Re: [genpcncfir] Multiple Theophilus Dail

  • dmbohall29@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hi Marcia,

      Theophilus Dail, born 10 Sep 1852, died 9 June 1938, buried in Jackson
      Cemetery, married Margaret Vandiford, daughter of Noah Jackson Vandiford and
      Winifred Elks, His father is Matthew Dail and Dutry Slaughter. I have Matthew's
      parents were Paul Dail and Olive Manning.

      Theophiuls and Margaret had a son named Theophilus who married Bessie O.
      Byrd.

      My McLawhorn family descends from Warren McLawhorn and 1st wife Alice Baker,
      2nd wife Martha Meeks Manning.

      Doris

      In a message dated 6/5/2006 7:03:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      marcia_mclawhorn@... writes:

      Hi Doris,

      My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
      descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
      of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
      Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].

      I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
      Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].

      Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I sure
      hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
      confused him with one of the others. Can someone help?

      My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
      1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
      [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
      nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail (b:Apr
      1892) married to Bessie [unknown].

      3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
      unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
      'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
      Sermons [1858-1898]

      5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75, mother
      Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
      Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.

      Marcia

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
        Doris,
        Thank you for the help.

        My research has not connected your McLawhorn family
        with mine. You go back to Adam & Elizabeth McGlohon
        [b: abt 1746] and mine goes back to Jeremiah
        McGlauhon, who died bef Apr 1759 in Loosing Swamp
        (Bertie), NC area.

        Warren J. McGlawhon [01 Dec 1813 - 08 Jun 1899]
        I have three wives:
        Mary - no children
        Alice 'Allie' Baker - 11 children
        Martha Alice L. Meeks [1827 - 10 Aug 1894] - 2 sons
        a son of Waverly Corbett 'Stray' McLawhorn lives
        here in Chicagoland area.

      • dmbohall29@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
          Marcia,

          I did not know that Warren J. McGlawhorn had three wives, I only have Alice
          and Martha I will have to go back and check this out.

          I know that Waverly Corbertt McLawhorn's son Sherman lived in Chicago but I
          though that he had died in Jul 1987. I went to school with Sherman and his
          brother Lester.

          Doris

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
            Dear Marcia,
            If I am not mistaken, the parents of my Theophilus
            Dail are Noah Vandiford and Winifred Elks. Like you
            and like the rest of us related to one or the other of
            the Theophilus Dails, the lineage has been a difficult
            row to hoe. Family research really makes a person
            think more seriously about naming his children for
            someone else, doesn't it?
            Looking at the male name Howard in my immediate
            family, many might wonder about the parentage of my
            brother, my nephew, and my son.
            Why did Mama name a son Howard? She named him for
            her beloved older brother of course. But this brother
            was a young man at the time my brother was born. What
            if he had married and named his own son for himself?
            Wouldn't that have been confusing?
            Yes it would have been. However, our uncle never
            married. End of that complication.
            Then my own brother named a son Timothy Howard. One
            might assume that my brother chose Howard because he
            was Howard. The person would be mistaken. Timothy was
            named in honor of our uncle.
            My son Morgan Howard was also named in honor of
            our uncle, not for my brother.
            Still, I meant no slight of my brother, for truth
            to tell, if I still have a hero on this earth, it is
            this brother.
            Nor did I mean to slight my son's dad. "Howard"
            just happened to be the name of his beloved
            grandfather, so the name delighted both my husband's
            family and my own.
            So much for names. Later, Carol

            --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Doris,
            >
            > My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
            > descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
            > of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
            > Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].
            >
            > I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
            > Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].
            >
            > Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I
            > sure
            > hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
            > confused him with one of the others. Can someone
            > help?
            >
            > My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
            > 1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
            > [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
            > nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail
            > (b:Apr
            > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
            >
            > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
            > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
            > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
            > Sermons [1858-1898]
            >
            > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
            > mother
            > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
            > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
            >
            > Marcia
            >
            > --- dmbohall29@... wrote:
            > > Carol,
            > > I see that you descends from Matthew D. Dail. I
            > > descend from Theophilus (Offie) Dail who married
            > > Margaret Vandiford, my great-grandparents.
            > > Theophilus was a brother of Matthew.
            > > My grandparents were Alonzo Dail who married Mary
            > > Elizabeth (Lizzie) McLawhorn.
            > > I live in Midlothian, VA and would love to compare
            >
            > > notes with you.
            > > Doris Bohall

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
              No - I mistyped.

