Re: [genpcncfir] WILLLIAMS CEMETERY ARTICLE

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2006
      Dear Jewelle,
      Thank you for sharing this delightful and touching
      article on the Williams Family Cemetery. The feature
      in the e-mail allowing readers to view the family
      members at the cemetery was priceless. I also thought
      the family had come up with a practical plan for the
      up-keep of the cemetery by assigning different
      branches of the family to be responsible for the
      cemetery for specific years. In this manner, no family
      member would have total responsibility for perpetual
      care of the cemetery. Having the family members
      themselves care for the cemetery also saved them from
      having to pay outsiders for the care. Another
      advantage is that nobody has more of a vested interest
      in a family cemetery than the family itself, and
      actually taking personal responsibility for the
      cemetery keeps family members connected. It's a
      wonderful way to promote family history as well. As
      Mrs. Curl herself pointed out, the cemetery is itself
      a book of family history.
      It's really sad that even today cemeteries are
      being lost to development and thatgraves are being
      moved to new locations. It's also sad that some of us
      still cannot find burial grounds mentioned in death
      certificates of relatives dying within the last
      century--like the Carney Family Burial Ground, for
      example, where some of my McGowan relatives were
      buried. Perhaps the story of the Williams Family
      Cemetery will inspire others to treasure their own
      family cemeteries and to take the younger generations
      to visit them and to cherish them in their turn. Carol

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/ymOolB/TM

      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2006
        Jewelle,
        Do you think your son would want to participate in the Baker DNA Project?
        It would cost about $180 for him to have a 35-marker test. You could buy it
        for him and ship it to him. All he would have to do is swab the inside of
        his mouth.

        Here is the website if you'd like to send the project page to him.

        www.bakerDNA.net

        Paula Anne Baker
        paulabaker69@...
        Greene County NC

        "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
        chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
        before us and showed us the way."

        Thomas Mann