Re: [genpcncfir] Digest Number 1818

  • Dani
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2006
      Very interesting! My great grandmother was Mary Elizabeth "Maide" McLawhorn
      who was the daughter of Jonathan McGlohorn and Susan Worthington. Susan was
      the daughter of Robert A Worthington. Are these the same Worthingtons? I
      have not done any work on them, yet, but have read all the messages about
      them Dani
      I was looking through my information, so the delay
      in replying. I found out through an online Worthington
      site that our family goes back to Hugh de Worthington
      in France before 1066. This Worthington fought with
      William of Normandy at the Battle of Hastings and was
      afterwards a member of his court in England.
      Subsequently, the family received titles from Edward
      III and established a family seat. One source said
      that until a few decades ago, the Worthington mansion
      was still standing. I do not know if it was damaged in
      the bombing during World War II or not, but the time
      frame for its demolition would fit.
      Another family member here in the New World whose
      family had settled near the Virginia-West Virginia
      border struck out on his own when his parents did not
      have enough land to give him for the support of
      himself and a family. He ended up in Worthington, Ohio
      and became the 6th governor of the state. In
      Worthington is to this day the Worthington Museum
      honoring the family. In fact, the name of the town was
      changed from an Indian name, according to the
      Worthington, Ohio website, to honor this ancestor.
      This website has pictures of the sons and daughters
      and brief biographies of them as well. It makes
      absolutely fascinating reading.
      Our family reunion for the Worthington Family is
      next month in Winterville at the Kiwannis Club
      Building--that's the usual location and I have not
      heard of any change in plans. If I have not been able
      to fill in the gaps for you by then, I will talk to
      family members and show them your information. Many of
      those of my generation who remained in Pitt know much
      more of the early ancestors from Bibles and
      information passed down to them through grandparents.
      Since my own grandparents died years before my birth,
      I never had the opportunity of listening to stories of
      their growing up and of their own parents. While my
      parents did not marry late, they had me late in their
      marriage. Later, Carol

> [...]
      > I never had the opportunity of listening to stories of
      > their growing up and of their own parents. While my
      > parents did not marry late, they had me late in their
      > marriage. Later, Carol
      >
      > --- Catherine <seadreamen@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi cousin many times removed! I can't keep all the
      > > spellings right but my line goes something like
      > > this...
      > >

      > > Solomon Witherington - from Maryland
      > > Thomas Witherington
      > > 'King'Solomon Witherington
      > > Solomon Witherington Jr
      > > John Herring Wetherington
      > > Claude H. Wetherington/Worthington
      > > Thomas H. Worthington
      > > Thomas H. Worthington Jr
      > > Me
      > > :)
      > >
      > > Do you have much info on 'our' Solomon and prior? I
      > > show a few more generations back but am not sure how

      would like to hear from you, the identified familes to date are: Rogers,
      Barnes, Woodard, Amason, Strickland, Webb, Taylor, Gardner, Overton, Flood,
      Brown. We would really like to hear from you! The Webb and Rogers family
      have done extensive research and have much to share with all of you. We are
      Iroquois with some Blackfoot added in much later in some of these lines. I
      am a Rogers, Barnes, Woodard, Amason and Taylor descendent. Please email me
      at ladyalone2001@....