              Sherman Waverly 'Waverly' McLawhorn, born in NC,
              worked for the railroad. He married and lived the rest
              of his life in Chicago. He died 8 Jul 1987.

              His son, Sherman Waverly McLawhorn, born in Chicago,
              owns a computer store. He is married with a new family
              consisting of two [when I last spoke to him] preschool
              age children.

              Marcia

            • dmbohall29@aol.com

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Just to add to the confusion. I believe the first Theophilus Dail in North Carolina - my direct ancestor - was the brother of my other ggggrandfather, James Dail. They are both my 3rd greats and their children are listed as cousins in the bibles. Yes - I am descended on my grandfather's side by 2 Dail brothers - One, Theo, was the g. grandfather of my grandfather's mother, Minnie Eliza Williams and the other, James Dail was the g.grandfather of my grandfather's father, Elbert Melton Dail. Both James and Theophilus were born in the late 1790's in Dobbs/Greene county. I am too busy to get really involved at this time - and - I have NO WRITTEN PROOF other than family history given in 1949 when my aunt (age 95)was doing paperwork for the DAR.
                  Have fun!

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Doris,
                  >
                  > My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
                  > descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
                  > of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
                  > Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].
                  >
                  > I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
                  > Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].
                  >
                  > Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I
                  > sure
                  > hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
                  > confused him with one of the others. Can someone
                  > help?
                  >
                  > My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
                  > 1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
                  > [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
                  > nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail
                  > (b:Apr
                  > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
                  >
                  > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
                  > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
                  > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
                  > Sermons [1858-1898]
                  >
                  > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
                  > mother
                  > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
                  > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
                  >
                  > Marcia
                  >
                  > --- dmbohall29@... wrote:
                  > > Carol,
                  > > I see that you descends from Matthew D. Dail. I
                  > > descend from Theophilus (Offie) Dail who married
                  > > Margaret Vandiford, my great-grandparents.
                  > > Theophilus was a brother of Matthew.
                  > > My grandparents were Alonzo Dail who married Mary
                  > > Elizabeth (Lizzie) McLawhorn.
                  > > I live in Midlothian, VA and would love to compare
                  >
                  > > notes with you.
                  > > Doris Bohall

                  Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY, DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS, McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Dear Linda,
                    Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have
                    subtracted from the confusion! We have identical
                    situations in our two families--only the surnames are
                    different.
                    I was not clear on our ancestor Elbert Melton Dail,
                    and you have clarified that for me. My grandmother
                    Braxton, daddy's mother, married Braxton brothers.
                    After her first husband Elijah B. Braxton died, she
                    married his younger brother Elias "Goude" Braxton.
                    From childhood, I had know that Elbert, my father's
                    name, had come from his mother's Dail line. Do you
                    know for whom Elbert Melton Dail was named?
                    When I was growing up, Mama got perturbed when one of
                    daddy's relatives also named Elbert Braxton got our
                    mail and we got his.
                    I also found it interesting going through the
                    generations of the Braxton family to find that one was
                    Howard W. Braxton. My younger brother has the same
                    first name and middle initial. However, I admit that I
                    do not know what was the middle name of the other
                    Howard W. Braxton.
                    Our brother's "W." stands for Mama's maiden name.
                    Both my brothers have as their middle names a surname
                    of Mama's: Worthington and McGowan. We girls did not.
                    Later, Carol

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                      Correction: "I had known." There's something evil in
                      this keyboard today. Maybe the Times-Dispatch article
                      on 666 and numerology has something to it after all.
                      Oops! Carol

                      === message truncated ===

                    • lowboy1963
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 9, 2006
                        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Sammy Pierce" <samurai369@...>
                        wrote:

