Re: SEYMOUR

  • lisascarola
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
      Bill and Trish,

      I have in a little different.
      I have Rebecca McLawhorn, d/o Aaron L and Priscilla Worthington
      McLawhorn, married to John R Hart.
      I have their daughter Mary L Hart married to John Seymour on 23 Jul
      1899, Chicod Township, Pitt County, NC.
      I also have their daughter Lizzie Hart married to a Denmark Seymour
      on 28 Jan 1897, Contentenea Township, Pitt County, NC.
      I also have 3 other daughters listed Armesy Hart, Grace Pearl Smith
      Hart, and Annie Hart.

      Hope I'm not butting in,
      Lisa

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

      > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate
      Vol 52-578 No other info given.

      > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o
      Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L.,
      Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.

      > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
      > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October
      16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905

      > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900
      d. June 10, 1901

      > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14,
      1911 d. March 8, 1911

      > Bill

    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
        Lisa, no problem. Maybe if we can get some more people in here we will find
        the connections.

        As of right now I don't have anything to add.
        Bill
        I have Rebecca McLawhorn, d/o Aaron L and Priscilla Worthington
        McLawhorn, married to John R Hart.
        I have their daughter Mary L Hart married to John Seymour on 23 Jul
        1899, Chicod Township, Pitt County, NC.
        I also have their daughter Lizzie Hart married to a Denmark Seymour
        on 28 Jan 1897, Contentenea Township, Pitt County, NC.
        I also have 3 other daughters listed Armesy Hart, Grace Pearl Smith
        Hart, and Annie Hart.

        Hope I'm not butting in,
        Lisa

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

        > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate
        Vol 52-578 No other info given.

        > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o
        Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L.,
        Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.

        > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
        > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October
        16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905

        > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900
        d. June 10, 1901

        > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14,
        1911 d. March 8, 1911

        > Bill

        Pitt County Historical Society:

        information:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
          Did any of you every hear of a Josephine Seymour/Seamore? She married a
          Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had ties in Pitt, though.
          They were of my line however. We just can't figure out how we're related.
          DNA has matched us.

          Paula Anne Baker
          paulabaker69@...
          Greene County NC

          "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
          chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
          before us and showed us the way."

          Thomas Mann
        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
            To All,
            Lisa, you're not butting in, that's why we are
            communicating on an open list.

            The 1880 Census has this family:
            John HEART [age 29]
            Rebecker HEART [age 29]
            Mary L. HEART [age 5]
            Armecey HEART [age 3]
            unnamed HEART [age 3 months]

            If John and Rebecca were married on 26 Apr 1874,
            then Mary and sisters are John Hart's daughters, not
            John Seymour's.

            Plus, the probability that Mary's father is John
            Seymour and she also marrried a John Seymour seems
            small. Especially seeing that Seymour is not one of
            the common names.

            Now considering that there is no marriage record to
            John Seymour for Rebecca, but is one for Mary. [Bill,
            I love Leah's work. There's a possibility that her
            work has an error.]

            Bill, also Rebecca wouldn't be the first or the last
            woman, who shaves a few years off her age. Most of my
            women folk did. As we know, the best estimate for a
            date is the one closest to the event. In this case, I
            would prefer using the 1860 census, which I do not
            have yet, but both the 1870 and 1880 are consistant to
            a birthyear of 1850-1852.

            Thanks, I didn't have Mary Ann McLawhorn's birthdate.
            I also didn't know Priscilla Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Hart
            married Denmark Seymour.

            Marcia

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
              Paula,
              I just realized from everyone's sharing information
              on the Seymours that they are most likely related to
              me from two different lines. If anyone had asked me
              about them, I would have said I was not kin to any of
              them. It's discussions like these that prove the value
              of our sharing our information and asking our
              questions. Even the most tangential statement might
              fill in gaps in someone else's research.
              On another note, since I am still searching for
              some of my kin, can you tell me please how you went
              about submitting your DNA, to where, and when and how
              you got your results.
              I learned from our members' discussions about
              submissions to a DNA database, but my understanding
              was that there were not enough participants to do it
              as a group. Please tell me more. Later, Carol

              > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine
              > Seymour/Seamore? She married a
              > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had
              > ties in Pitt, though.
              > They were of my line however. We just can't figure
              > out how we're related.
              > DNA has matched us.
              >

              > Paula Anne Baker
              > paulabaker69@...
              > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
              > in Pitt County NC and
              > Greene County NC
              > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
              > GA, and LA
              >
              > "We are not free, separate, and independent
              > entities, but like links in a
              > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
              > without those who went
              > before us and showed us the way."
              >
              > Thomas Mann

            • lisascarola
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                Paula,

                The 2 (Brothers, I think) John Washington and Denmark M Seymour,
                where from Saulston, Wayne County, North Carolina. They were both
                born between 1875 abd 1880, their mother might have been named Jane,
                looks like their father, died before the 1880 census. These 2 men
                where the husbands of 2 of the daughters of John Hart and Rebecca
                McLawhorn. Their mother might also have been named Elva Seymour and
                the father named Burrell SHADDING, I still have to do a little more
                research to see if they had any siblings.

                Lisa

                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
                wrote:

                > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine Seymour/Seamore? She
                married a
                > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had ties in Pitt,
                though.
                > They were of my line however. We just can't figure out how we're
                related.
                > DNA has matched us.
                >

                > Paula Anne Baker
                > paulabaker69@...
                > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County
                NC and
                > Greene County NC
                > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA
                >
                > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
                links in a
                > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those
                who went
                > before us and showed us the way."
                >
                > Thomas Mann

              • lisascarola
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Marcia,

                  Leah at the time she did her work, might have mis-read whatever doc
                  she was getting it from. Which I understand since I've made the same
                  mistakes myself.

