Mad Stone

  • jonefa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      Has anyone heard about the "mad stones" that were collected from the insides of a deer and used for rabies and snake bites?

      I had never heard of them, but was reading one of the books on the ECU library site about Edgecombe County and read about it there first. I then googled mad stone and came up with other accounts of its being used.

      As many as three could be found inside a deer at one time, and they were used by placing the stone on top of the snake bite. If venom was still in the bite, the stone would cling to the bite. The stone would then be taken off, boiled in milk or water. The milk would turn green as the venom was removed from the stone. The stone could be placed on the bite as many times as needed. When the stone would no longer stick and fall off, you stopped.

      You couldn't sell the stones and you couldn't charge for its use, but people known to possess one of the mad stones were sought out in times of need.

      The use of the mad stones stopped when more modern medicine came about for the treatment of rabies and snake bites.

      Faye Hays

    • Fairy Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2006
        Yes, my sister saw an exhibit in Raleigh at the Science Museum a couple of
        years ago that included mad stones and she related the same information
        included in your e-mail.

        Fairy Bunn Williams

        > Has anyone heard about the "mad stones" that were collected from the
        > insides of a deer and used for rabies and snake bites?
        >
        > I had never heard of them, but was reading one of the books on the ECU
        > library site about Edgecombe County and read about it there first. I then
        > googled mad stone and came up with other accounts of its being used.
        >
        > As many as three could be found inside a deer at one time, and they were
        > used by placing the stone on top of the snake bite. If venom was still in
        > the bite, the stone would cling to the bite. The stone would then be taken
        > off, boiled in milk or water. The milk would turn green as the venom was
        > removed from the stone. The stone could be placed on the bite as many
        > times as needed. When the stone would no longer stick and fall off, you
        > stopped.
        >
        > You couldn't sell the stones and you couldn't charge for its use, but
        > people known to possess one of the mad stones were sought out in times of
        > need.
        >
        > The use of the mad stones stopped when more modern medicine came about for
        > the treatment of rabies and snake bites.
        >
        > Faye Hays

        > information:

      • jonefa
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2006
          I'm still not completely sure how they were formed....one account said that
          the stone could be formed from a "hair ball" much like when a cat licked its
          fur.
          Faye Hays

          > Has anyone heard about the "mad stones" that were collected from the
          > insides of a deer and used for rabies and snake bites?
          >
          > I had never heard of them, but was reading one of the books on the ECU
          > library site about Edgecombe County and read about it there first. I then
          > googled mad stone and came up with other accounts of its being used.
          >
          > As many as three could be found inside a deer at one time, and they were
          > used by placing the stone on top of the snake bite. If venom was still in
          > the bite, the stone would cling to the bite. The stone would then be taken
          > off, boiled in milk or water. The milk would turn green as the venom was
          > removed from the stone. The stone could be placed on the bite as many
          > times as needed. When the stone would no longer stick and fall off, you
          > stopped.
          >
          > You couldn't sell the stones and you couldn't charge for its use, but
          > people known to possess one of the mad stones were sought out in times of
          > need.
          >
          > The use of the mad stones stopped when more modern medicine came about for
          > the treatment of rabies and snake bites.
          >
          > Faye Hays

          > information:

          Pitt County Historical Society:

          information:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fairy Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2006
            I don't know either. I never followed up on any research after my sister
            asked me if I knew what "mad stones" were and then explained what she had
            seen.

            Fairy Williams

            > I'm still not completely sure how they were formed....one account said
            > that
            > the stone could be formed from a "hair ball" much like when a cat licked
            > its
            > fur.
            > Faye Hays

          • Rhet Wilkinson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2006
              How interesting. I had never heard of that. Rhet Wilkinson
[...]

              North carolina Genealogy research

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2006
                Thanks Fay... I learn something new every day.

                Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of
                battle.