                        > William Edgar (1871-1953) was the brother of my great-grandmother,
                        Virginia
                        > Catherine Worthington (Wetherington) (1870-1939) who married Levi
                        Pierce
                        > (1869-1946). William married first Lula Dail (1875-1907) and had
                        6
                        > children; Annie, Raymond C., Hester, Heber, Jacqueline "Jacky"
                        Ann, and
                        > Dixon Exum. He married second Maggie Smith (1892-1964) and three
                        children;
                        > Sallie Bet, Velma, and Doris M.
                        > William Edgar and Kate were children of Robert "Robin"
                        Wetherington and
                        > Jacky Ann Johnson. They were in the 1870 Pitt census:
                        > 1870, Pitt Co., Contentnea Township, p. 42, 19 Aug 1870, Family
                        #325:
                        > Wethington, Robt. 22 Farmer $500 $200
                        > Jack Ann 30
                        > Catherine 5/12
                        > Johnson, William 60 No Occupation
                        > Julia 40 At Home
                        > Anna 30 At Home
                        > By 1880 Robert had died or left Pitt County. Jacky Ann was head
                        of the
                        > household and would later marry Wyatt Knox who was working her
                        farm:
                        > 1880, Pitt Co., Contentnea Township, Dwelling #55, Family #55:
                        > Wetherington, J. A. 42 Keeping House
                        > Caty 10 Dau
                        > Willie 8 Son
                        > William 75 Uncle Epilepsey
                        > July 63 Aunt Kidney
                        > April 61 Aunt Consumption
                        > Spivey, Cate 34 Teaching School
                        > Winnie 9 Dau
                        > Marrey 7 Dau
                        > Knox, Wiett 29 Working Farm
                        > Robert, b. abt 1848, was the son of Robert A, Witherington (Abt
                        1805-Abt
                        > 1869) and Sarah "Sally" McGlohon (1810-Aft 1870). Jacky Ann was
                        the
                        > daughter of Cannon Johnson (Abt 1803-Aft 1882) and Rebecca Adams.
                        >
                        > Sammy Pierce
                        > Hobe Sound, FL

                        Lee
                        > > Worthington of Pitt County (Ayden NC) Both are buried in Ayden
                        > > Cemetary and both died in 1952. Any family info would be very
                        helpful.
                        > > Thank You.
                        > >

                        > > Pitt County Historical Society:
                        > >
                        > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for description and
                        ordering
                        > > information:
                        > >
                        > > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use SlideShow:
                        > >
                        > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:
                        > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%
                        20Feb03.htm

                        > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
                        > >
                        > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our
                        dynamic group
                        > > if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
                        Pitt and all

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >
                        > >Sammy, Ther was 1 more child born to William Edgar and Maggie
                        Smith His name was Benjamin Edgar Worthington(Big Buddy)He died
                        1975? He lived in Ayden NC across the street from Holton Dail's old
                        store on Lee Street.

                      • lowboy1963
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 9, 2006
                          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "lisascarola" <feonadorf@...> wrote:

                          > Is that the same William Edgar Worthington, who was married to Lula
                          > Dail?
                          >

                          > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "lowboy1963" <tony.stokes@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > My mother's grandparents were William Edgar Worthington & Maggie
                          Lee
                          > > Worthington of Pitt County (Ayden NC) Both are buried in Ayden
                          > > Cemetary and both died in 1952. Any family info would be very
                          > helpful.
                          > > Thank You.
                          > >Yes this is the same William Edgar Worthington, his first wife was
                          Lula Dail, My GGgrandmother was his second wife(Maggie Smith) their
                          children were Sallie Bet, Velma, Doris Mae(my grandmother),Benjamin
                          Edgar.

                        • Linda Dail
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 14, 2006
                            Elbert Melton Dail was the son of Elbert Dail (son of James). I have not found any other names (1st or middle) for Elbert Dail father of Elbert Melton Dail. Elbert Dail married Mary Turnage. Elbert Melton Dail married Minnie Eliza Williams.
                            Linda

> [...]

                            > > > (b:Apr
                            > > > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
                            > > >
                            > > > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
                            > > > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son
                            > > Theophilus
                            > > > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
                            > > > Sermons [1858-1898]
                            > > >
                            > > > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
                            > > > mother
                            > > > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64
                            > > [d:09
                            > > > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
                            > > >
                            > > > Marcia

                            > married

                            > > Mary
                            > > compare

                            > > protection around
                            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                            > >

                            > > Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY,
                            > > DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS,
                            > > McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

                            === message truncated ===

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 7, 2006
                              Dear Sammy,
                              Robert Worthington may have been the brother of my
                              great, great, great grandfather.
                              My cousins Trish Worthington Cobb and Lisa Scarola
                              can probably help you out. Lisa has a website
                              accessible from http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr This
                              web address is the web of the Pitt County Family
                              Researchers. Lisa's web is listed on the Resources
                              page with websites and other links.
                              Later, Carol

                              Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                              Access over 1 million songs.