Alonza Shirley--Rufus Shirley

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
      Somehow my data has a blatant mistake. I have no idea how it happened but I discovered yesterday that I have the children of Alonza Shirley and Appie Gay born about the same time as Alonza was born. Alonza was the son of Rufus Shirley. They lived in Greene Co. I suspect that they were the siblings of Alonza instead of his children. The people involved were:
      Doris Shirley, Gary Petrie Shirley, born 1874; Ada Shirley, born 1882; and Anna Shirley born 1884.
      I don't have a date of birth for Alonza. He was married in 1905.
      Can anyone verify that these people were indeed the children of Rufus. If they were not his children do you any idea who they belong to.
      Evelyn

    • rootspuzzle
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
        See if this helps............

        1900 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Speights
        Bridge > District 22
        94-99 Octa_us SHIRLEY 26 log hauler Mar 1874 md1
        Anna E 17 wife July 1882 md1 ch0-liv0
        Lou J 64 mother Oct 1835wd ch 1-liv 1?
        95-100 George SHIRLEY 50 farmer Feb 1850 md 23
        Loucinda 45 wife Jan 1855 md 23 ch8-liv 7
        M?onroe 23 son Mar 1877 s
        Emma? 18 daug May 1882 s
        Henry 17 son Mar 1883 s
        Mary 14 daug ? 1886 s
        Martha 10 daug Feb 1890s
        Alonza 8 son Jun 1891 s
        George 5 son Oct 1894 s
        12-14 John SHIRLEY 35 farmer Feb 1865 md: 2
        Emma 26 wife May 1874 md:2 ch1-liv1
        Maude L 1 daug Dec 1898
        47-52 William SHIRLEY 28 farmer Apr 1872 md:2
        Ella 21 wife July 1878 md:2 ch1-liv1
        Richard 7/12 son Oct 1899
        Joe SHIRLEY 24 brother Oct 1876 s
        Marcellus WOODARD 20 boarder Mar 1880 s

        1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Carrs >
        District 23
        60-60 Alonzo SHIRLEY 45 md
        Appie 34 wife md
        Rosa 13 daug
        Lela 12 daug
        Floyd 11 son
        Bertha 9 daug
        Lila May 7 daug
        Dorthy 5 daug
        Mabel 4 7/12 daug
        Ida 2 4/12 daug
        Augusta 1/12 son
        Susan 68 mother wd

        Sue
        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@...> wrote:

        > Somehow my data has a blatant mistake. I have no idea how it
        happened but I discovered yesterday that I have the children of Alonza
        Shirley and Appie Gay born about the same time as Alonza was born.
        Alonza was the son of Rufus Shirley. They lived in Greene Co. I
        suspect that they were the siblings of Alonza instead of his children.
        The people involved were:
        > Doris Shirley, Gary Petrie Shirley, born 1874; Ada Shirley, born
        1882; and Anna Shirley born 1884.
        > I don't have a date of birth for Alonza. He was married in 1905.
        > Can anyone verify that these people were indeed the children of
        Rufus. If they were not his children do you any idea who they belong
        to.
        > Evelyn

      • Evelyn Hendricks
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
          This does provide information that the children I have listed for Alonza are not the correct ones. Thank you for sending it. It also shows me that this is the correct person since his mother was Mary Susan Gay. I did not know that she was called Susan instead of Mary. Also gives me an idea of when her husband--at least that he was dead by 1820.
          Thank you for taking the time to look it up.
          Evelyn
          1900 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Speights
          Bridge > District 22
          94-99 Octa_us SHIRLEY 26 log hauler Mar 1874 md1
          Anna E 17 wife July 1882 md1 ch0-liv0
          Lou J 64 mother Oct 1835wd ch 1-liv 1?
          95-100 George SHIRLEY 50 farmer Feb 1850 md 23
          Loucinda 45 wife Jan 1855 md 23 ch8-liv 7
          M?onroe 23 son Mar 1877 s
          Emma? 18 daug May 1882 s
          Henry 17 son Mar 1883 s
          Mary 14 daug ? 1886 s
          Martha 10 daug Feb 1890s
          Alonza 8 son Jun 1891 s
          George 5 son Oct 1894 s
          12-14 John SHIRLEY 35 farmer Feb 1865 md: 2
          Emma 26 wife May 1874 md:2 ch1-liv1
          Maude L 1 daug Dec 1898
          47-52 William SHIRLEY 28 farmer Apr 1872 md:2
          Ella 21 wife July 1878 md:2 ch1-liv1
          Richard 7/12 son Oct 1899
          Joe SHIRLEY 24 brother Oct 1876 s
          Marcellus WOODARD 20 boarder Mar 1880 s

