Researching Stanley and Jackson family of Pitt county (Grimesland area)

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 17, 2006
      Hello friends and cousins,

      I am trying to find info on Stanley's and Jackson's in the Pitt
      county area.

      This is what I know:

      John Andrew Stanley married 2nd wife Annie (Barbour or Barbara?)
      Jackson. Mr. Stanley worked for the goverment but lost his job and
      pension in the depression. He worked as a janitor for the school
      system after that time. He was 54 when my grandmother was born in
      1915 so he would have been born about 1861? I know nothing more
      about his family other then the names of the children.

      Annie Jackson was the daughter of Henry and Eliza Jackson. Annie
      was about 11 years younger then her husband.

      I have found a reference on the internet that shows Henry D. Jackson
      and Eliza Jackson as marrying on 12/11/1877. It shows Henry as
      being the son of Jessie and Ellen Jackson. I don't have any family
      info to back any of that up however.

      Does anybody have any references to Stanley or Jackson? This would
      have been the Grimesland area. My grandmother (who recently turned
      90) thinks that her mother, Annie Jackson died in Grimesland and may
      be buried in Washington. Her father, John Andrew Stanley died in
      Newport News, VA and may also have been buried in in Washington.

      Stanley children (of both marriages) were:

      Annie
      Jackie
      Nell
      Carl
      Heber
      Roy
      Reba
      There may have been a grandchild Auston Parvin? or similar name who
      was raised by the Stanleys as well.

      If this rings any bells, I'd love to find some connections.

      Oh, my grandmother Reba married Thomas Worthington, son of Claude
      Worthington (of the Craven County Wetherington's). My dad, Thomas
      Jr was born at home in Ayden.

      Catherine Worthington
    • rootspuzzle
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
        d:2.8.40 Stanley, Annie J (W)
        Jackson, Henry
        Waters, Eliza
        Chicod s: www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/pittdc/st2.htm

        Henry JACKSON born abt 1846 died (age 81) 27 Dec 1927
        Father: Jim Mother: Helen
        Pitt Co. Deaths

        1920 Pitt Co. Chicod 114-116
        Henry JACKSON 72
        Eliza 60
        Henry A PARVIN 13 grandson

        1910 Pitt Co Chicod 447-453
        Henry JACKSON 60 md 1: 30
        Liza 54 md 2: 30 5ch- 2 liv
        Annie PARVICE? 27 wd daug 1ch-1 liv seamstress
        Henry 4 gson

        1900 Pitt Co Chicod 199-199 (200-200)
        Henry D JACKSON 53 b: July 1846 md: 21 yrs
        Elizza 5? b: May? 1846/48 4 ch- 2 liv
        Julia 28 b: Mar 1872 (f)
        Lillie 19? b: jan 18__
        Annie 19 b: sept 1880 (sister)

        1880 Pitt Co Chicod
        Henry JACKSON 27
        Lizer 25
        Julian _____LEY 7 w-son
        Anna WATERS? 69 w-mother

        1870 Beaufort Co. Washington twp 583-583
        Elen JACKSON 40
        Henry 18
        Charles 14
        Thomas 12
        Owen/Orren 10

        1930 Pitt Co Chicod twp Grimesland Village Church Street 69-77
        Austin PARVIN 24
        Maggie 20
        Austin Jr. 7months

