SEYMOUR

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 17 , May 30, 2006
      Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate Vol 52-578 No other info given.

      John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L., Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.

      Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
      CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October 16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905

      JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900 d. June 10, 1901

      INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14, 1911 d. March 8, 1911

      Bill

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 17 , May 30, 2006
        Bill
        Thanks for that information. I will let Peggy know. I don't think
        she had Olivia's father listed.
        Trish

        On May 30, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Bill Kittrell wrote:

        > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate
        > Vol 52-578 No other info given.
        >
        > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o
        > Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L.,
        > Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.
        >
        > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
        > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October
        > 16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905
        >
        > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900
        > d. June 10, 1901
        >
        > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14,
        > 1911 d. March 8, 1911
        >

        > Bill
      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 17 , May 31, 2006
          Hi Bill,

          Where did you get 1854 as Rebecca (McLawhorn) Seymour
          Hart's birth year?

          My research indicates that -
          On the 1870 Census for "A McLAWHORN", she is listed as
          his 19 year old single daughter.
          on the 1880 census for "John HEART", she is listed as
          a his 29 year old wife.

          Is John Seymour the father of Rebecca's first three
          daughters [Mary L., Armecey 'Macy' & Priscilla
          Elizabeth 'Lizzie']?
          If so, did they continue to use the Seymour lastname
          or change to Hart? The 1880 Census has them as Heart!

          Marcia

          --- Bill Kittrell <wbk99@...> wrote:

          > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt
          > Death Certificate Vol 52-578 No other info given.
          >
          > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23,
          > 1899, d/o Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington.
          > Had children Mary L., Macy and Lizzie. This is all
          > I have.
          >
          > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried
          > there:
          > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour
          > b. October 16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905
          >
          > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b.
          > May 22, 1900 d. June 10, 1901
          >
          > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b.
          > February 14, 1911 d. March 8, 1911
          >

          > Bill

        • Bill Kittrell
          Message 4 of 17 , May 31, 2006
            SOURCE: Lenoir County Census 1850

            Gray Seymour 55 M
            Martha 40 F
            James 22 M
            Susan 20 F
            John 13 M
            Percilla 10 F
            Eliza 1 F

            Sally Seymour 45 F
            Sally Shirley 10 F
            Agnes Shirley 28 F

          • lisascarola
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
              Bill and Trish,

              I have in a little different.
              I have Rebecca McLawhorn, d/o Aaron L and Priscilla Worthington
              McLawhorn, married to John R Hart.
              I have their daughter Mary L Hart married to John Seymour on 23 Jul
              1899, Chicod Township, Pitt County, NC.
              I also have their daughter Lizzie Hart married to a Denmark Seymour
              on 28 Jan 1897, Contentenea Township, Pitt County, NC.
              I also have 3 other daughters listed Armesy Hart, Grace Pearl Smith
              Hart, and Annie Hart.

              Hope I'm not butting in,
              Lisa

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

              > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate
              Vol 52-578 No other info given.

              > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o
              Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L.,
              Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.

              > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
              > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October
              16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905

              > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900
              d. June 10, 1901

              > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14,
              1911 d. March 8, 1911

              > Bill

            • Bill Kittrell
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                Lisa, no problem. Maybe if we can get some more people in here we will find
                the connections.

                As of right now I don't have anything to add.
                Bill
                I have Rebecca McLawhorn, d/o Aaron L and Priscilla Worthington
                McLawhorn, married to John R Hart.
                I have their daughter Mary L Hart married to John Seymour on 23 Jul
                1899, Chicod Township, Pitt County, NC.
                I also have their daughter Lizzie Hart married to a Denmark Seymour
                on 28 Jan 1897, Contentenea Township, Pitt County, NC.
                I also have 3 other daughters listed Armesy Hart, Grace Pearl Smith
                Hart, and Annie Hart.

                Hope I'm not butting in,
                Lisa

                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

                > Olivia Seymour Caraft was d/o James Seymour, Pitt Death Certificate
                Vol 52-578 No other info given.

                > John Seymour m. Rebecca McLawhorn b. 1854 d. Nov 23, 1899, d/o
                Aaron McLawhorn and Priscella Worthington. Had children Mary L.,
                Macy and Lizzie. This is all I have.

                > Luke McLawhorn Cemetery has the following buried there:
                > CARRIE T. SEYMOUR, Daughter of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. October
                16, 1901 d. December 21, 1905

                > JASPER A. SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. May 22, 1900
                d. June 10, 1901

                > INFANT SEYMOUR, Son of J. W. & Mary Seymour b. February 14,
                1911 d. March 8, 1911

                > Bill

                Pitt County Historical Society:

                information:

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Did any of you every hear of a Josephine Seymour/Seamore? She married a
                  Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had ties in Pitt, though.
                  They were of my line however. We just can't figure out how we're related.
                  DNA has matched us.

                  Paula Anne Baker
                  paulabaker69@...
                  Greene County NC

                  "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
                  chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
                  before us and showed us the way."

