Re: Richard Edwards

  • william_steven_fulford
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 25 8:35 AM
      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
      wrote:

      > Need help with wife of Richard Edwards, Feraby. Richard was
      probably from
      > Greene Co. What was Feraby's maiden name? Richard died abt. 1841.

      I have a death certificate on a Joseph John Fulford (b1851-d1927)
      that
      lists his father as Reddin Bryant Fulford (b1824-d1914) of Pitt
      County
      and his mother as Martha Edwards (b1828-d1903) of Greene County.

      In 1850, Fereby Edwards (55) and Susan Norris (51) are living next
      door to Redding (25), his wife Martha (25), his one year old son
      William Benjamin and Reddin's mother Rebecca (50).

      Martha Edwards is belived to be the daughter of Fereby Edwards. I
      belive Fereby shows up again on the 1840 Pitt county census six
      names
      above Rebecca Fulford...both Phereby Edwards and
      Susan Norris....so maybe your Richard died 1839-1840 ??

      William Steven Fulford
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 25 11:33 AM
        Dear Judy,
        Trish writes that she has the address if you mean
        Dorothy "Dot" Harris Worthington, Mrs. J. B.
        Worthington. She sends her phone number: (252)
        355-6550. Your "Dot" is the wife of the son of our
        grandfather's brother, our Uncle Jim Blaine
        Worthington. He ran a store at Worthington's
        Crossroads on County Home Road. Across from Uncle
        Jim's store was that of my Cousin Clarence Crawford. I
        haunted both, but especially that of Cousin Clarence.
        If Uncle Jim had thought about it at all, he must
        have thought me crazy. Just a first-grader when I
        started going to the store on my own (with permission,
        of course) a mile from our house, I know that inspite
        of having been taught better, I could not help staring
        at Uncle Jim.
        I wanted to pinch myself to see if I were awake
        every time I saw him. I couldn't believe that right
        here before my eyes was a man who had grown up with my
        grandfather, who had died before I was even thought
        about!
        I always wished that he could read my mind and
        guess that I wanted him to tell me about my
        grandfather--everything he could possibly remember.
        That's how a child's mind works. If only I had been
        older and smarter, I would have asked.
        His store was always crowded with men he seemed to
        know well standing around his stove. I did not know
        any of them, and I thought it would be rude of me to
        say anything in front of his friends.
        Uncle Jim always gave me candy or a treat, and I
        wonder if he thought I went there for treats when that
        had never even crossed my mind. I wanted only to get
        to know my great uncle and through him, my
        grandfather.
        Had I had any idea of that we would leave
        everything and move to Virginia, I would have risked
        being thought the most presumptious child on earth to
        tell Uncle Jim the truth.
        Perhaps I will be lucky enough that some relative
        now living will tell me about Uncle Jim himself.
        At times, I feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up a
        100 years later with everybody dead except for a few
        people, their childhoods long past,reading faces as
        intently as a book to see the child reflected there.
        It really makes me appreciate Rip Van Winkle and
        what it must be like to come back seemingly from the
        dead. A person doesn't ever really get over something
        like this. Later, Carol

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 25 11:53 AM
          Dear Marcia,
          I didn't think about that! From what Trish wrote, I
          ASSUMED Jim Blaine, since Jim Blaine, Jr. was always
          called "J. B." by the family--even though I never knew
          him well enough to know him if I saw him since he was
          a grown-up already. He bought our famil homeplace when
          Mama sold it before moving to Virginia.
          Jim Blaine Worthington, Sr. was my great uncle.
          Later, Carol

          --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 25 11:54 AM
            I guess my question was if my Fereby was Fereby Edwards before she married
            Richard Edwards. She could have been or the widow of Richard Edwards could
            be living in Edgecombe and that would make her your Fereby Edwards:) In
            1840 there is a Fereby Edwards in Greene.

            Paula Anne Baker
            paulabaker69@...
            Greene County NC

            "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
            chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
            before us and showed us the way."

            Thomas Mann
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 25 11:59 AM
              That last posting was a bit mixed up. Pheraby Edwards was in Pitt, not
              Greene, in 1840. And there was something else wrong with what I wrote but
              I can't remember what it was.

              Paula Anne Baker
              paulabaker69@...
              Greene County NC

              "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
              chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
              before us and showed us the way."

              Thomas Mann
            • Trish Worthington Cobb
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 25 2:48 PM
                James Blaine Worthington was the father.
                His first son was James Alton called "Buddy"
                J. B., the third son, was not a junior. He was named Johnny Burton.

