Re: [genpcncfir] Info on My mothers family

  • dmbohall29@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
      Carol,

      I see that you descends from Matthew D. Dail. I descends from Theophilus
      (Offie) Dail who married Margaret Vandiford, they were my great-grandparents.
      Theophilus was a brother of Matthew. My grandparents were Alonzo Dail who
      married Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) McLawhorn. I live in Midlothian, VA and would
      love to compare note with you.

      Doris Bohall

      In a message dated 6/5/2006 9:18:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      csinghworthington@... writes:

      Dear Lowboy,
      Our Worthington line descends from Robert
      Worthington--variant spellings Witherington,
      Widderington--of Calvert County, Maryland. From there,
      our Worthingtons moved to Pitt County, North Carolina
      in the 1700's with descendants still living in Calvert
      County, Maryland--the Richmond Times-Dispatch helps me
      keep track with its Sunday Wedding Photos giving all
      the family particulars.
      From the Dail line, I descend from Matthew Dail. My
      great grandfather was Matthew D. Dail whose wife was
      Eleanor Frances Crawford. My grandmother Dosie Dail
      married first Elijah B. Braxton (cerca 1880-1936). My
      father was Elbert Lee Braxton (1913-1961), my mother
      Clyde Rae Worthington (1912-1974) daughter of Alfred
      ("Alp") Worthington and Jennie Secession McGowan.
      Tell us more about your Worthingtons and Dails if
      you have the information. Many of our members are
      related to one or the other of your families, some of
      us to both. Later, Carol

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
        Who was Anna Vandiford, who lived in Greene County? I think she was
        handicapped, not sure. In 1860, I believe, she was living with James Baker
        and his wife Priscilla in Greene County. It listed her as a servant. I am
        curious about her, though.

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

        "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
        chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
        before us and showed us the way."

        Thomas Mann
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
          Dear Paula,
          I do not yet know. The Vandiford family information
          I have comes from the website of Sue Dail Pittman, who
          like you has so generously shared her knowledge with
          us.
          I do know that many of my own McGowan family listed
          their children as "servant" in census records.
          If these McGowans were like Mama, they did it with
          humorous intent and a grain of wisdom, the gentle
          reminder of our "dust"[y] origins to teach us the
          virtue of humility.
          It seemed to me, though, that in my own case, Mama
          was undeniably generous with her doses of humility. I
          don't say this in condemnation. Instead, she seemed to
          feel most strongly that her eldest was the most
          influential role model for her younger ones. That
          conviction made her a zealous teacher. Later, Carol

          > Who was Anna Vandiford, who lived in Greene County?
          > I think she was
          > handicapped, not sure. In 1860, I believe, she was
          > living with James Baker
          > and his wife Priscilla in Greene County. It listed
          > her as a servant. I am
          > curious about her, though.
          >

          > Paula Anne Baker
          > paulabaker69@...
          > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
          > in Pitt County NC and
          > Greene County NC
          > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
          > GA, and LA
          >
          > "We are not free, separate, and independent
          > entities, but like links in a
          > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
          > without those who went
          > before us and showed us the way."
          >
          > Thomas Mann

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
            Hi Doris,

            My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
            descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
            of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
            Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].

            I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
            Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].

            Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I sure
            hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
            confused him with one of the others. Can someone help?

            My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
            1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
            [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
            nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail (b:Apr
            1892) married to Bessie [unknown].

            3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
            unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
            'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
            Sermons [1858-1898]

            5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75, mother
            Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
            Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.

            Marcia

          • dmbohall29@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
              Hi Marcia,

              Theophilus Dail, born 10 Sep 1852, died 9 June 1938, buried in Jackson
              Cemetery, married Margaret Vandiford, daughter of Noah Jackson Vandiford and
              Winifred Elks, His father is Matthew Dail and Dutry Slaughter. I have Matthew's
              parents were Paul Dail and Olive Manning.

              Theophiuls and Margaret had a son named Theophilus who married Bessie O.
              Byrd.

              My McLawhorn family descends from Warren McLawhorn and 1st wife Alice Baker,
              2nd wife Martha Meeks Manning.

              Doris

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 5, 2006
                Doris,
                Thank you for the help.

                My research has not connected your McLawhorn family
                with mine. You go back to Adam & Elizabeth McGlohon
                [b: abt 1746] and mine goes back to Jeremiah
                McGlauhon, who died bef Apr 1759 in Loosing Swamp
                (Bertie), NC area.