                  Thomas Mann
                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                    To All,
                    Lisa, you're not butting in, that's why we are
                    communicating on an open list.

                    The 1880 Census has this family:
                    John HEART [age 29]
                    Rebecker HEART [age 29]
                    Mary L. HEART [age 5]
                    Armecey HEART [age 3]
                    unnamed HEART [age 3 months]

                    If John and Rebecca were married on 26 Apr 1874,
                    then Mary and sisters are John Hart's daughters, not
                    John Seymour's.

                    Plus, the probability that Mary's father is John
                    Seymour and she also marrried a John Seymour seems
                    small. Especially seeing that Seymour is not one of
                    the common names.

                    Now considering that there is no marriage record to
                    John Seymour for Rebecca, but is one for Mary. [Bill,
                    I love Leah's work. There's a possibility that her
                    work has an error.]

                    Bill, also Rebecca wouldn't be the first or the last
                    woman, who shaves a few years off her age. Most of my
                    women folk did. As we know, the best estimate for a
                    date is the one closest to the event. In this case, I
                    would prefer using the 1860 census, which I do not
                    have yet, but both the 1870 and 1880 are consistant to
                    a birthyear of 1850-1852.

                    Thanks, I didn't have Mary Ann McLawhorn's birthdate.
                    I also didn't know Priscilla Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Hart
                    married Denmark Seymour.

                    Marcia

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                      Paula,
                      I just realized from everyone's sharing information
                      on the Seymours that they are most likely related to
                      me from two different lines. If anyone had asked me
                      about them, I would have said I was not kin to any of
                      them. It's discussions like these that prove the value
                      of our sharing our information and asking our
                      questions. Even the most tangential statement might
                      fill in gaps in someone else's research.
                      On another note, since I am still searching for
                      some of my kin, can you tell me please how you went
                      about submitting your DNA, to where, and when and how
                      you got your results.
                      I learned from our members' discussions about
                      submissions to a DNA database, but my understanding
                      was that there were not enough participants to do it
                      as a group. Please tell me more. Later, Carol

                      > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine
                      > Seymour/Seamore? She married a
                      > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had
                      > ties in Pitt, though.
                      > They were of my line however. We just can't figure
                      > out how we're related.
                      > DNA has matched us.
                      >

                      > Paula Anne Baker
                      > paulabaker69@...
                      > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS
                      > in Pitt County NC and
                      > Greene County NC
                      > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC,
                      > GA, and LA
                      >
                      > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                      > entities, but like links in a
                      > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
                      > without those who went
                      > before us and showed us the way."
                      >
                      > Thomas Mann

                    • lisascarola
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                        Paula,

                        The 2 (Brothers, I think) John Washington and Denmark M Seymour,
                        where from Saulston, Wayne County, North Carolina. They were both
                        born between 1875 abd 1880, their mother might have been named Jane,
                        looks like their father, died before the 1880 census. These 2 men
                        where the husbands of 2 of the daughters of John Hart and Rebecca
                        McLawhorn. Their mother might also have been named Elva Seymour and
                        the father named Burrell SHADDING, I still have to do a little more
                        research to see if they had any siblings.

                        Lisa

                        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Did any of you every hear of a Josephine Seymour/Seamore? She
                        married a
                        > Baker and was from Wayne County. These Bakers had ties in Pitt,
                        though.
                        > They were of my line however. We just can't figure out how we're
                        related.
                        > DNA has matched us.
                        >

                        > Paula Anne Baker
                        > paulabaker69@...
                        > Researching BAKER, MANNING, TYSON, STOCKS AND OTHERS in Pitt County
                        NC and
                        > Greene County NC
                        > and COLE, NORMAN, WHITE, SUTTON AND OTHERS in SC, GA, and LA
                        >
                        > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
                        links in a
                        > chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those
                        who went
                        > before us and showed us the way."
                        >
                        > Thomas Mann

                      • lisascarola
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 1, 2006
                          Marcia,

                          Leah at the time she did her work, might have mis-read whatever doc
                          she was getting it from. Which I understand since I've made the same
                          mistakes myself.

                          Lisa

                          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                            That's very interesting and I will pass that along to cousin Cliff. Please
                            do check. Now, I think perhaps her father was Giles Seymour. Not sure. I
                            think that's census info.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                              Lisa,
                              The number of my mistakes, which I have uncovered thus
                              far are way too numerous to be contemplated.

                              I used Leah's work as the starting point of my own. I
                              hesitated to say there may be an error, but facts need
                              to be checked. This is true no matter who published
                              the info. When there are no facts, logic must
                              prevail. This is why I put out my thoughts for all to
                              challenge if they find fault.