                Trish

                On Apr 25, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Carol Singh wrote:

                > Dear Marcia,
                > I didn't think about that! From what Trish wrote, I
                > ASSUMED Jim Blaine, since Jim Blaine, Jr. was always
                > called "J. B." by the family--even though I never knew
                > him well enough to know him if I saw him since he was
                > a grown-up already. He bought our famil homeplace when
                > Mama sold it before moving to Virginia.
                > Jim Blaine Worthington, Sr. was my great uncle.
                > Later, Carol
                >
                > --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> Was Dot marriage to
                >> J. B. Worthington b:03 Dec 1922 d:27 Jun 1990?
                >>
                >> Is he Johnny Burton Worthington
                >> or James Blaim Worthington, Jr?
                >>
                >> Is he the son of James Blaine Worthington, Sr?
                >>
                >> Marcia
                >>

                >> --- skipper4095386@... wrote:
                >>
                >>> Carol,
                >>> He was known as J. B. and is deceased....Judy
                >>>

                >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been
                >>> removed]

                >> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
                >> protection around
                >> http://mail.yahoo.com

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
                >

                > Pitt County Historical Society: http://
                > www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/
                >
                > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for description and
                > ordering information:

                > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order
                > Form: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/
                > pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm
                >
                > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources: http://
                > www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

                > group if you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in
                > Pitt and all Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.

              • Trish Worthington Cobb
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 25 3:00 PM
                  Just a note, James Blaine Worthington was named for James Blaine, a
                  politician who ran unsuccessfully against Grover Cleveland in the
                  presidential election.
                  His brother born in 1885, my grandfather, was named Grover Cleveland
                  Worthington.

                  Trish

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 25 3:07 PM
                    Dear Trish,
                    I knew that you would know. As I told Marcia, I
                    ASSUMED! All of us know what that means!
                    I remember seeing "J.B." a couple of times when I
                    was about 10 or 11. He came to the house to talk to
                    Mama and Uncle Mark on occasion. I ASSUMED as I said
                    that since I knew Uncle Jim was Jim Blaine, I assumed
                    that "J.B." was "J.B." because he and his dad had the
                    same name. Between assumptions and initials, I had a
                    problem, and my relatives were still living.
                    I am glad I made the mistake, though. If I had not,
                    Trish, I would still be confused. My mistake also
                    makes me appreciate more than ever the importance of
                    asking questions, even if someone else might think
                    them foolish. Later, Carol

                    --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 25 3:11 PM
                      Dear Trish,
                      Having this information also made me think that
                      "J.B.," the son was James "Jim" Blaine" and named for
                      his father.
                      By the way, I have a book of incredibly descriptive
                      biographies of historical figures. Among these are one
                      of James Blaine and one of Grover Cleveland. Upon
                      reading them, I was so proud that my great uncles were
                      named for these men.
                      Next on my list of things to do was to bring the
                      book to show you. The book was written during the
                      administration of President Franklin Roosevelt, in the
                      early 1940's. Later, Carol

                      wrote:

                      > Just a note, James Blaine Worthington was named for
                      > James Blaine, a
                      > politician who ran unsuccessfully against Grover
                      > Cleveland in the
                      > presidential election.
                      > His brother born in 1885, my grandfather, was named
                      > Grover Cleveland
                      > Worthington.
                      >
                      > Trish
                      >

                      > On Apr 25, 2006, at 5:48 PM, Trish Worthington Cobb
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > James Blaine Worthington was the father.
                      > > His first son was James Alton called "Buddy"
                      > > J. B., the third son, was not a junior. He was
                      > named Johnny Burton.
                      > >
                      > > Trish
                      > >
                      > > On Apr 25, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Carol Singh wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> Dear Marcia,
                      > >> I didn't think about that! From what Trish
                      > wrote, I
                      > >> ASSUMED Jim Blaine, since Jim Blaine, Jr. was
                      > always
                      > >> called "J. B." by the family--even though I never
                      > knew
                      > >> him well enough to know him if I saw him since he
                      > was
                      > >> a grown-up already. He bought our famil homeplace
                      > when
                      > >> Mama sold it before moving to Virginia.
                      > >> Jim Blaine Worthington, Sr. was my great
                      > uncle.
                      > >> Later, Carol
                      > >>
                      > >> --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

                    • Trish Worthington Cobb
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 25 6:41 PM
                        Carol,
                        That would be very interesting. Why not bring it to the family
                        reunion? I am sure my Uncle John Adrian would want to read it. He
                        is the one who pointed out the connection of their names to history.
                        Trish

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 26 9:15 AM
                          Dear Trish,
                          I will do that. By the way, since I am about sure
                          that few if any other copies exist, I will be happy to
                          give it to Uncle John, especially if it is something
                          that would probably mean more to him than to anyone
                          else. The book, if I remember correctly, belonged to
                          Mama. From books like this one, I acquired a love and
                          appreciation for history. This book was all the more
                          precious because it helped me understand why my uncles
                          were named for two of the subjects of this book.