                Warren J. McGlawhon [01 Dec 1813 - 08 Jun 1899]
                I have three wives:
                Mary - no children
                Alice 'Allie' Baker - 11 children
                Martha Alice L. Meeks [1827 - 10 Aug 1894] - 2 sons
                a son of Waverly Corbett 'Stray' McLawhorn lives
                here in Chicagoland area.

              • dmbohall29@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                  Marcia,

                  I did not know that Warren J. McGlawhorn had three wives, I only have Alice
                  and Martha I will have to go back and check this out.

                  I know that Waverly Corbertt McLawhorn's son Sherman lived in Chicago but I
                  though that he had died in Jul 1987. I went to school with Sherman and his
                  brother Lester.

                  Doris

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                    Dear Marcia,
                    If I am not mistaken, the parents of my Theophilus
                    Dail are Noah Vandiford and Winifred Elks. Like you
                    and like the rest of us related to one or the other of
                    the Theophilus Dails, the lineage has been a difficult
                    row to hoe. Family research really makes a person
                    think more seriously about naming his children for
                    someone else, doesn't it?
                    Looking at the male name Howard in my immediate
                    family, many might wonder about the parentage of my
                    brother, my nephew, and my son.
                    Why did Mama name a son Howard? She named him for
                    her beloved older brother of course. But this brother
                    was a young man at the time my brother was born. What
                    if he had married and named his own son for himself?
                    Wouldn't that have been confusing?
                    Yes it would have been. However, our uncle never
                    married. End of that complication.
                    Then my own brother named a son Timothy Howard. One
                    might assume that my brother chose Howard because he
                    was Howard. The person would be mistaken. Timothy was
                    named in honor of our uncle.
                    My son Morgan Howard was also named in honor of
                    our uncle, not for my brother.
                    Still, I meant no slight of my brother, for truth
                    to tell, if I still have a hero on this earth, it is
                    this brother.
                    Nor did I mean to slight my son's dad. "Howard"
                    just happened to be the name of his beloved
                    grandfather, so the name delighted both my husband's
                    family and my own.
                    So much for names. Later, Carol

                    --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Doris,
                    >
                    > My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
                    > descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
                    > of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
                    > Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].
                    >
                    > I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
                    > Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].
                    >
                    > Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I
                    > sure
                    > hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
                    > confused him with one of the others. Can someone
                    > help?
                    >
                    > My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
                    > 1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
                    > [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
                    > nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail
                    > (b:Apr
                    > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
                    >
                    > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
                    > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
                    > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
                    > Sermons [1858-1898]
                    >
                    > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
                    > mother
                    > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
                    > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
                    >
                    > Marcia
                    >
                    > --- dmbohall29@... wrote:
                    > > Carol,
                    > > I see that you descends from Matthew D. Dail. I
                    > > descend from Theophilus (Offie) Dail who married
                    > > Margaret Vandiford, my great-grandparents.
                    > > Theophilus was a brother of Matthew.
                    > > My grandparents were Alonzo Dail who married Mary
                    > > Elizabeth (Lizzie) McLawhorn.
                    > > I live in Midlothian, VA and would love to compare
                    >
                    > > notes with you.
                    > > Doris Bohall

                    > protection around
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Marcia McLawhorn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                      No - I mistyped.

                      Sherman Waverly 'Waverly' McLawhorn, born in NC,
                      worked for the railroad. He married and lived the rest
                      of his life in Chicago. He died 8 Jul 1987.

                      His son, Sherman Waverly McLawhorn, born in Chicago,
                      owns a computer store. He is married with a new family
                      consisting of two [when I last spoke to him] preschool
                      age children.

                      Marcia

                    • dmbohall29@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                          Just to add to the confusion. I believe the first Theophilus Dail in North Carolina - my direct ancestor - was the brother of my other ggggrandfather, James Dail. They are both my 3rd greats and their children are listed as cousins in the bibles. Yes - I am descended on my grandfather's side by 2 Dail brothers - One, Theo, was the g. grandfather of my grandfather's mother, Minnie Eliza Williams and the other, James Dail was the g.grandfather of my grandfather's father, Elbert Melton Dail. Both James and Theophilus were born in the late 1790's in Dobbs/Greene county. I am too busy to get really involved at this time - and - I have NO WRITTEN PROOF other than family history given in 1949 when my aunt (age 95)was doing paperwork for the DAR.
                          Have fun!