                              I am very impressed with Leah's work, which was done
                              without the advantage of a computer or the Internet.
                              Marcia

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 2, 2006
                                I joined the BakerDNA.net project and my father submitted his DNA for Y
                                testing. We matched a man whose ancestor was William Baker b. abt 1800 from
                                Greene Co NC. My James Baker b. 1804 from Greene Co NC is my earliest
                                ancestor. Only men can participate in this Y testing since women do not
                                have Y chromosomes. One thing that was useful is that now we know that the
                                Baker men did father the children down to Cliff Baker and down to my father
                                Louis. We know that because we matched. Right now we are a two person
                                group on the BakerDNA.net site. Look for "Bakers with ties to Greene Co."
                                Click either number and you can see our lines. Go to www.familytreedna.com
                                and see if there is a surname project going on for your surname. What we
                                are hoping for now is a match, perhaps from Maryland or Virginia or a
                                different county in NC. The group my father tested in is R1b. The Moses
                                Baker, Elizabeth Brown line from Edgecombe, tested in the J group. R1b and
                                J are two of several haplogroups in the Y testing testing that indicate what
                                region of the world your DNA could have come from.

                                We also had my father's MtDNA tested, which is really useless for genealogy.
                                That traces his mother's mother's mother's dna......way back to early
                                times. That just tells approx. what region of the world that person or
                                group came from. I'm not sure I would do that again. And, that doesn't
                                test MY dna since I got my mtdna from my mother. This can sometimes, but
                                not always, tell you race very far back. A lot of us came from Europe of
                                course. The mapping process for this project is very complicated and the
                                results we got were European, but the lower part of Europe perhaps. Then a
                                woman wrote to me telling me that a few people in my "group" were claiming
                                Native American ancestry. I'm not interested in that much complexity.
                                Perhaps this info will be helpful later.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                                  Dear Paula,
                                  Thanks for explaining it to me. I had understood
                                  that the male line would be tested but not how from it
                                  the maternal line would also be involved.
                                  Since our McGowan, Braxton, and Worthington
                                  families, not to mention Cannon, Dail and numerous
                                  others, are so intermarried, we would definitely have
                                  to go back beyond our arrival in this country to learn
                                  anything more.
                                  As you know my first questions were about my
                                  McGowan line, who was my great grandfather and how
                                  could I prove it?
                                  William William McGowan was my great uncle. His
                                  brother Lemuel, Sr. was my great grandfather. His
                                  brother Archibald was my great uncle. His other
                                  brother was also my great uncle.
                                  Lemuel McGowan, Jr. married his Uncle William
                                  William McGowan's daughter Lydia. They had no children
                                  as far as I have been able to learn.
                                  Then Lemuel Jr.'s sister Jacky Ann McGowan has a
                                  child in 1879, and that child, Jenny S[ecession]
                                  McGowan is identified as "grandchild" in the household
                                  of Lemuel McGowan, Sr. and Perlina Moore McGowan where
                                  Jacky still resides. She is listed as "single" in the
                                  1880 census along with her sisters still living there.
                                  If Mama had not told me, later census records
                                  would have told me that Jenny was the daughter of
                                  Jacky Ann--notably the 1900 Nash County Census I
                                  stumbled upon by accident and the 1910 Pitt County
                                  Census where both were living in the household of
                                  Alfred Worthington, the previously widowed Jenny's new
                                  husband.
                                  If I had stumbled upon the 1900 Nash County
                                  Census prior to learning that Jenny's husband's last
                                  name was ANDERSON, seeing Jenny Anderson in that
                                  census would have rung no bell. Sometimes
                                  circumstances simply fall into place at the right
                                  time.
                                  The McGowan line is further complicated by
                                  Jenny's marriage to Alfred Worthington who was the son
                                  of Alfred Worthington, Sr. and Sarah Frances McGowan.
                                  Sarah Frances and Jacky Ann were first cousins.
                                  What confirmed Jenny's parentage for me was the
                                  listing of Ken McGowan on one of Jenny's marriage
                                  licenses. I knew that this was William Kinsey McGowan
                                  when W.K. was further identified with "also known as
                                  Ken" when named as one of the heirs of George Moore,
                                  his maternal grandfather, along with his brother
                                  Mumford McGowan.
                                  Take the much-argued case of Thomas Jefferson's
                                  descendants which first sparked my interest.
                                  Did he or did he not father children by Sally
                                  Hemmings, his wife's half sister and part Negro?
                                  What the DNA came down to was that the Hemmings
                                  had Jefferson DNA and were finally allowed to
                                  participate in the Jefferson family reunion.
                                  Since for whatever reason nobody could prove that
                                  it was Thomas Jefferson himself, instead of an uncle
                                  or nephew or whoever, who had fathered the Hemmings
                                  line, there remain vocal defendants of Thomas
                                  Jefferson himself as a man who would never have
                                  fathered an out-of-wedlock child or who would never
                                  have fathered a child with his deceased wife's half
                                  sister or, again, whatever or whoever.
                                  What puzzles me, then, is how does a DNA service
                                  like the one Maury Povich supposedly uses identify
                                  positively who is the father of every disputed case
                                  brought to his show? A few times the reputed fathers
                                  were brothers and in one case twins.
                                  Is it possible to identify which of a set of
                                  twins or a set of identical twins is the father of a
                                  particular child?
                                  Do you know? Later, Carol

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 5, 2006
                                      Dear Paula,