Thomas Braxton and James Braxton and Martha Crawford and descendants

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      Dear Paula and group,
      I believe from Pitt Co. Census records showing
      James Braxton and Martha Crawford consistently
      residing near John Braxton and Sarah that these are
      the parents of James Braxton (1820), father of James
      Elias Braxton (1863).
      John Braxton is most likely the son of John Braxton
      and Hannah, I believe.
      I doubt that Thomas (no pun intended) if the
      records I have seen are correct and his birth date was
      1855. If he is my line, then John his son was born in
      1870. The first child or children of Thomas and
      Priscilla were born in 1874. Priscilla was several
      years older than Thomas, but I've seen nothing showing
      that Priscilla had a prior marriage or children from a
      prior marriage.
      I also find it hard to believe that John Braxton
      (1730) and Mary had a child before John, an indentured
      servant, was allowed to marry. His indenture would
      have been up in 1755.
      My question going back to our earliest North
      Carolina Braxton ancestor is was my descent: John &
      Mary; John (1770), John (1800), James (1820)?
      Was it John & Mary's son James, instead of John
      (1770)? Does anyone know what happened to James since
      only his name appears as a child of John and Mary? Who
      were his children?
      I know that Jesse was not my ancestor if he fathered
      Joel and I would have descended from Joel because
      Joel's male descendant moved to Florida, and all mine
      have stayed in Pitt all the way down to the present
      day.
      In my family the males are John, James, and
      Jesse--so this does not help very much--as well as
      Elias. The last John Braxton in my direct line was
      John, the brother of James Elias who married Sarah
      Sutton. Both James and Jesse continue in my family to
      the present day. I know of no Thomas in my daddy's
      line except for my first cousins.
      Do any and all of you lend me your thoughts. One
      source did say that Thomas Braxton was born in 1848
      instead of 1855. Do we have any records that would
      favor one date over the other? How about John Braxton
      who married Hannah? Was he born in 1770, or was it
      later?
      I do know that John (27) was living with James (30)
      and Martha Crawford in 1850. Does anyone know of a
      marriage record for this couple that would list the
      parents of James Braxton?
      I will be grateful for any light anyone can shed on
      the mystery. Thanks, Carol