                          wrote:

                          > Hi Doris,
                          >
                          > My research is on McLawhorn. My Myclawhon family
                          > descends from Aaron L. McLawhorn [1824-1904] husband
                          > of Priscilla Worthington [daughter of Robert A.
                          > Witherington and Sarah 'Sally' McGlawhorn].
                          >
                          > I had different parents for your Theophilus 'Offie'
                          > Dail [husband to Margaret Vandiford].
                          >
                          > Since I have six men named "Theophilus Dail" - [I
                          > sure
                          > hope some of them are duplicates], I must have
                          > confused him with one of the others. Can someone
                          > help?
                          >
                          > My six Theophilus Dail s are as follows -
                          > 1&2) Your Theophilus 'Offie' Dail
                          > [10Sep1852-10Jun1938], wife Margaret Vandiford, with
                          > nine children, one named Theophilus 'Theo' Dail
                          > (b:Apr
                          > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
                          >
                          > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
                          > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son Theophilus
                          > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
                          > Sermons [1858-1898]
                          >
                          > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
                          > mother
                          > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64 [d:09
                          > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
                          >
                          > Marcia
                          >
                          > --- dmbohall29@... wrote:
                          > > Carol,
                          > > I see that you descends from Matthew D. Dail. I
                          > > descend from Theophilus (Offie) Dail who married
                          > > Margaret Vandiford, my great-grandparents.
                          > > Theophilus was a brother of Matthew.
                          > > My grandparents were Alonzo Dail who married Mary
                          > > Elizabeth (Lizzie) McLawhorn.
                          > > I live in Midlothian, VA and would love to compare
                          >
                          > > notes with you.
                          > > Doris Bohall

                          Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY, DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS, McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                            Dear Linda,
                            Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have
                            subtracted from the confusion! We have identical
                            situations in our two families--only the surnames are
                            different.
                            I was not clear on our ancestor Elbert Melton Dail,
                            and you have clarified that for me. My grandmother
                            Braxton, daddy's mother, married Braxton brothers.
                            After her first husband Elijah B. Braxton died, she
                            married his younger brother Elias "Goude" Braxton.
                            From childhood, I had know that Elbert, my father's
                            name, had come from his mother's Dail line. Do you
                            know for whom Elbert Melton Dail was named?
                            When I was growing up, Mama got perturbed when one of
                            daddy's relatives also named Elbert Braxton got our
                            mail and we got his.
                            I also found it interesting going through the
                            generations of the Braxton family to find that one was
                            Howard W. Braxton. My younger brother has the same
                            first name and middle initial. However, I admit that I
                            do not know what was the middle name of the other
                            Howard W. Braxton.
                            Our brother's "W." stands for Mama's maiden name.
                            Both my brothers have as their middle names a surname
                            of Mama's: Worthington and McGowan. We girls did not.
                            Later, Carol

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 6, 2006
                              Correction: "I had known." There's something evil in
                              this keyboard today. Maybe the Times-Dispatch article
                              on 666 and numerology has something to it after all.
                              Oops! Carol

                              === message truncated ===

                            • lowboy1963
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 9, 2006
                                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Sammy Pierce" <samurai369@...>
                                wrote:

                                > William Edgar (1871-1953) was the brother of my great-grandmother,
                                Virginia
                                > Catherine Worthington (Wetherington) (1870-1939) who married Levi
                                Pierce
                                > (1869-1946). William married first Lula Dail (1875-1907) and had
                                6
                                > children; Annie, Raymond C., Hester, Heber, Jacqueline "Jacky"
                                Ann, and
                                > Dixon Exum. He married second Maggie Smith (1892-1964) and three
                                children;
                                > Sallie Bet, Velma, and Doris M.
                                > William Edgar and Kate were children of Robert "Robin"
                                Wetherington and
                                > Jacky Ann Johnson. They were in the 1870 Pitt census:
                                > 1870, Pitt Co., Contentnea Township, p. 42, 19 Aug 1870, Family
                                #325:
                                > Wethington, Robt. 22 Farmer $500 $200
                                > Jack Ann 30
                                > Catherine 5/12
                                > Johnson, William 60 No Occupation
                                > Julia 40 At Home
                                > Anna 30 At Home
                                > By 1880 Robert had died or left Pitt County. Jacky Ann was head
                                of the
                                > household and would later marry Wyatt Knox who was working her
                                farm:
                                > 1880, Pitt Co., Contentnea Township, Dwelling #55, Family #55:
                                > Wetherington, J. A. 42 Keeping House
                                > Caty 10 Dau
                                > Willie 8 Son
                                > William 75 Uncle Epilepsey
                                > July 63 Aunt Kidney
                                > April 61 Aunt Consumption
                                > Spivey, Cate 34 Teaching School
                                > Winnie 9 Dau
                                > Marrey 7 Dau
                                > Knox, Wiett 29 Working Farm
                                > Robert, b. abt 1848, was the son of Robert A, Witherington (Abt
                                1805-Abt
                                > 1869) and Sarah "Sally" McGlohon (1810-Aft 1870). Jacky Ann was
                                the
                                > daughter of Cannon Johnson (Abt 1803-Aft 1882) and Rebecca Adams.
                                >
                                > Sammy Pierce
                                > Hobe Sound, FL