                  Lisa

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                    That's very interesting and I will pass that along to cousin Cliff. Please
                    do check. Now, I think perhaps her father was Giles Seymour. Not sure. I
                    think that's census info.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                      Lisa,
                      The number of my mistakes, which I have uncovered thus
                      far are way too numerous to be contemplated.

                      I used Leah's work as the starting point of my own. I
                      hesitated to say there may be an error, but facts need
                      to be checked. This is true no matter who published
                      the info. When there are no facts, logic must
                      prevail. This is why I put out my thoughts for all to
                      challenge if they find fault.

                      I am very impressed with Leah's work, which was done
                      without the advantage of a computer or the Internet.
                      Marcia

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                        I joined the BakerDNA.net project and my father submitted his DNA for Y
                        testing. We matched a man whose ancestor was William Baker b. abt 1800 from
                        Greene Co NC. My James Baker b. 1804 from Greene Co NC is my earliest
                        ancestor. Only men can participate in this Y testing since women do not
                        have Y chromosomes. One thing that was useful is that now we know that the
                        Baker men did father the children down to Cliff Baker and down to my father
                        Louis. We know that because we matched. Right now we are a two person
                        group on the BakerDNA.net site. Look for "Bakers with ties to Greene Co."
                        Click either number and you can see our lines. Go to www.familytreedna.com
                        and see if there is a surname project going on for your surname. What we
                        are hoping for now is a match, perhaps from Maryland or Virginia or a
                        different county in NC. The group my father tested in is R1b. The Moses
                        Baker, Elizabeth Brown line from Edgecombe, tested in the J group. R1b and
                        J are two of several haplogroups in the Y testing testing that indicate what
                        region of the world your DNA could have come from.

                        We also had my father's MtDNA tested, which is really useless for genealogy.
                        That traces his mother's mother's mother's dna......way back to early
                        times. That just tells approx. what region of the world that person or
                        group came from. I'm not sure I would do that again. And, that doesn't
                        test MY dna since I got my mtdna from my mother. This can sometimes, but
                        not always, tell you race very far back. A lot of us came from Europe of
                        course. The mapping process for this project is very complicated and the
                        results we got were European, but the lower part of Europe perhaps. Then a
                        woman wrote to me telling me that a few people in my "group" were claiming
                        Native American ancestry. I'm not interested in that much complexity.
                        Perhaps this info will be helpful later.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                          Dear Paula,
                          Thanks for explaining it to me. I had understood
                          that the male line would be tested but not how from it
                          the maternal line would also be involved.
                          Since our McGowan, Braxton, and Worthington
                          families, not to mention Cannon, Dail and numerous
                          others, are so intermarried, we would definitely have
                          to go back beyond our arrival in this country to learn
                          anything more.
                          As you know my first questions were about my
                          McGowan line, who was my great grandfather and how
                          could I prove it?
                          William William McGowan was my great uncle. His
                          brother Lemuel, Sr. was my great grandfather. His
                          brother Archibald was my great uncle. His other
                          brother was also my great uncle.
                          Lemuel McGowan, Jr. married his Uncle William
                          William McGowan's daughter Lydia. They had no children
                          as far as I have been able to learn.
                          Then Lemuel Jr.'s sister Jacky Ann McGowan has a
                          child in 1879, and that child, Jenny S[ecession]
                          McGowan is identified as "grandchild" in the household
                          of Lemuel McGowan, Sr. and Perlina Moore McGowan where
                          Jacky still resides. She is listed as "single" in the
                          1880 census along with her sisters still living there.
                          If Mama had not told me, later census records
                          would have told me that Jenny was the daughter of
                          Jacky Ann--notably the 1900 Nash County Census I
                          stumbled upon by accident and the 1910 Pitt County
                          Census where both were living in the household of
                          Alfred Worthington, the previously widowed Jenny's new
                          husband.
                          If I had stumbled upon the 1900 Nash County
                          Census prior to learning that Jenny's husband's last
                          name was ANDERSON, seeing Jenny Anderson in that
                          census would have rung no bell. Sometimes
                          circumstances simply fall into place at the right
                          time.
                          The McGowan line is further complicated by
                          Jenny's marriage to Alfred Worthington who was the son
                          of Alfred Worthington, Sr. and Sarah Frances McGowan.
                          Sarah Frances and Jacky Ann were first cousins.
                          What confirmed Jenny's parentage for me was the
                          listing of Ken McGowan on one of Jenny's marriage
                          licenses. I knew that this was William Kinsey McGowan
                          when W.K. was further identified with "also known as
                          Ken" when named as one of the heirs of George Moore,
                          his maternal grandfather, along with his brother
                          Mumford McGowan.
                          Take the much-argued case of Thomas Jefferson's
                          descendants which first sparked my interest.
                          Did he or did he not father children by Sally
                          Hemmings, his wife's half sister and part Negro?
                          What the DNA came down to was that the Hemmings
                          had Jefferson DNA and were finally allowed to
                          participate in the Jefferson family reunion.
                          Since for whatever reason nobody could prove that
                          it was Thomas Jefferson himself, instead of an uncle
                          or nephew or whoever, who had fathered the Hemmings
                          line, there remain vocal defendants of Thomas
                          Jefferson himself as a man who would never have
                          fathered an out-of-wedlock child or who would never
                          have fathered a child with his deceased wife's half
                          sister or, again, whatever or whoever.
                          What puzzles me, then, is how does a DNA service
                          like the one Maury Povich supposedly uses identify
                          positively who is the father of every disputed case
                          brought to his show? A few times the reputed fathers
                          were brothers and in one case twins.
                          Is it possible to identify which of a set of
                          twins or a set of identical twins is the father of a
                          particular child?
                          Do you know? Later, Carol

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                              Dear Paula,