          1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Carrs >
          District 23
          60-60 Alonzo SHIRLEY 45 md
          Appie 34 wife md
          Rosa 13 daug
          Lela 12 daug
          Floyd 11 son
          Bertha 9 daug
          Lila May 7 daug
          Dorthy 5 daug
          Mabel 4 7/12 daug
          Ida 2 4/12 daug
          Augusta 1/12 son
          Susan 68 mother wd

          Sue
          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@...> wrote:

          > Somehow my data has a blatant mistake. I have no idea how it
          happened but I discovered yesterday that I have the children of Alonza
          Shirley and Appie Gay born about the same time as Alonza was born.
          Alonza was the son of Rufus Shirley. They lived in Greene Co. I
          suspect that they were the siblings of Alonza instead of his children.
          The people involved were:
          > Doris Shirley, Gary Petrie Shirley, born 1874; Ada Shirley, born
          1882; and Anna Shirley born 1884.
          > I don't have a date of birth for Alonza. He was married in 1905.
          > Can anyone verify that these people were indeed the children of
          Rufus. If they were not his children do you any idea who they belong
          to.
          > Evelyn

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
            Evelyn,
            I haven't researched this family, so I do not have a
            lot of info. The 1880 census doesn't have Gary [b:11
            Oct 1874] in the Rufus's family unit, but I couldn't
            find him anywhere else either [I do not have his death
            date, perhaps it is before 1880].

            1880 Census for Spreights Bridge, Greene, NC
            Household:
            Rufus SHERLY Self M Male W 30 NC Farmer
            Susan SHERLY Wife M Female W 28 NC HouseKeeping
            Alonzo SHERLY Son S Male W 5 NC
            George SHERLY Son S Male W 1 NC

            Just an aside, I have a friend, whose maiden name is
            Shirley - distantly related to infamous Belle Starr.
            Marcia

            --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:

            > Somehow my data has a blatant mistake. I have no
            > idea how it happened but I discovered yesterday that
            > I have the children of Alonza Shirley and Appie Gay
            > born about the same time as Alonza was born. Alonza
            > was the son of Rufus Shirley. They lived in Greene
            > Co. I suspect that they were the siblings of Alonza
            > instead of his children. The people involved were:
            > Doris Shirley, Gary Petrie Shirley, born 1874; Ada
            > Shirley, born 1882; and Anna Shirley born 1884.
            > I don't have a date of birth for Alonza. He was
            > married in 1905.
            > Can anyone verify that these people were indeed the
            > children of Rufus. If they were not his children do
            > you any idea who they belong to.
            > Evelyn

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
              Thank you for this information. I think it will prove to be useful.
              Evelyn

              I haven't researched this family, so I do not have a
              lot of info. The 1880 census doesn't have Gary [b:11
              Oct 1874] in the Rufus's family unit, but I couldn't
              find him anywhere else either [I do not have his death
              date, perhaps it is before 1880].

              1880 Census for Spreights Bridge, Greene, NC
              Household:
              Rufus SHERLY Self M Male W 30 NC Farmer
              Susan SHERLY Wife M Female W 28 NC HouseKeeping
              Alonzo SHERLY Son S Male W 5 NC
              George SHERLY Son S Male W 1 NC

              Just an aside, I have a friend, whose maiden name is
              Shirley - distantly related to infamous Belle Starr.
              Marcia

              --- Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:

              > Somehow my data has a blatant mistake. I have no
              > idea how it happened but I discovered yesterday that
              > I have the children of Alonza Shirley and Appie Gay
              > born about the same time as Alonza was born. Alonza
              > was the son of Rufus Shirley. They lived in Greene
              > Co. I suspect that they were the siblings of Alonza
              > instead of his children. The people involved were:
              > Doris Shirley, Gary Petrie Shirley, born 1874; Ada
              > Shirley, born 1882; and Anna Shirley born 1884.
              > I don't have a date of birth for Alonza. He was
              > married in 1905.
              > Can anyone verify that these people were indeed the
              > children of Rufus. If they were not his children do
              > you any idea who they belong to.
              > Evelyn

            • rootspuzzle
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                Thelma Lee Shirley 3 Apr 1927 Female Greene Alonzo Shirley Appie Gay
                Mary Susan Shirley 3 Sep 1918 Female Greene Rufus C Shirley Lila
                Smith
                Mary Blair Shirley 24 Sep 1932 Female Greene John F Shirley Bertha
                Batts Walston

                North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996
                Name: Alonzo Shirley Death Date: 13 Apr 1940 Death County: Greene
                Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 65 Birth Date: abt. 1875
                Race: W
                Name: Rufus Shirley Death Date: 25 Nov 1914 Death County: Greene
                Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 64 Birth Date: abt. 1850
                Race: W
                Name: Rufus E Shirley Death Date: 2 Feb 1954 Death State: North
                Carolina Death Age: 47 Birth Date: abt. 1907

                Name: Jane Shirley Death Date: 31 May 1915 Death County: Greene
                Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 79 Birth Date: abt. 1836
                Race: W

                wrote:

