Re: [genpcncfir] SEYMOUR

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
      Paula,
      I just realized from everyone's sharing information
      on the Seymours that they are most likely related to
      me from two different lines. If anyone had asked me
      about them, I would have said I was not kin to any of
      them. It's discussions like these that prove the value
      of our sharing our information and asking our
      questions. Even the most tangential statement might
      fill in gaps in someone else's research.
      On another note, since I am still searching for
      some of my kin, can you tell me please how you went
      about submitting your DNA, to where, and when and how
      you got your results.
      I learned from our members' discussions about
      submissions to a DNA database, but my understanding
      was that there were not enough participants to do it
      as a group. Please tell me more. Later, Carol

      > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine
      > Seymour/Seamore? She married a
      > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had
      > ties in Pitt, though.
      > They were of my line however. We just can't figure
      > out how we're related.
      > DNA has matched us.
      >

      > Paula Anne Baker
      > paulabaker69@...
      > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
      > in Pitt County NC and
      > Greene County NC
      > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
      > GA, and LA
      >
      > "We are not free, separate, and independent
      > entities, but like links in a
      > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
      > without those who went
      > before us and showed us the way."
      >
      > Thomas Mann

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
        Paula,

        The 2 (Brothers, I think) John Washington and Denmark M Seymour,
        where from Saulston, Wayne County, North Carolina. They were both
        born between 1875 abd 1880, their mother might have been named Jane,
        looks like their father, died before the 1880 census. These 2 men
        where the husbands of 2 of the daughters of John Hart and Rebecca
        McLawhorn. Their mother might also have been named Elva Seymour and
        the father named Burrell SHADDING, I still have to do a little more
        research to see if they had any siblings.

        Lisa

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
        wrote:

        > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine Seymour/Seamore? She
        married a
        > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had ties in Pitt,
        though.
        > They were of my line however. We just can't figure out how we're
        related.
        > DNA has matched us.
        >

        > Paula Anne Baker
        > paulabaker69@...
        > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County
        NC and
        > Greene County NC
        > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA
        >
        > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
        links in a
        > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those
        who went
        > before us and showed us the way."
        >
        > Thomas Mann

      • lisascarola
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
          Marcia,

          Leah at the time she did her work, might have mis-read whatever doc
          she was getting it from. Which I understand since I've made the same
          mistakes myself.

          Lisa

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
            That's very interesting and I will pass that along to cousin Cliff. Please
            do check. Now, I think perhaps her father was Giles Seymour. Not sure. I
            think that's census info.

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
            chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
            before us and showed us the way."

            Thomas Mann
          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
              Lisa,
              The number of my mistakes, which I have uncovered thus
              far are way too numerous to be contemplated.

              I used Leah's work as the starting point of my own. I
              hesitated to say there may be an error, but facts need
              to be checked. This is true no matter who published
              the info. When there are no facts, logic must
              prevail. This is why I put out my thoughts for all to
              challenge if they find fault.

              I am very impressed with Leah's work, which was done
              without the advantage of a computer or the Internet.
              Marcia

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                I joined the BakerDNA.net project and my father submitted his DNA for Y
                testing. We matched a man whose ancestor was William Baker b. abt 1800 from
                Greene Co NC. My James Baker b. 1804 from Greene Co NC is my earliest
                ancestor. Only men can participate in this Y testing since women do not
                have Y chromosomes. One thing that was useful is that now we know that the
                Baker men did father the children down to Cliff Baker and down to my father
                Louis. We know that because we matched. Right now we are a two person
                group on the BakerDNA.net site. Look for "Bakers with ties to Greene Co."
                Click either number and you can see our lines. Go to www.familytreedna.com
                and see if there is a surname project going on for your surname. What we
                are hoping for now is a match, perhaps from Maryland or Virginia or a
                different county in NC. The group my father tested in is R1b. The Moses
                Baker, Elizabeth Brown line from Edgecombe, tested in the J group. R1b and
                J are two of several haplogroups in the Y testing testing that indicate what
                region of the world your DNA could have come from.