        Hope some of this helps.
        Sue

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine" <seadreamen@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello friends and cousins,
        >
        > I am trying to find info on Stanley's and Jackson's in the Pitt
        > county area.
        >
        > This is what I know:
        >
        > John Andrew Stanley married 2nd wife Annie (Barbour or Barbara?)
        > Jackson. Mr. Stanley worked for the goverment but lost his job
        and
        > pension in the depression. He worked as a janitor for the school
        > system after that time. He was 54 when my grandmother was born in
        > 1915 so he would have been born about 1861? I know nothing more
        > about his family other then the names of the children.
        >
        > Annie Jackson was the daughter of Henry and Eliza Jackson. Annie
        > was about 11 years younger then her husband.
        >
        > I have found a reference on the internet that shows Henry D.
        Jackson
        > and Eliza Jackson as marrying on 12/11/1877. It shows Henry as
        > being the son of Jessie and Ellen Jackson. I don't have any
        family
        > info to back any of that up however.
        >
        > Does anybody have any references to Stanley or Jackson? This
        would
        > have been the Grimesland area. My grandmother (who recently
        turned
        > 90) thinks that her mother, Annie Jackson died in Grimesland and
        may
        > be buried in Washington. Her father, John Andrew Stanley died in
        > Newport News, VA and may also have been buried in in Washington.
        >
        > Stanley children (of both marriages) were:
        >
        > Annie
        > Jackie
        > Nell
        > Carl
        > Heber
        > Roy
        > Reba
        > There may have been a grandchild Auston Parvin? or similar name
        who
        > was raised by the Stanleys as well.
        >
        > If this rings any bells, I'd love to find some connections.
        >
        > Oh, my grandmother Reba married Thomas Worthington, son of Claude
        > Worthington (of the Craven County Wetherington's). My dad, Thomas
        > Jr was born at home in Ayden.
        >
        > Catherine Worthington

      • Catherine
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
          Thank you so very much Sue! I am amazed and in awe of how quickly you found info and responded. This group is wonderful!

          Thanks!!!

          Catherine Worthington

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
            Dear Catherine,
            Your Worthingtons are probably our Worthingtons,
            too. We have several spellings of the name and quite a
            few relatives in the Ayden area. Many of us were also
            born at home.
            I am glad that someone from our group was able to
            give you the information you requested on your
            families. Later, Carol

            === message truncated ===

          • Catherine
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
              My Worthington's came from Craven County and changed their name to Worthington when they moved to Pitt County. They were Wetherington's before then. We come from 'King' Solomon Wetherington of Tuscarora. Is that your line? I'm sure we are all related somwhere down the line. :)

              I'm in Florida and it's hard for me to research everyting I want to. Someday, I'd love to visit Ayden.

              Catherine

              === message truncated ===

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
                Dear Catherine,
                It must be. We came from Craven, too. Small world,
                isn't it?
                We have the Worthington Family Reunion the last
                Saturday in June in Winterville. It would be great if
                you could come.
                The early male Worthingtons in our line are
                Solomon, Speir or Spire, Ambrose, Jeremiah (d. c
                1906), wife Elizabeth Forbes; Alfred (1845-1906), wife
                Sarah Frances McGowan; and Alfred (c.1873-1906),wife
                Jennie Secession McGowan.
                We also have the Pitt County Family Researchers'
                Reunion in October, the weekend of Columbus Day, in
                Greenville. At both the Worthington Family Reunion and
                this one, there are plenty of opportunities to sit and
                talk and share information, and nobody anywhere can
                beat the food.
                It would be wonderful if you could make either or
                both of these reunions. Later, Carol

                === message truncated ===

              • Catherine
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
                  Ah ha, we are cousins! Distantly through Solomon.

                  I wish I could come to the reunion. I know there is one in Craven county every summer also. Thanks for the invite!

                  I would love to spend a summer traveling the roads of family history and meeting cousins.... Someday....

                  === message truncated ===

                • Trish Worthington Cobb
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
                    Catherine,

                    Carol's and my Worthington line is also from Craven County, but we
                    descend from the original Solomon Witherington who came into Craven
                    County, NC from Calvert County, MD, sometime bef 1730.
                    He is thought to be a grandfather of your 'King' Solomon Wetherington
                    of Tuscarora.

                    Trish

                    On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Catherine wrote:

                    > My Worthington's came from Craven County and changed their name to
                    > Worthington when they moved to Pitt County. They were
                    > Wetherington's before then. We come from 'King' Solomon
                    > Wetherington of Tuscarora. Is that your line? I'm sure we are all
                    > related somwhere down the line. :)
                    >
                    > I'm in Florida and it's hard for me to research everyting I want
                    > to. Someday, I'd love to visit Ayden.
                    >
                    > Catherine
                    >

                    > Catherine

                  • Catherine
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
                      Hi cousin many times removed! I can't keep all the spellings right but my line goes something like this...

                      Solomon Witherington - from Maryland
                      Thomas Witherington
                      'King'Solomon Witherington
                      Solomon Witherington Jr
                      John Herring Wetherington
                      Claude H. Wetherington/Worthington
                      Thomas H. Worthington
                      Thomas H. Worthington Jr
                      Me
                      :)

                      Do you have much info on 'our' Solomon and prior? I show a few more generations back but am not sure how valid any of it is.

                      Catherine

                      Catherine

                      Carol's and my Worthington line is also from Craven County, but we
                      descend from the original Solomon Witherington who came into Craven
                      County, NC from Calvert County, MD, sometime bef 1730.
                      He is thought to be a grandfather of your 'King' Solomon Wetherington
                      of Tuscarora.

                      Trish

                      On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Catherine wrote:

                      > My Worthington's came from Craven County and changed their name to
                      > Worthington when they moved to Pitt County. They were
                      > Wetherington's before then. We come from 'King' Solomon
                      > Wetherington of Tuscarora. Is that your line? I'm sure we are all
                      > related somwhere down the line. :)
                      >
                      > I'm in Florida and it's hard for me to research everyting I want
                      > to. Someday, I'd love to visit Ayden.
                      >
                      > Catherine
                      >

                      > Catherine

                      North carolina Genealogy research

                    • Trish Worthington Cobb
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 20, 2006
                        Catherine,

                        Robert Widdrington (Witherington) who died in 1722, Christ's Church
                        Parish, Calvert County, MD, is the father of Solomon and his brother
                        John who came to Craven County, NC.

                        Robert Widdrington has been proved by his will. He is thought to
                        have come from England (possibly Northumberland area). Research has
                        been done to try to determine his parents and there are some
                        candidates, but so far it has not been proven.

                        Robert's wife was named Elizabeth. Previously she was thought to be
                        a Dare, but now it is thought she was actually a CLEVERLY.

                        The WITHERINGTON-L rootsweb list follows this line. There is a lot
                        of information on the research in the WITHERINGTON-L list archives.

                        Trish

                        On Apr 20, 2006, at 10:48 PM, Catherine wrote:

                        > Hi cousin many times removed! I can't keep all the spellings right
                        > but my line goes something like this...
                        >
                        > Solomon Witherington - from Maryland
                        > Thomas Witherington
                        > 'King'Solomon Witherington
                        > Solomon Witherington Jr
                        > John Herring Wetherington
                        > Claude H. Wetherington/Worthington
                        > Thomas H. Worthington
                        > Thomas H. Worthington Jr
                        > Me
                        >
                        > Do you have much info on 'our' Solomon and prior? I show a few
                        > more generations back but am not sure how valid any of it is.
                        > Catherine

                      • Catherine
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 21, 2006
                          Thanks Trish. You were the one that helped me make the connection years ago. :)

                        • Elizabeth Roebuck
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 21, 2006
                            I am sick and I will send you the wills if I can get your snail mail address

                            Annette Ginn Roebuck, Senior Sis

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 24, 2006
                              Dear Trish,
                              Maryland was a Catholic colony. Many of the
                              families who settled there, though of course not all,
                              were Catholics. Among the settlers there was the
                              Ormond ancestor of our Cherry line. In Ireland, his
                              land bordered that of the Carroll family. Both settled
                              in Calvert County, Maryland when they came to this
                              country--only it wasn't yet "this country."
                              Suprisingly, though, despite Maryland's being a
                              Catholic colony, having been settled by Lord
                              Baltimore, Catholics fared little better there.
                              Certain professions were closed to them, and many
                              universities would not accept them. The Carroll family
                              I mentioned had one child, a son. He and a cousin of
                              his were sent together to France for college because
                              they were not allowed to attend college in England.
                              No doubt everyone knows that there are still
                              Worthingtons today living in Calvert County, Maryland,
                              but I do not know myself if they are descendants of
                              our Robert. Perhaps some of you can help here. Every
                              now and then, their wedding announcements appear in
                              the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Later, Carol

                              --- Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 25, 2006
                                Dear Trish,
                                Thanks for providing this information. I was not
                                aware of there having been two men named Solomon
                                Worthington. That is why I limited my response. I knew
                                that I needed more information since I had never heard
                                of our ancestor's having been called "King" Solomon.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 4, 2006
                                  Dear Catherine,
                                  I was looking through my information, so the delay
                                  in replying. I found out through an online Worthington
                                  site that our family goes back to Hugh de Worthington
                                  in France before 1066. This Worthington fought with
                                  William of Normandy at the Battle of Hastings and was
                                  afterwards a member of his court in England.
                                  Subsequently, the family received titles from Edward
                                  III and established a family seat. One source said
                                  that until a few decades ago, the Worthington mansion
                                  was still standing. I do not know if it was damaged in
                                  the bombing during World War II or not, but the time
                                  frame for its demolition would fit.
                                  Another family member here in the New World whose
                                  family had settled near the Virginia-West Virginia
                                  border struck out on his own when his parents did not
                                  have enough land to give him for the support of
                                  himself and a family. He ended up in Worthington, Ohio
                                  and became the 6th governor of the state. In
                                  Worthington is to this day the Worthington Museum
                                  honoring the family. In fact, the name of the town was
                                  changed from an Indian name, according to the
                                  Worthington, Ohio website, to honor this ancestor.
                                  This website has pictures of the sons and daughters
                                  and brief biographies of them as well. It makes
                                  absolutely fascinating reading.
                                  Our family reunion for the Worthington Family is
                                  next month in Winterville at the Kiwannis Club
                                  Building--that's the usual location and I have not
                                  heard of any change in plans. If I have not been able
                                  to fill in the gaps for you by then, I will talk to
                                  family members and show them your information. Many of
                                  those of my generation who remained in Pitt know much
                                  more of the early ancestors from Bibles and
                                  information passed down to them through grandparents.
                                  Since my own grandparents died years before my birth,
                                  I never had the opportunity of listening to stories of
                                  their growing up and of their own parents. While my
                                  parents did not marry late, they had me late in their
                                  marriage. Later, Carol

                                • Catherine
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 8, 2006
                                    Hi Carol,

                                    I loved the information you gave. It wasn't just a name here or there but it told a story. :)

                                    When next month is the reunion?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 8, 2006
                                      Dear Catherine,
                                      It's good to hear from you, especially on this 50
                                      degree, rainy Richmond, Virginia day.
                                      To me, it's the stories that flesh out our
                                      ancestors and bring them back to life that are
                                      fascinating. Sometimes, like today, after hours of
                                      sifting through records, I feel that time has
                                      disappeared and that I am living in two or three
                                      centuries simultaneously as I read.
                                      I am trying to take the pieces and put them
                                      together to form complete lives of as many of our
                                      family as I can. Then I would like to publish them so
                                      that others can also get to know their kin.
                                      On my next trip to Greenville, I plan to visit
                                      Death Records. In preparation, I've copied from
                                      on-line the volume and page number of as many as I had
                                      time to copy. From the records themselves, I will get
                                      cause of death, informant, and place of burial. If I
                                      find additional records on our Worthingtons, I will
                                      share these with you. I also plan to leaf through as
                                      many of the Historical Society volumes as I can and
                                      will photocopy as much as I can bring back home of
                                      their contents. This year I plan, in addition, to join
                                      the Historical Society.
                                      I am glad that I could help, if even in a small
                                      way. Later, Carol

                                      === message truncated ===

                                    • Catherine
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 8, 2006
                                        I just talked to my mom who is also in Virginia and she too complained about the cold, wet day. She even has the heat on! We are sweltering in 90 degree drought with fires burning in areas as close as 5 miles away. A 1200 acre fire sent smoke and ashes our way for a little while when the wind shifted.

                                        I agree about the stories. I don't just want to know who was the son of who. I want to know who they were as people. I will never be able to know that but I can imagine that I do. I want to know why they lived in the locations they did and why they did the work that they did. What hardships and challenges they faced. Why they would leave homes and countries and family. I find myself lost in the centuries sometimes as well and I get so excited when I find the smallest tidbit of information. My sisters tease me that I like the dead family better then the live ones and can't understand why I would spend a day in the library when I visit Wilmington, NC instead of enjoying the beach with them!

                                        I have learned to love and appreciate history but just names and dates don't mean anything until you put it in context. Thanks for doing that with the Worthington's. :)

                                        === message truncated ===

                                        North carolina Genealogy research