                > Thank you for this information. I think it will prove to be
                useful.
                > Evelyn

              • rootspuzzle
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                  Jim Varnell Family Tree
                  1 RUFUS SHIRLEY b: 20 JUL 1850 d: 24 NOV 1914
                  + MARY SUSAN GAY b: 3 JAN 1852 d: 16 OCT 1929
                  2 ALONZA SHIRLEY d: 13 APR 1940
                  2 ADA SHIRLEY d: 18 JUN 1943
                  + DICKIE GAY
                  2 FRED SHIRLEY
                  + ORA MCLAWHORN
                  2 PETE SHIRLEY
                  + LILAH SMITH
                  2 MARION SHIRLEY
                  2 GEORGE SHIRLEY b: 24 MAR 1879
                  2 ANNA SHIRLEY b: 11 MAY 1884 d: 14 JUN 1885
                  2 AUGUSTUS SHIRLEY b: 25 JAN 1892 d: 21 JUL 1915

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "rootspuzzle" <rootspuzzle@...>
                  wrote:

                  > North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                  > Thelma Lee Shirley 3 Apr 1927 Female Greene Alonzo Shirley Appie
                  Gay
                  > Mary Susan Shirley 3 Sep 1918 Female Greene Rufus C Shirley Lila
                  > Smith
                  > Mary Blair Shirley 24 Sep 1932 Female Greene John F Shirley Bertha
                  > Batts Walston
                  >
                  > North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996
                  > Name: Alonzo Shirley Death Date: 13 Apr 1940 Death County: Greene
                  > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 65 Birth Date: abt. 1875
                  > Race: W
                  > Name: Rufus Shirley Death Date: 25 Nov 1914 Death County: Greene
                  > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 64 Birth Date: abt. 1850
                  > Race: W
                  > Name: Rufus E Shirley Death Date: 2 Feb 1954 Death State: North
                  > Carolina Death Age: 47 Birth Date: abt. 1907
                  >
                  > Name: Jane Shirley Death Date: 31 May 1915 Death County: Greene
                  > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 79 Birth Date: abt. 1836
                  > Race: W
                  >

                  > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for this information. I think it will prove to be
                  > useful.
                  > > Evelyn

                • rootspuzzle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                    1930 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Carrs
                    > District 2

                    238-238
                    Alonza SHIRLEY 55
                    Appie 44 wife
                    Rosa 23 daug
                    Floyd 21 son
                    Bertha 19 daug
                    Lila May 17 daug
                    Mabel 15 daug
                    Ruby 13 daug
                    Ralph 12 son
                    Raymond 7 son
                    Da ___ 5 daug
                    wrote:

                    > North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                    > Thelma Lee Shirley 3 Apr 1927 Female Greene Alonzo Shirley Appie
                    Gay
                    > Mary Susan Shirley 3 Sep 1918 Female Greene Rufus C Shirley Lila
                    > Smith
                    > Mary Blair Shirley 24 Sep 1932 Female Greene John F Shirley Bertha
                    > Batts Walston
                    >
                    > North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996
                    > Name: Alonzo Shirley Death Date: 13 Apr 1940 Death County: Greene
                    > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 65 Birth Date: abt. 1875
                    > Race: W
                    > Name: Rufus Shirley Death Date: 25 Nov 1914 Death County: Greene
                    > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 64 Birth Date: abt. 1850
                    > Race: W
                    > Name: Rufus E Shirley Death Date: 2 Feb 1954 Death State: North
                    > Carolina Death Age: 47 Birth Date: abt. 1907
                    >
                    > Name: Jane Shirley Death Date: 31 May 1915 Death County: Greene
                    > Death State: North Carolina Death Age: 79 Birth Date: abt. 1836
                    > Race: W
                    >

                    > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Evelyn Hendricks" <rebh@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for this information. I think it will prove to be
                    > useful.
                    > > Evelyn

                  • rootspuzzle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                      North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                      Ada May Gay 25 Nov 1915 Female Greene R D H Gay Ada Shirley
                      Floyd Lee Gay 9 Nov 1911 Male Greene R D H Gay Ada Shirley

                      North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996
                      Name: Ada M Gay Death Date: 18 Jun 1943 Death County: Greene Death
                      State: North Carolina Death Age: 60 Birth Date: abt. 1883 Race: W

                    • billgaylearnold@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2006
                        In a message dated 6/9/2006 4:22:56 PM Central Standard Time,
                        rootspuzzle@... writes:

                        > North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000

                        This just grabbed me! Is there really a North Carolina birth index beginning
                        as early as 1800? I know that the following sons of James and Elizabeth
                        Arnold were born in North Carolina, but I don't know where:
                        Arnett Arnold 1805
                        Harrell Arnold 1807
                        James Arnold, Jr. 1812
                        Can someone help me or aim me toward the resource?

                        Bill Arnold, Birmingham, Alabama