                We also had my father's MtDNA tested, which is really useless for genealogy.
                That traces his mother's mother's mother's dna......way back to early
                times. That just tells approx. what region of the world that person or
                group came from. I'm not sure I would do that again. And, that doesn't
                test MY dna since I got my mtdna from my mother. This can sometimes, but
                not always, tell you race very far back. A lot of us came from Europe of
                course. The mapping process for this project is very complicated and the
                results we got were European, but the lower part of Europe perhaps. Then a
                woman wrote to me telling me that a few people in my "group" were claiming
                Native American ancestry. I'm not interested in that much complexity.
                Perhaps this info will be helpful later.

                Paula Anne Baker
                paulabaker69@...
                Greene County NC

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Dear Paula,
                  Thanks for explaining it to me. I had understood
                  that the male line would be tested but not how from it
                  the maternal line would also be involved.
                  Since our McGowan, Braxton, and Worthington
                  families, not to mention Cannon, Dail and numerous
                  others, are so intermarried, we would definitely have
                  to go back beyond our arrival in this country to learn
                  anything more.
                  As you know my first questions were about my
                  McGowan line, who was my great grandfather and how
                  could I prove it?
                  William William McGowan was my great uncle. His
                  brother Lemuel, Sr. was my great grandfather. His
                  brother Archibald was my great uncle. His other
                  brother was also my great uncle.
                  Lemuel McGowan, Jr. married his Uncle William
                  William McGowan's daughter Lydia. They had no children
                  as far as I have been able to learn.
                  Then Lemuel Jr.'s sister Jacky Ann McGowan has a
                  child in 1879, and that child, Jenny S[ecession]
                  McGowan is identified as "grandchild" in the household
                  of Lemuel McGowan, Sr. and Perlina Moore McGowan where
                  Jacky still resides. She is listed as "single" in the
                  1880 census along with her sisters still living there.
                  If Mama had not told me, later census records
                  would have told me that Jenny was the daughter of
                  Jacky Ann--notably the 1900 Nash County Census I
                  stumbled upon by accident and the 1910 Pitt County
                  Census where both were living in the household of
                  Alfred Worthington, the previously widowed Jenny's new
                  husband.
                  If I had stumbled upon the 1900 Nash County
                  Census prior to learning that Jenny's husband's last
                  name was ANDERSON, seeing Jenny Anderson in that
                  census would have rung no bell. Sometimes
                  circumstances simply fall into place at the right
                  time.
                  The McGowan line is further complicated by
                  Jenny's marriage to Alfred Worthington who was the son
                  of Alfred Worthington, Sr. and Sarah Frances McGowan.
                  Sarah Frances and Jacky Ann were first cousins.
                  What confirmed Jenny's parentage for me was the
                  listing of Ken McGowan on one of Jenny's marriage
                  licenses. I knew that this was William Kinsey McGowan
                  when W.K. was further identified with "also known as
                  Ken" when named as one of the heirs of George Moore,
                  his maternal grandfather, along with his brother
                  Mumford McGowan.
                  Take the much-argued case of Thomas Jefferson's
                  descendants which first sparked my interest.
                  Did he or did he not father children by Sally
                  Hemmings, his wife's half sister and part Negro?
                  What the DNA came down to was that the Hemmings
                  had Jefferson DNA and were finally allowed to
                  participate in the Jefferson family reunion.
                  Since for whatever reason nobody could prove that
                  it was Thomas Jefferson himself, instead of an uncle
                  or nephew or whoever, who had fathered the Hemmings
                  line, there remain vocal defendants of Thomas
                  Jefferson himself as a man who would never have
                  fathered an out-of-wedlock child or who would never
                  have fathered a child with his deceased wife's half
                  sister or, again, whatever or whoever.
                  What puzzles me, then, is how does a DNA service
                  like the one Maury Povich supposedly uses identify
                  positively who is the father of every disputed case
                  brought to his show? A few times the reputed fathers
                  were brothers and in one case twins.
                  Is it possible to identify which of a set of
                  twins or a set of identical twins is the father of a
                  particular child?
                  Do you know? Later, Carol

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                    I don't think you can distinguish identical twins on Dna, but I'm not
                    positive about it.

                    Paula Anne Baker
                    paulabaker69@...
                    Greene County NC