                                Lee
                                > > Worthington of Pitt County (Ayden NC) Both are buried in Ayden
                                > > Cemetary and both died in 1952. Any family info would be very
                                helpful.
                                > > Thank You.
                                > >

                                > > Pitt County Historical Society:
                                > >
                                > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for description and
                                ordering
                                > > information:
                                > >
                                > > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use SlideShow:
                                > >
                                > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:
                                > > http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%
                                20Feb03.htm

                                > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
                                > >
                                > > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our
                                dynamic group
                                > > if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
                                Pitt and all

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >
                                > >Sammy, Ther was 1 more child born to William Edgar and Maggie
                                Smith His name was Benjamin Edgar Worthington(Big Buddy)He died
                                1975? He lived in Ayden NC across the street from Holton Dail's old
                                store on Lee Street.

                              • lowboy1963
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 9, 2006
                                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "lisascarola" <feonadorf@...> wrote:

                                  > Is that the same William Edgar Worthington, who was married to Lula
                                  > Dail?
                                  >

                                  > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "lowboy1963" <tony.stokes@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > My mother's grandparents were William Edgar Worthington & Maggie
                                  Lee
                                  > > Worthington of Pitt County (Ayden NC) Both are buried in Ayden
                                  > > Cemetary and both died in 1952. Any family info would be very
                                  > helpful.
                                  > > Thank You.
                                  > >Yes this is the same William Edgar Worthington, his first wife was
                                  Lula Dail, My GGgrandmother was his second wife(Maggie Smith) their
                                  children were Sallie Bet, Velma, Doris Mae(my grandmother),Benjamin
                                  Edgar.

                                • Linda Dail
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 14, 2006
                                    Elbert Melton Dail was the son of Elbert Dail (son of James). I have not found any other names (1st or middle) for Elbert Dail father of Elbert Melton Dail. Elbert Dail married Mary Turnage. Elbert Melton Dail married Minnie Eliza Williams.
                                    Linda

> [...]

                                    > > > (b:Apr
                                    > > > 1892) married to Bessie [unknown].
                                    > > >
                                    > > > 3&4) Theophilus 'Offie' Dail [1827-1905] parents
                                    > > > unknown, his wife Nancy Davis and his son
                                    > > Theophilus
                                    > > > 'Offie' Dail [6Aug1864-26Mar1938] wife Julia F.
                                    > > > Sermons [1858-1898]
                                    > > >
                                    > > > 5&6) From 1850 Census, Theophilus Dail, age 75,
                                    > > > mother
                                    > > > Jane, age 91, & wife Elizabeth Meekins, age 64
                                    > > [d:09
                                    > > > Dec 1852] and son Theophilus 'Offie' Dail.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Marcia

                                    > married

                                    > > Mary
                                    > > compare

                                    > > protection around
                                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    > >

                                    > > Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY,
                                    > > DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS,
                                    > > McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 7, 2006
                                      Dear Sammy,
                                      Robert Worthington may have been the brother of my
                                      great, great, great grandfather.
                                      My cousins Trish Worthington Cobb and Lisa Scarola
                                      can probably help you out. Lisa has a website
                                      accessible from http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr This
                                      web address is the web of the Pitt County Family
                                      Researchers. Lisa's web is listed on the Resources
                                      page with websites and other links.
                                      Later, Carol

                                      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                                      Access over 1 million songs.