawford,
                b. abt 1762 and SOphia Unknown. James and Sophia had four sons,
                Allen b. abt 1802, Benjamin b. abt 1807, Noah b. abt 1797, and Calvin
                b. abt 1811.

                Please note that this information is from my notes and undocumented
                (except for the census info.) so I am subject to correction.

                I hope this helps.

                Karen Nethercutt

                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
                  Dear Karen,
                  Allen Crawford was the father of Martha Crawford
                  who married James Braxton. He and wife Siddy lived
                  next to James Braxton and Martha according to Census
                  records.
                  Ivy Crawford married Elizabeth Vincent. Two of my
                  McGowan great uncles married Vincent sisters from the
                  Chicod area of Pitt County: Fanny and Victoria Vincent
                  married brothers Henry Craven McGowan and Marcellus
                  McGowan.
                  I do not know if they were related to Elizabeth. I
                  have not had time to check for a marriage record for
                  Ivy Crawford and Elizabeth.

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
                    Dear Karen,
                    Ivy Crawford, was of course, the younger brother of
                    Martha Crawford as well. I think he was about 12 years
                    old when she married James Braxton.
                    I am hoping that I have not repeated myself, but
                    looking back over some of our exchanges, I was
                    concerned that I might have overlooked some points.
                    Whenever I get additional information on one of the
                    families I am researching, I go back through my files
                    and make sure that I provide up-dates to everyone who
                    has written me or the group on the topic.
                    Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I plan to go
                    through Census records to see if there is anything I
                    may have overlooked in them. Next, I plan to review
                    land records for any kinship information they might
                    provide along with the land transactions.
                    Another source I have only touched on is pension
                    applications like the one you sent me. These also show
                    kinship ties that might not now be available any where
                    else.

                    Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                    Access over 1 million songs.
                    http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited