Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Researching Stanley and Jackson family of Pitt county (Grimesland area)

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 18 , May 8, 2006
      I just talked to my mom who is also in Virginia and she too complained about the cold, wet day. She even has the heat on! We are sweltering in 90 degree drought with fires burning in areas as close as 5 miles away. A 1200 acre fire sent smoke and ashes our way for a little while when the wind shifted.

      I agree about the stories. I don't just want to know who was the son of who. I want to know who they were as people. I will never be able to know that but I can imagine that I do. I want to know why they lived in the locations they did and why they did the work that they did. What hardships and challenges they faced. Why they would leave homes and countries and family. I find myself lost in the centuries sometimes as well and I get so excited when I find the smallest tidbit of information. My sisters tease me that I like the dead family better then the live ones and can't understand why I would spend a day in the library when I visit Wilmington, NC instead of enjoying the beach with them!

      I have learned to love and appreciate history but just names and dates don't mean anything until you put it in context. Thanks for doing that with the Worthington's. :)

      Catherine